Contact us

What changes do you want introduced to the rules/format?

A-lister

Veteran
Discuss!

These are my proposals:
  • Abolishment of pre-recorded backing vocals.
  • Increasing the maximum amount of people allowed on stage from 6 to 8 (or 10 even), I think it's a good compromise between only allowing live vocals and still make it possible for dancers to do their thing. Also, it's long overdue tbh, 6 has been a very low number for years now and is just and odd number in this time and age.
  • Acts and songwriters/composers need to have a proven connection to the music market of the country they represent, no more shopping around for entries! The concept of Eurovision is entries representing their countries, I feel like we diverged from that. It doesn't mean that all songwriters/composers need to come from said country, but at least they need to be an active part of that music scene (past Eurovision entries don't count here!). I am fully aware that some music markets are integrated and that micro-states are 'de facto' part of their neighbors' markets, but a change of rule would take that into consideration while still protect the concept of entries actually representing their countries.
  • Running order needs to be random! I think we pretty much established now that letting the "producers" choose it opens up to favoritism, corruption and tactics. We should have a transparent and fair system, and there a methods to keep a nice flow in the production (draw the songs from genre/tempo pots for instance).
  • Abolishment of juries (now I am not delusional and know it won't happen, but at least decrease their powers to a 40/60 situation in favor of televoters).
  • Have it explicitly written into the rules of Eurovision that only recognized independent countries that are at least partially geographically within the European continent, or at least have a history of a minimum of 5 previous entries in the contest, can take part and scrap the idea of the dated European Broadcasting Area (that EBU don't even follow themselves). This would close the door to any risk of having countries like USA, China, Qatar, Morocco, Lebanon, Canada or others joining. It's not EUROvision if the world can join! Let's protect the brand and concept!
  • Have the juries verbally give out 8-12 points (I know it would make the show longer, but don't we want more suspense? I know that we can't go back to the old days of giving out 1-12 when we have so many countries and also split the televoting results, but this could be a compromise that could still work).
  • Re-establishing the language rule (another idealistic fantasy that won't happen, but that's just my opinion).

Last edited:

Lance Esgard

Oh it's not shouting, I wasn't that inappropriate nor angry haha.

I always use Caps Lock on this forum to convey sth important as the white letters on black screen simply blur in and look like spaghetti sentences. 🤣
Did you decide against increasing the font size instead? If so, may I ask why?

I think this is a better way of emphasis and visibility.

This could avoid the perception of shouting, which to many is the deeply ingrained perception of seeing all caps.

Did you decide against increasing the font size instead? If so, may I ask why?

I think this is a better way of emphasis and visibility.

This could avoid the perception of shouting, which to many is the deeply ingrained perception of seeing all caps.

Agree.

Simply too lazy to change font size in the settings of the post. For which purpose I have to click on these 3 blue dots I barely see without contact lenses. Not only lazy, but also blind.

E.g. Once I gave 2 points in forum voting for Argentina instead of San Marino. 🤣🤣🤣

VirginiaVision

My suggestions all pertain to working toward solving the rampant problem of political/geographic jury voting.

1. The juries should be bigger. The bigger the sample size, the better, but I'll propose upping it to 10 to start with.
2. It shouldn't be made public who the jurors are. The published juror lists plus the small sample size means jurors probably don't feel 100% safe in voting how they truly want.
3. Swap the way the jury and televote points are presented. Have a spokesperson announce the 12 points from their country's televoters, then go country-by-country and give them "packaged" jury points. The idea here is that jurors don't have to worry about their votes being (indirectly) broadcast.

I'll also mention that I'm not saying the EBU shouldn't publish the full jury votes. I believe my above proposals would be sufficient in doing a better job "protecting" jurors than the current system does. This is keeping in mind that the average viewer isn't going to look up the detailed jury voting after the show.

