Contact us

What is it with the bad jokes at eurovision?

Earthland2

Are bad jokes by the hosts some kind of eurovision heritage? Are we kind of expecting the bad jokes? Or are the producers thinking that we are expecting bad jokes? Is hosting intentionally so bad, so that it wouldn't take away attention from the performances?

Only Norway 2010 come to my mind, when I really liked the hosting and I can't remember any forced jokes. But last two years stand out as especially awful. My question is, why are there so many bad jokes at eurovision?

FilipFromSweden

I just think it can be hard to find comedy that is tuned to fit whole Europe (and parts of Asia). And to be fair, the 2010 hosts barely pulled jokes. I can find the bad jokes a bit charming and some land, it’s subjective

musicfan

It used to be more a serious event rather than a camped up one, it changed some time in the last two decades or so. There used to be only one presenter as well, now with several they have to make up some dialogue between them.

mauve

Veteran
I remember that some years ago, I turned the Sound of the tv off while listening to ESC and listened the commentators of the Radio instead here in Germany. They were two German-Austrian comedians called Stermann / Grissemann. They were wonderful. I laughed so much about their comments. I love bad jokes. :D

hawadharma

The only memorable hosting for me is Petra & Mans. They are multi-talented and so professional.
Most importantly host must not be so cringeworthy that I have to mute the TV or look away in embarrassment at the jokes (Read: Ukraine 2017, blergghhhhh)

Alaska49

the ukrainian hosts were actually on the funny side compared to most of the others. I WILL ALWAYS FLY THIS FLAG. JUSTICE FOR VOVA FOREVER.

also yes, trying to crack jokes, even if they are terrible, is much better hosting than the boring slop we got in 2015, 2012 and some other years.

FilipFromSweden

Ukrainian hosts go down as history's worst

LalehForWD

I can stand a bad joke or embarrassing hosting, to some degree even enjoy it, it's the screaming and "forced" attitude which is unbearable. It's like they are carried away by the live audience and forget most people are sitting at home watching the show on TV. It doesn't matter if the audiance think they are boring. A classic simple and polite hosting is so much better.

Top Bottom