Contact us

What is your first Eurovision memory you can remember?

Alaska49

DESGOSTENG
love him!! his first albums were so weirdly produced and dramatic and gay. no idea why i thought alexander rybak was in any way similar though.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
so weirdly produced and dramatic and gay

giphy.gif

Alaska49

excuse me but how is that attempt at looking like a crooner gay? the only person allowed to be a gay crooner in the world is juri pootsman!!

aletem

1998, the first time Macedonia officially participated in the contest and remember watching Vlado's performance as well as the voting. I voted for UK, my family voted for Croatia. The voting was tense and we made Dana International win the contest (thankfully, as the song was and still is amazing). My family used to watch Eurovision from long ago and they used to cheer and back Yugoslavia back in the days when Riva won, Tajci, Daniel, Vajta, Doris, Novi Fosili and others. They still even remember some of the songs too. xshock

Gitte

Watching Tom Dice perform, the first time Belgium qualified since the existence of semi-finals.

Courtzer

My first memory is Verka Serduchka in 2007, I remember me and my sister cheering on the tinfoil robot men
We also joked that year because Ireland had 0 points for so long that we would go on holidays to whatever country gave us any points that year
Albania ended up being the only country to give us points (we never went on holidays there but I might go someday to commemorate this)
I remained a casual watcher (only watching Ireland's semi final and the final) up until last year when I became obsessed and have been listening to Eurovision songs non stop for the last 9 10 months

Hayato

2003, I was 13 years old. It was Sertab. xheart That was the only song I saw because it was my bedtime and I loved it, all the belly dancing. I had no idea what Eurovision was as I lived in Australia then! (...could never have imagined Australia ever competing - all those years I felt so left out and far away!). Woke up the next day to find out she won.

In 2004 I went to Turkey incidentally and bought all her old casettes. Then suddenly later that year Sertab came to Sydney just for one concert. I got front row tickets and I must have stood out being blond and the only non-Turk there. She was beaming at me throughout the whole concert and I got to shake her hand (the longest handshake of ANYONE!) for at least 5 seconds (and she was shaking her head at me in excitement) during an encore of 'Everyway That I Can' at the end. It felt so surreal and i'll will absolutely never forget that night!

I've watched Eurovision every year since then, so pretty much a die hard fan. :)

goncalovieira

With only 4 years old, I remmember Natasha St Pier. After that, Rita Guerra in 2003 and Urban Trad too. It was an obsession until find their song after some years

Ezio

Veteran
My first memory is from 1989.

I was watching children's news on ORF ("Mini-ZiB") and there was a report about Thomas Forstner placing 5th in Song Contest in Lausanne and that he was leading for some time, which was a historic moment, because Austria wasn't leading since 1966, I guess (maybe 1972 or 1976, I dunno).

I got very excited and I was watching in 1990 the national selection, which was quite scandalous, because the actual winners were disqualified later and the singer fainted on stage. They sent Simone, whose song I really enjoyed. In Zagreb, I remember that the Spanish duo needed to reprise due to technical difficulties and that my father was upset, that Italy won, because he did not like the song.

I am not sure, but I have vague memories about a pre-contest show in 1987, 1988.

I was always more interested in the competition and not really in the music. For me, most songs were really hard to listen to, especially as a kid.

Ezio

Veteran
With only 4 years old, I remmember Natasha St Pier. After that, Rita Guerra in 2003 and Urban Trad too. It was an obsession until find their song after some years

I was so obsessed with Rita Guerra. I loved her entry so much. I still know they lyrics by heart. everlasting gem! so underrated

goncalovieira

In that night, her brother died. Poor Rita! She was an isolated light in our trail after 90s.

CaraMia

I was zapping back in 2005 and suddenly a Belarussian lady taking off dresses and singing a catchy song caught my attention. So my first memory is Angelica Agurbash singing "Love Me Tonight". However, I have to admit I only became a ESC fan two days later after watching Shiri Maimon singing "Hasheket Shenishar" in the final. :)

midnightsun

Veteran
.. there was a report about Thomas Forstner placing 5th in Song Contest in Lausanne...

