Contact us

What is your first Eurovision memory you can remember?

tomos2019

My earliest memory is of the voting in Eurovision 2001, then I vaguely remember having dinner while some songs of the 2003 contest was on, I remember Scooch winning the national final but not their performance at Eurovision and then of course 2009 was when I got into it properly after hearing Sakis Rouvas-This is Our Night!

Laepo1

I remember Dana International winning in 1998. But the next memory I have is being incredibly happy at Sertab Erener victory in 2003.

burrito

My earliest one must be my parents loving LT United in 2006 and of course, Lordi winning right after that. I also remember listening over and over again to Sibel Tuzun's Superstar xheart weidly enough, I don't remember Ich Troje representing Poland back then (it must have been quite a thing to talk about, since Ich Troje was a huge band in the 00's). I was 11 in 2006, so I am quite amazed by that I can't remember anything before that :D

Sabiondo

I been watching the contest since :ee: 2002 when Operacion Triunfo was really popular in :es: back then and i watched the program accidentally changing channels and then i watched the hole show (except the voting until the evening when i found that :lv: won) and next year i watched the hole contest due :ru: T.a.T.u (by then very popular in Latin America & :us:) and i became ESC hook up for life!

hijirio

Veteran
I got to know about the contest in 2003 when Sertab won, but don't remember much about the following years.

I remember singing :sl: 2007 all day the day after the final. Our commentator preached the act like crazy, saying it's one of the contenders to win.
Also I remember loathing :dk: from the same year. I found it outrageous and thought ESC is slowly turning into a circus. (I don't miss that 12 year old homophobe me lol)
After 12 years, now it's actually my fave Danish entry ever

:am: was the most memorable act in 2008, in a good way, and :ba: in a bad way haha

then from 2009 on i started to listen to songs before the contest, just to know who are rivals of my sweet Hadise xheart

Daybreak

My first memory watching Eurovision is from 1996, when I was 8 and which is also the first time Estonia got a top 10 result. I remember quite a lot about it; I think they still had a map graphic back then during the voting and it was the first time I had heard of Oslo :lol: I fell asleep before it ended and so I don't actually remember Ireland's winning song, since I just heard it once and it didn't become a radio hit like several other winners from my childhood. I also really liked Gina G's song which isn't a surprise since I was already a fan of electronic music as a kid (at this point mostly eurodance like this).

GlamSIMorous

My parents have LOVED Eurovision ever since I can remember. So with 3 I remember Charlotte Perelli's victory, because my parents had wood wedding anniversary and me and brothers (we're triplets so yeah, all kinda loud and stuff during the party) were watching the ESC, since it was late, they were partying in our garden and we were too hyped to go to bed. And after that I watched Eurovision with my parents and brothers every year, it was one of the hightlights each year. And I still watch it with them. No matter what comes our way, what events happen on the Grand finale night, we always cancel them ... We all love Eurovision! I kinda get them hyped each year by teasing all entries.

My biggest memories are "Fly on the wings", my parents love that song still and owned the CD. And I was being introduced to National Finals in 2008, because I saw Charlotte Perelli's Melodifestivalen performance on YouTube, believing that Eurovision wasnt live actually and prerecorded. That was because the performances of Sweden always look so alike. And from 2013 on I followed these NFs constantly, being hyped about Eurovision even before the contest, starting from December on. :lol:

PanosAK

First Eurovision memory was 2004 with Sakis's "Shake it" which i remember was pretty much playing everywhere at the time. But the first Eurovision i actually sat down and watched the whole thing was 2005 (which is crazy to think about, that the first one i watched was the one my country won).

Nicholas123

You realise you are 31 (turning on 32 this summer) when you see everyone in this thread having their 1st ESC memory in the 00's #rip

My First memory was :gr: Kleopatra in 1992, such a great start for me.

The very first contest i had the chance to watch though, was 1998, when Dana won! xheart Good, old times!!!

Clinty

i was at my dad's house and he was flicking through channels and we watched rybak's reprise after winning 2009. I thought he was cute and didn't know i was gay and now i don't find him cute anymore

Brandt

The year 2004. I was 9. We were going to move in another house the next day, so all of our stuff was packed except the TV and that giant bed we had back in the day. My parents were watching the show lying on the bed, I was listening to the songs but wasn't really watching.

And then there was 2008. I was zapping through channels. The Bosnian band was performing. I watched it for like seconds and kept zapping.

There was this song in 2009 I was very much obsessed with, so I decided to watch it just for the one song. That has been my first actual Eurovision experience.

tomos2019

You realise you are 31 (turning on 32 this summer) when you see everyone in this thread having their 1st ESC memory in the 00's #rip

If it's any consolation even though mine was in the 00s I have watched back all the previous contests and I'm very big on the 80s and 90s!

ag89

1999, my first Eurovision, the entire family was home and we were wondering why everyone was giving high points to Sweden and Iceland, we basically didn't understand the voting. After that, I was addicted.

Ianp16

Eurovision related memory:
I didn't watch the NF that year but the song was a huge hit here so they played the music video on TV fairly regularly.
Actual Eurovision memory:
Unfortunately I only remember this performance from the entire year (the other ones except the winner I only found through youtube) and I remember liking it a lot I was 6 years old don't judge me.

Hahaha. Oh Macedonia. What a mess.

It's weird to see many men with suits sitting in the front watching Eurovision. This shows how much the show has changed in less than 20 years. Thank god.

Ianp16

Probably Nicky French singing for the UK back in 2000 in Sweden. I didn't really understand Eurovision then. My first memory as a fan was watching Ukraine win in 2004 and being really happy after voting.

Alaska49

my first eurovision memory with full conscience of what i was getting into was in 2012 right when all entries had been picked; i think my first two videos were nije lujbav stvar and suus and somehow i didn't quit in disgust forevermore

but actually my first visual eurovision related memory was watching alexander rybak's fairytale video once in 2009, knowing he won "some music show" and thinking "he ain't no patrick wolf" because i was a snotty indie teenager then

but ACTUALLY my first eurovision memory at all was reading wikipedia in 2005 and finding the eurovision winners page and thinking "ruslana? sounds cool!" for i was clearly a visionary at the ripe age of 14

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Top Bottom