Contact us

What do you think of "Nacida para amar" (Spain 1989), performed by Nina?

carlosmstraductor

Hello everybody:

I would like to ask you for your opinion about "Nacida para amar", performed by Nina (Spain 1989) and written by late composer Juan Carlos Calderón.

The song she performed was not especially in line with the 1980's style, perhaps it was too classic regarding melody, but the author's hallmark is undeniable. The lyrics were very suggestive, a real hymn to love that was psychologically very well built without being schmaltzy or cheesy. In fact, she was a favourite at the bookies (bookmakers) for victory that year and even Terry Wogan told Spanish commentator Tomás Fernando Flores it was his favourite song.

As a curiosity, German commentator Thomas Gottschalk (who became very famous in Germany because of "Wetten, dass...?") said that Nina looked like Latoya Jackson, Michael Jackson's sister.

I personally think she reminds me more of any African-American jazz, blues or gospel divas with that curly black teased-up hair in the style of Tina Turner of Whitney Houston. In fact, her main musical influence is black music and I even see vocal nuances thatparticularly remind me of Jewish-American singer Jennifer Rush (The power of love) in her due to her passionate, intense and emotional way to perform and transmit, even the orchestra applauded her. Moreover, the German jury based in Studio 1 in Unterföhring near Munich gave her 10 points because of this fact. Finally, I actually don't understand how silly, absurd and trashy songs like Denmark or Yugoslavia got better results than this song. It doesn't surprise me at all that the Spanish jury (TVE) based in Estudio A-4 at Torrespaña didn't vote for both aforementioned countries, there were even better ones such as the United Kingdom, Sweden, Austria, Finland, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands or Portugal, among others, but that's my personal taste and sensitivit , judges had a very tough task back then (they watched the general rehearsal and the live performance).

All the best
Carlos M.S.

Citelis

To be honest i don't like it. However i have to say that i usually like Spanish entries. I would rate it with 2 or 3.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
To be honest i don't like it. However i have to say that i usually like Spanish entries. I would rate it with 2 or 3.

we usually disagree but when we agree we agree 100%. I also don't like it and I'm fond of Spanish entries in general.

carlosmstraductor

The German jury (based at Studio 1 in Unterföhring, famous BR television studios not very far from Munich) gave it :10: well-deseverd points, they were 16 random people (there were no music professionals until 1991) from all walks of life who were chosen by famous poll/survey Infratest.

carlosmstraductor

Let's also admit it sounded as a rip-off of Céline Dion's winner last year and it didn't probably sounds 80s because the contest was considered back then as a family show. Moreover, the author was late famous composer Juan Carlos Calderón (Eres tú, Tú volverás, La fiesta terminó etc.) and Nina had already some experience as a singer in the famous show "Un, dos, tres" and she was discovered by Xavier Cugat.

Top Bottom