Contact us

What do you think of "Sanomi" (Belgium 2003)?

ESC94

Hi everybody,

in 2003, :be: was represented by the group Urban Trad and their song "Sanomi", finishing second only two points behind the winning title from :tr:. This entry was different because it was completely sung in an imaginary language. What do you think about this song??

To be honest I was never a fan of that entry. For me this was just three minutes of random sounds, like a CD used for some kind of therapy that had some cracks. (n)

I´m still pretty surprised this finished second. xshrug

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
For me, this is easily one of my most favorite Belgian entries. xheart I'm a sucker for that ethno/folk sound. It's also my favorite song of 2003 and would have been my preferred winner.

Neo

I really loved it and also had a serious crush on the singer.

Its high placing was in part due to excellent sound with the good bass drive IMO. I have a theory that sound production is an underestimated factor in ESC (ref. Olsen Brothers 2000, Turkey 2003)

Sim

Honestly, I took me almost 10 years after the show, to rewatch the whole show.
I started watching ESC in 1998, but in remember in 2003 newspapers in Belgium predicted that we would end at the bottom so I did not have high expectations.

I still know I liked the performance and saw the audience in the hall also liked it, so I tought hmm maybe around 10th place

But the distribution of the points was so exiting , I honestly believed we could win and was exicted that we were almost all the time above Russia. But then came Slovenia giving us 2 points... and Turkey 10 points. That was the first time I cried for Eurovision, I was so disappointed.

OK after watching the show again, Turkey deserved to win, but the believe that we came sooo close, maybe it will never happen again :(
One of my dreams is to see Belgium winning ESC once in my lifetime (I was born 3 years to late to Sandra win)

Top Bottom