Contact us

What if ALL broadcasting countries could vote?

I was just thinking.. what if all broadcasting countries, including ones who are not participating, were allowed to award votes in the final?

Countries like China, New Zealand, and Canada could cast votes.. do you think this would work?

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
It would be a nice silver lining to not being able to watch ESC on TV.

GWTW1939

The voting would take forever :lol:

Unless they simply combine all of them together and count them as one and call it "rest of the world" or something like that xshrug

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Maybe in a similar way to the way we do OP votes in WV, but not as a full participant. You know, have a Rest of the World voting section or similar maybe?

EDIT: Oops, should have reloaded the page! I agree with the above!

AlekS

Veteran
Imho, if they pay for the broadcast they should be allowed to vote. On the other hand if more countries buy the broadcast rights they should vote too...
Also it depends of the TV ratings. How many people watch this show - will it cover expenses on this voting? Is it possible for the techies to deal with 50+ countries voting at once etc.

Chorizo

That would be perfect for manipulating the results. You just pay the broadcasters of smaller countries to broadcast Eurovision to get their votes. The Russian broadcaster could pay all ex-USSR countries that don't broadcast the contest now and all of these countries would then in turn give their top points to Russia. That would work with other countries too, of course, Russia is just the easiest example.

MyHeartIsYours

Only participating countries should vote. It'd be too complicated to have anybody else voting. Imo, I wouldn't feel like a winner was a true winner if it had got there on the backs of votes from the likes of China, India and New Zealand, and other non-participating countries.

The only voting change I'd like to see is that all of the Big 6 can vote in both semis.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
They'd still need to send something semi-decent... we were able to vote for the first time this year and from memory we ended up still giving them 0!

Yes you gave us 0. Very scandalous, probably the wake up call we needed. Get out of the commonwealth and our lives you traitors :lol:

Seriously though, when even Australia gives 0 then you know there is a problem. XD However we did get 1 point of you in the televote, the only other country to give us points through televoting is Malta, who also gave 1. Ofc two countries who in theory tend to regularly vote for the UK - Australia for obvious reasons. If you can give EV 1 in televote then we would more than likely do a lot better, even with a half decent song.

MyHeartIsYours

Seriously though, when even Australia gives 0 then you know there is a problem. XD However we did get 1 point of you in the televote, the only other country to give us points through televoting is Malta, who also gave 1. Ofc two countries who in theory tend to regularly vote for the UK - Australia for obvious reasons. If you can give EV 1 in televote then we would more than likely do a lot better, even with a half decent song.
Wow, even the Irish televote didn't vote for us? Shocked at that, if I remember rightly there hasn't been a single other year when they've not... even for Jemini...

As for the juries, obviously this year was an exception, but they've very much destroyed our chances of valuable friendly voting from Ireland, Malta, Australia. For instance, before 2009, you could almost bank on the Irish vote putting the UK in its top 3 - now, you very rarely hear the spokespersons in Dublin or Valletta giving points to us, we end up with measly 4 or 5 points usually. All the while the juries have done very little to combat ex-Soviet/Balkan/Nordic bloc voting, so I see little point in them tbh...

It would be interesting to include countries that have no ties to Europe (eg China) in the voting, we'd probably see a fairer vote in actual fact. But the minuses still outweigh the pluses imo.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Wow, even the Irish televote didn't vote for us? Shocked at that, if I remember rightly there hasn't been a single other year when they've not... even for Jemini...

As for the juries, obviously this year was an exception, but they've very much destroyed our chances of valuable friendly voting from Ireland, Malta, Australia. For instance, before 2009, you could almost bank on the Irish vote putting the UK in its top 3 - now, you very rarely hear the spokespersons in Dublin or Valletta giving points to us, we end up with measly 4 or 5 points usually. All the while the juries have done very little to combat ex-Soviet/Balkan/Nordic bloc voting, so I see little point in them tbh...

It would be interesting to include countries that have no ties to Europe (eg China) in the voting, we'd probably see a fairer vote in actual fact. But the minuses still outweigh the pluses imo.

Yes, even the Irish gave us 0. 11th in the televote, 13th in the jury and therefore 10th overall. xcookie

I agree with what else you say 100%, however I do think friendly voting shouldn't exist and countries should vote only the songs merits (In a perfect world :rolleyes:). If other countries can block vote then there is no reason why we can't. After all, we often ignore most of eastern Europe (apart from those with a significant amount of their own people living here) and throw all our points in Scandinavia's direction.

esc87fan

I don't know how Canada would do it. CBC/SRC is our EBU associate member station, yet this and last year the contest was carried on OUTtv, a small cable channel for the LGBTQ community. The NHL playoffs is a big deal around the time of Eurovision week, yet airing the contest on a larger network would give the contest more exposure here

Chorizo

They'd still need to send something semi-decent... we were able to vote for the first time this year and from memory we ended up still giving them 0!

That's because you paid yourself. :p

Chorizo

Only participating countries should vote. It'd be too complicated to have anybody else voting. Imo, I wouldn't feel like a winner was a true winner if it had got there on the backs of votes from the likes of China, India and New Zealand, and other non-participating countries.

The only voting change I'd like to see is that all of the Big 6 can vote in both semis.

Wow that's some anti-Commonwealth spirit coming from you. :lol:
Would you also say that, if Australia had given the UK 12 points, like you had hoped before the grand final? :p

MyHeartIsYours

11th in the televote, 13th in the jury and therefore 10th overall.
Makes sooo much sense... not :lol:

I agree with what else you say 100%, however I do think friendly voting shouldn't exist and countries should vote only the songs merits (In a perfect world :rolleyes:). If other countries can block vote then there is no reason why we can't. After all, we often ignore most of eastern Europe (apart from those with a significant amount of their own people living here) and throw all our points in Scandinavia's direction.
Like you say, ideally it shouldn't, but seeing as every other bugger does corrupt voting I don't see why we shouldn't hope to get a few friendly votes in the bag.

Wow that's some anti-Commonwealth spirit coming from you. :lol:
Would you also say that, if Australia had given the UK 12 points, like you had hoped before the grand final? :p
Well I said non-participating countries ;) As Australia is a participating country, their votes are just as valid and valued as any European country. If New Zealand participated in the future (which I hope they do), then the same would apply to them. However, if New Zealand didn't participate but just voted, well that would just seem not right to me.

Basically:
Aussie voting in 2014 - would have sucked.
Aussie voting in 2015 - totes cool.

It all depends on whether a country is part of Eurovision.

As for India, I don't want them to participate and I don't want them to vote ;)

Top Bottom