Contact us

What is your first Eurovision memory you can remember?

Ezio

Veteran
Jemimi singing and getting nul points at Eurovision 2003 after we were all expecting to do well lol (first time I had ever heard of Eurovision

LOL

Uk, latvia and Portugal were my precontest favourites. But I cringed over UK and Latvia‘s performances. Lol. Terrible

midnightsun

Veteran
And that's a shame because UK and Latvia are two of my favourites that year [despite their terrible performances!] :mrgreen:

ESC94

My very first memories about ESC date back to 2003. I was almost nine years old at that time and watched the contest together with my family. I can still remember that I stood next to the TV screen and tried to imitate the choreographies and to sing as well. You sould know that I couldn´t speak any English at the time so all the songs turned into an unrecognisable gibberish, and I´m not even starting with my still non existing singing skills. :lol:

tomos2019

Definitely then! And not just the years I grew up watching, but the decades before then as well (I've listened to the songs from every single year multiple times and have also watched all the shows from every single year). Will always prefer the 1950s-1990s over the 2000s-2010s. There were better and more high quality songs back then, more focus on the actual songs (instead of artist or stage performance), live orchestra, songs in so many different languages, etc. Of course Eurovision now is still great and I still enjoy it, but it was just better in the past.

I hate to say it but I totally agree. I do accept the language rule isn't coming back but it did seem to lend a slightly more ''classy'' tone to the whole thing.

AlekS

Veteran
2003. I was late for my first Eurovision ever! :lol:

Ex-Soviet host, I was about to lose my ESC virginity (heard about that contest but never watched it) & find out how it's like to vote with the whole Europe simultaneously, lesbian kiss from the most popular band was so coming... the excitement of it all! xcheer

I had to meet my mom coming home from work, at the bus stop... and it was dark & rainy + I helped her to carry a heavy bag etc.
But we missed only Iceland.
Alf Poier was my first live ESC entry:
My shitty mood disappeared immediately! We haven't laughed so hard in a while :lol: Sertab became my first ESC fave.
t.A.T.u. - the disappointment. I was close with their management (all the crazy inside info, my mind wasn't ready xheat ) so I felt sorry for them too. Eventually it became their turning point towards break up, as appeared. The one who really surprised me was Urban Trad... what in the name of Björk's gibberish epicness was going on?
The voting was so tense, messy & dramatic xpopcorn
The best "first time" ever.

ESC94

2003. I was late for my first Eurovision ever! :lol:

Ex-Soviet host, I was about to lose my ESC virginity (heard about that cotest but never watched it) & find out how it's like to vote with the whole Europe simultaneously, lesbian kiss from the most popular band was so coming... the excitement of it all! xcheer

I had to meet my mom coming home from work, at the bus stop... and it was dark & rainy + I helped her to carry a heavy bag etc.
But we missed only Iceland.
Alf Poier was my first live ESC entry:
My shitty mood disappeared immediately! We haven't laughed so hard in a while :lol: Sertab became my first ESC fave.
t.A.T.u. - the disappointment. I was close with their management (all the crazy inside info, my mind wasn't ready xheat ) so I felt sorry for them too. Eventually it became their turning point towards break up, as appeared. The one who really surprised me was Urban Trad... what in the name of Björk's gibberish epicness was going on?
The voting was so tense, messy & dramatic xpopcorn
The best "first time" ever.

Welcome to the 2003 club!! :)

HarryUK

Veteran
Eurovision 2005 and being obsessed with Helena Paparizou

Looren

Veteran
2014, I was 9, my parents were searching something to watch on TV, we found Eurovision and decided to watch it, it was when Valentina Monetta was singing "Maybe"

Since that day we started watching ESC every year

DirtyFalcon

My first souvenir from Eurovision was Eurovision 2011. I didn't watched the show completely but when i tuned on Eurovision, the first ever song i've discovered was Jedward - Lipstick. Then from 2012 to 2015, I still had no big interest for Eurovision and I only looked at the performance of my country (it was selfish I admit ahah) + the results.

