Contact us

What do you think of "Dieser Traum darf niemals sterben" (Germany 1991)?

carlosmstraductor

Hello everybody:
I would like to know your opinion about "Dieser Traum darf niemals sterben", performed by Atlantis 2000 which represented Germany in 1991.

What can I say about this song? I think it is a very clichéd, boring, weak, old-fashioned, weak and forgettable schlager trying to imitate songs written by Siegel and Meinunger but unsuccessfully. Its cryptic and opportunistic lyrics are very likely to talk about the German reunification on 3rd October 1990 with many forced rhymes and stereotypical sentences full of good intentions and hope (Curiously enough, only female singer Jutta Niedhardt was born in former East Germany). Moreover, they were disgusting singers with no talent or charisma whatsoever and their clothes and haircuts were very kitsch. The melody is very schmaltzy and predictable as well as the dull and bombastic orchestration with those trumpets at the beginning. Their choreography was very forced and did not sound natural, too militarized for my taste, they had no stage presence and therefore, I'm really sure many people in Germany don't remember it and it's one of the most disliked and anonymous German entries.

Curiously enough, some people like it because it represents German sonority in contrast with the impersonal pop entries that ARD has sent over the last years.

Kind regards and all the best
Carlos M.S.

carlosmstraductor

The Spanish jury based in Madrid (Estudio A-4 at Torrespaña studios) gave it :1: point, Denmark gave it :6: and Cyprus :3:, but at least it is more representative of German cultural essence than those cold and impersonal entries sent over the last years trying to mimic American singers.

carlosmstraductor

Urgh, this was one of the worst entries in the ESC history of :de:!! :sick:

Don´t understand why this "song" didn´t get :0:.

What do you think about the lyrics? They are likely to talk about German reunification (In fact, female vocalist Jutta Niedhardt was born in Thüringen).

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
I know most people seem to dislike this song, but I've personally always loved it. I wholly embrace the cheesy schlager-side of Eurovision. A lot of music was cheesy back then and it's the kind of music I grew up with.

Top Bottom