Sammy

Veteran
3. Swap the way the jury and televote points are presented. Have a spokesperson announce the 12 points from their country's televoters, then go country-by-country and give them "packaged" jury points. The idea here is that jurors don't have to worry about their votes being (indirectly) broadcast.

I see this problematic for two reasons: having the juryvote second increases the feeling that the jury overrules the public and that would lead to more negative reactions.

The second point is, that this order was made with the intention to have time for the counting/controlling of the incoming televote while the juryvotes are announced. If you swap it, the show would become much longer.

Last edited:

Gitte

Agree.

Simply too lazy to change font size in the settings of the post. For which purpose I have to click on these 3 blue dots I barely see without contact lenses. Not only lazy, but also blind.

E.g. Once I gave 2 points in forum voting for Argentina instead of San Marino. 🤣🤣🤣
then just...Put in your contacts? Plenty of people have to wear glasses/contacts.

MopManMoss

Veteran
  • Throwing Austria, Czech Republic, Georgia, Iceland, Italy, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino and United Kingdom out of the contest with immediate effect, and allowing them to come back only if/when they start to select good songs again. Keeping an eye on Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland as well. If they keep sending bad songs, they need to be thrown out too.
  • Allowing participation of non-European countries with big musical industries, such as USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, South Korea.
  • Ban to the participation of male singers
  • Abolishment of televoting, return to 100% jury voting with 10 people in every national jury
  • Ban to rock songs and other niche, unlistenable musical genres, such as metal and other shouty things
  • Ban to joke entries
  • Preventing fans to create hypes for horrible songs, even using censorship if necessary
  • Preventing diaspora and block voting in every possible way
  • Introduction of the 9 and 11 points
  • Fight against misogynistic statements from the fans and other kind of hatred against female singers in the forums and social medias
Oh look Mr "James Newman is an uncharismatic lardass" is back to preach about hatred again

Lance Esgard

Agree.

Huh, for me the font size is selected by clicking on the two Ts next to the bit that controls italics. That icon is as visible as the one that selects bold. But maybe that's different on your device? ...I only access this forum via a desktop after all.

Ezio

Veteran
Wow a horror edition :lol:
I guess Italians aren‘t great hosts.

Actually, I am already a bit horrified about their hosting next year.

A-lister

Veteran
I see this problematic for two reasons: having the juryvote second increases the feeling that the jury overrules the public and that would lead to more negative reactions.

The second point is, that this order was made with the intention to have time for the counting/controlling the incoming televote while the juryvotes are announced. If you swap it, the show would become much longer.

This! I was also for a while in the camp of "swapping" it around, but it would indeed look as the jury overrule the public and also as you point out there are technical reasons as to why leaving the public vote to last because it takes the longest to count and validate.

hzalfa

People like Alessandro Cattelan (by far the most requested name on the Italian internet), Victoria Cabello or Matilda De Angelis are absolutely capable of hosting Eurovision. It's up to RAI if they want to go for quality or if they want to "honor" their historical hosts like Amadeus, Carlo Conti, Flavio Insinna, etc...
The second choice would be terrible in terms of quality. but very much in line with how RAI usually operates.

iwanna belovewithyou

and you do well, then they said that from June to September the Rai will take care of the Sanremo festival, and from September onwards it will take care of Eurovision, a little late don't you think?

Ezio

Veteran
People like Alessandro Cattelan (by far the most requested name on the Italian internet), Victoria Cabello or Matilda De Angelis are absolutely capable of hosting Eurovision. It's up to RAI if they want to go for quality or if they want to "honor" their historical hosts like Amadeus, Carlo Conti, Flavio Insinna, etc...
The second choice would be terrible in terms of quality. but very much in line with how RAI usually operates.
I think they can put on a great and original show, but judging by their spokespersons, I fear they might come across smug and unrelatable. I don't know Italian TV personalities, except for Carlo Conti (?), the Sanremo host of 2017, who I didnt like very much either.

Maybe Il Volo could host? They achieved the best televoting result of all times.

Top Bottom