I think i really became a Eurovision fan during Eurovision 2016 rehearsals and with Amir 6th place result for my country. I loved how every country was doing such amazing stagings.

ESC94

2014, I was 9, my parents were searching something to watch on TV, we found Eurovision and decided to watch it, it was when Valentina Monetta was singing "Maybe"

Since that day we started watching ESC every year

I had absolutely no idea that you´re just 18!! xshock

MopManMoss

Veteran
I vividly remember watching :at: 2003 as an eight year old but have no memory of the rest of the contest in Riga

Last edited:

lilka

My mum says we've been watching since Edyta Górniak in 1994, but I was too little to remember, only 4 y.o. Well, I could recall some memories from 1999 and 2001, but it was still a time when I didn't care much. I am, however, able to recall the very vivid memory of 2002 watching the contest with my now late grandma, my mum and my dad, when Marija Naumova from Latvia gave us an amazing show and won. We were both cheering for Latvia with my grandma, while my mum and dad wanted Malta to win. :D
Then I remember 2003 when Poland was represented by Ich Troje and WE FINISHED 7TH! TOP TEN! :eek:
Since 2003 I remember pretty much every contest quite well. When I grew up, I kinda lost the intense interest, but I still watch every year. :)

Last edited:

AndroZeus

While I believe I've watched ESC every year since at least 2001, my first clear memory of it is from 2010, where, at the age of 13, I had the biggest crush on Lena (the kind of crush where I wished I could be as cool and pretty and elegant as her).

Bobjan FR

In 2005, almost 8 years old. I left my bed for i don't know what reason, go in the living-room, my mother is combing the hait of one of my big sisters, watching something on the tv. It's a guy singing and wearing a strange outfit. I think my mom told me to go back to the bed, and i did.

(It was norway)

The days after, i wanted to watch the thing, they recorded it on a vhs starting, with france which was singing last (lol i saw one song), then the recap, then interval acts, then the voting, then the winner. After watching the first time, eveen knowing greece wins at the end, i watched the whole thin again a few times anyway.

JenJen94

When I was younger I remember (although I didn't watch it) seeing in the news about Lordi winning in Athens and thinking how...interesting they looked-I must have been about 11. I'd known about Eurovision before that though, because I remember watching Javine win to represent us, but it wasn't until about 2011 I remember sitting down to watch the GF (or well, I knew I watched it, possible I'd watched it before but just don't remember)-as I remember seeing Azerbaijan taking the victory, and Blue doing well (I loved them as a kid) and that's all I really remember from that year! Must have liked it so much that I watched it every year since and here I am :LOL:

lilka

When I was younger I remember (although I didn't watch it) seeing in the news about Lordi winning in Athens and thinking how...interesting they looked-I must have been about 11. I'd known about Eurovision before that though, because I remember watching Javine win to represent us, but it wasn't until about 2011 I remember sitting down to watch the GF (or well, I knew I watched it, possible I'd watched it before but just don't remember)-as I remember seeing Azerbaijan taking the victory, and Blue doing well (I loved them as a kid) and that's all I really remember from that year! Must have liked it so much that I watched it every year since and here I am :LOL:
The Eurovision of 2006 is not the first I watched, but the one I am never going to forget because of the woman standing next to me in my avatar. I actually remember every minute.

JenJen94

The Eurovision of 2006 is not the first I watched, but the one I am never going to forget because of the woman standing next to me in my avatar. I actually remember every minute.
Aw, care to tell me more if you wish? :)