Memo to myself: writing down Thomas Forstner - Nur ein Lied in the "guilty pleasure" thread. I love that song, honestly. Schlager at its best! And his hair! xlove

They sent Simone, whose song I really enjoyed.

Keine Mauern is such a great song, one of my favourites that year, but it was an outstandingly good year, so almost every song was kind of favourite of mine. :mrgreen:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I think it's the day after the Grand Final in 2011. People seemed to suddenly realize there was a country called Azerbaijan :rolleyes:
My parents weren't interested in ESC so we never watched it, but the years that followed we still caught the last contestants and the voting part.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
I was 6, when i was introduced to ESC in 2002, i have watched every show since :-)

My favourite was Malta (Ira Losco) 7th wonder. Also my country (Denmark) got last place in 2002, what a start.

MyHeartIsYours

Jemimi singing and getting nul points at Eurovision 2003 after we were all expecting to do well lol (first time I had ever heard of Eurovision!)

Realising on the Saturday afternoon that Eurovision 2004 was on that night and I was like "OMG I loved that show!"

Being a massive fan of Katie Price aka Jordan and supporting/voting for her at Eurovision: Making Your Mind Up 2005 then being mad coz she came second.

Being put off Eurovision 2005 coz I kept thinking Jordan should be here!!! But watching it anyway and loving Malta and also Denmark.

Being a massive Eurovision fan from 2006 onwards, Athens being my favourite year and watching the show for years afterwards!

LOL

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
This is my first memory of Eurovision:

esc1988.jpg

Tommy Körberg performing our wonderful entry Stad i Ljus and that vast lit-up grid stage that seemed to stretch on for miles. This was back in 1988 and I was four years old. I knew about Eurovision and Melodifestivalen at that point, and I watched both (until I fell asleep). I still love that stage!

My next big memory that stands out is from 1989, and going to buy the vinyl single of the Swedish entry, En Dag. That song and Stad i Ljus from the year before are still my most favorite Swedish entries.

1990 and most importantly 1991 is when I became a proper obsessed fan. I remember which songs were my favorites in 1990 and have several visual memories of the show (like Switzerland's white violin), but in 1991 we even watched all the preview videos several times before Eurovision started (with the magic of VHS), so I knew all the songs by heart by the time the actual contest came around. 1991 is still my most favorite year. xheart

Ianp16

This is my first memory of Eurovision:

esc1988.jpg

Tommy Körberg performing our wonderful entry Stad i Ljus and that vast lit-up grid stage that seemed to stretch on for miles. This was back in 1988 and I was four years old. I knew about Eurovision and Melodifestivalen at that point, and I watched both (until I fell asleep). I still love that stage!

My next big memory that stands out is from 1989, and going to buy the vinyl single of the Swedish entry, En Dag. That song and Stad i Ljus from the year before are still my most favorite Swedish entries.

1990 and most importantly 1991 is when I became a proper obsessed fan. I remember which songs were my favorites in 1990 and have several visual memories of the show (like Switzerland's white violin), but in 1991 we even watched all the preview videos several times before Eurovision started (with the magic of VHS), so I knew all the songs by heart by the time the actual contest came around. 1991 is still my most favorite year. xheart

Do you prefer the show now or then?

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Do you prefer the show now or then?
Definitely then! And not just the years I grew up watching, but the decades before then as well (I've listened to the songs from every single year multiple times and have also watched all the shows from every single year). Will always prefer the 1950s-1990s over the 2000s-2010s. There were better and more high quality songs back then, more focus on the actual songs (instead of artist or stage performance), live orchestra, songs in so many different languages, etc. Of course Eurovision now is still great and I still enjoy it, but it was just better in the past.

Top Bottom