lilka

@JenJen94 Well, of course I especially remember Anna appearing on stage, starting to sing, and eventually falling on her knees and finishing with a sweet "Ευχαριστώ πολύ" ("Thank you very much"), visibly moved by the support she received from her compatriots. She was unfortunately ill at that time, but she gave a stunnig performance. I was actually in awe. I hadn't know her before, not to mention I had actually known little about Greece or Cyprus. When I saw and heard her for the first time that night, I was like "Holy sh**, what an amazing singer and performer, I have to look for her later on the internet". I was only 16, just a simple Polish teenager, without any special interest in anything. Thank God for youtube which already existed in 2006. So that very same night, after the results for which I didn't really care much, I started my research and I fell in love with her songs. At that time I didn't even know how to say "Kalimera" (Good morning) or "Efharisto" (Thank you). And yet, thanks to Anna's lovely voice and beautiful songs I felt an urge to learn Greek. Today I am a C2 speaker and in love with Greece (and Cyprus), which has become a second home for me, my place on Earth that I needed and a source of inspiration, just like Anna's songs. Unfortunately, first I was a foreign teenager without possibilities to travel on my own, then a poor student who somehow managed to travel but always with the wrong people and to wrong places, even if in Greece, and the wrong time. There have always been obstacles on my way, until I went to Athens last year for 1 month to refresh my Greek at a language school and finally had a chance to attend my very own first 4 Anna's concerts. Recently I spontaneously went to Athens to spend Easter there and to see Anna at the club where she performs every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday during the winter-spring season (that's a very Greek system of entertainment, but it's not the right place to explain it). Long story short, it seems easier to meet the Greek artists after such performances than during summer after the regular concerts they give throughout the country. So I waited backstage, there were only 4-5 fans apart from me (Athenians have the chance to do it every week, that's why) and finally my dream of being able to tell her IN FLUENT GREEK what she meant to me became true. I also gave her a small, very personal gift.
She has known me for some months from Instagram because of something I did (another long story here), but 7th and 8th April were the two times we had our first two little face-to-face chats. Gosh, I was so proud of myself that I could speak to my idol in her native language... and so proud I didn't forget my name! :ROFLMAO:

JenJen94

@JenJen94 Well, of course I especially remember Anna appearing on stage, starting to sing, and eventually falling on her knees and finishing with a sweet "Ευχαριστώ πολύ" ("Thank you very much"), visibly moved by the support she received from her compatriots. She was unfortunately ill at that time, but she gave a stunnig performance. I was actually in awe. I hadn't know her before, not to mention I had actually known little about Greece or Cyprus. When I saw and heard her for the first time that night, I was like "Holy sh**, what an amazing singer and performer, I have to look for her later on the internet". I was only 16, just a simple Polish teenager, without any special interest in anything. Thank God for youtube which already existed in 2006. So that very same night, after the results for which I didn't really care much, I started my research and I fell in love with her songs. At that time I didn't even know how to say "Kalimera" (Good morning) or "Efharisto" (Thank you). And yet, thanks to Anna's lovely voice and beautiful songs I felt an urge to learn Greek. Today I am a C2 speaker and in love with Greece (and Cyprus), which has become a second home for me, my place on Earth that I needed and a source of inspiration, just like Anna's songs. Unfortunately, first I was a foreign teenager without possibilities to travel on my own, then a poor student who somehow managed to travel but always with the wrong people and to wrong places, even if in Greece, and the wrong time. There have always been obstacles on my way, until I went to Athens last year for 1 month to refresh my Greek at a language school and finally had a chance to attend my very own first 4 Anna's concerts. Recently I spontaneously went to Athens to spend Easter there and to see Anna at the club where she performs every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday during the winter-spring season (that's a very Greek system of entertainment, but it's not the right place to explain it). Long story short, it seems easier to meet the Greek artists after such performances than during summer after the regular concerts they give throughout the country. So I waited backstage, there were only 4-5 fans apart from me (Athenians have the chance to do it every week, that's why) and finally my dream of being able to tell her IN FLUENT GREEK what she meant to me became true. I also gave her a small, very personal gift.
She has known me for some months from Instagram because of something I did (another long story here), but 7th and 8th April were the two times we had our first two little face-to-face chats. Gosh, I was so proud of myself that I could speak to my idol in her native language... and so proud I didn't forget my name! :ROFLMAO:

Awwww, honestly this is such a lovely story! I'm so glad you were able to talk to go to Greece tell her in fluent Greek how much it all meant to you too! Amazing how you worked your way up to c2-well done xclapIt's so lovely that she knows who you are and you know one another through instagram too.

I agree, watching the clip back on YT it was a beautiful performance!

Top Bottom