Contact us

What 2020 acts will have better (or worse) entries in 2021?

A-lister

Veteran
Firstly, let's just assume what acts will actually re-appear next year (either internally selected, or going through a national selection), who do you think will actually end up with better entries than they had in 2021? Anyone you think will end up with potentially worse? Or equally good?

This is surely all hypothetical atm, but let's discuss! I mean on paper, acts would probably try to better themselves, but it's sometimes easier said than done.

Loindici

Veteran
Hooverphonic, Jeangu and Tornike will better their game, definitely.

Stefania, Victoria and Samanta (assuming) can do worse.

Gjon and Go_A, on the other hand, will come with surprises: hard to tell, really.

mauve

Veteran
Well I think Hooverphonic's Release Me is great. The song is in my top 3 for this year's entries.
It's in my top 5 as well, but I still doubt the song would have made it far at ESC. But I am very glad they are back. They said of thinking of doing an up-tempo song. I am looking forward to it!

As far as my No 1 Tornike ... Oh God. I loved the song so much, I hope he can come up with something equally. I trust him and say: he will do it again.

Stefania can do better. Victoria as well. I actually didn't like her song too much as it was too sweet and Disney-like.
Samanta, I assume, can only do better.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I think I'll like Tornike and Hooverphonic more (I already liked them, but I felt both could do better). Not sure about the others.

We shall see, I guess.

hijirio

Veteran
It's very difficult for Viktoria, Samira Efendi, the Roop and Little Big to top their 2020 entry

Belgium and Switzerland will probably be better, and Poland might fight for a win if they go with Alicja but a different song

A-lister

Veteran
I'd say many, if not most, acts have potential to better themselves since the level of songs were generally low in 2020, I do worry slightly for The Roop and Gjon's Tears though, surely they can also top themselves, but I somehow don't think they will, also I'm worried Eden and Efendi will have safer tracks next year, which would be unfortunate, I really hope for two more bonkers and cool ethno-Bops from these too ladies!

Everyone say it's difficult for Victoria, well as I argued in the Bulgarian thread, while her entry was ok, I think it wasn't as good as many make it out to be so I think she has alot of room to develop herself and also find her own sound rather than going for Billie Eilish.

Little Big, if they would go, better come up with something stronger than a song that sounds like a revamped Aqua demo if they really want to be a competitor for the win, which I think both they and the Russian broadcaster was aiming for.

Alicja for Poland can definitely have something better, and I think the same for Destiny (if she comes back, which I think) (I wrote in the Maltese thread what I'm hoping for there).

Last edited:

Realest

I trust Milanov, although its almost impossible to top TGS.

Yazy

In my honest opinion, Destiny had a song that is completely soulless, artificial, sterile and cold.

I hope she actually gets something organic and vibrant for next year.

I´m also in the minority here when I say that "Release me" is one of the better entries of this year. Easily one of my favorite Belgian modern entries.

Sammy

Veteran
Returning artists should take the example of Lena. Coming up with a song that's similar to the first one will focus the discussion exclusively on the comparison. Presenting something completely different gives you better chances that people will also concentrate on the second song itself.

Ezio

Veteran
Lena got robbed in 2011, but that was payback for robbing Slovakia in 2010. Taken by a stranger truly was an example on how to step it up at your comeback. Alexander Rybak should have taken many notes, but in the end, he didn't

Ezio

Veteran
''Taken by stranger'' was overrated!

I think that's your shtick, right? Disagreeing on purpose with everyone. But it's getting boring for me.

Take by a stranger still is a better song than 90% of any contest later on and 2011 was W E A K.

A-lister

Veteran
Returning artists should take the example of Lena. Coming up with a song that's similar to the first one will focus the discussion exclusively on the comparison. Presenting something completely different gives you better chances that people will also concentrate on the second song itself.

While I understand your point, and Lena did absolutely right, I think in this case it's not necessary that acts will do a 180 and go with something completely different (for instance sending a ballad next year if they went with uptempo this year, or send a regular Pop entry if they went ethno this year and so forward), I still think it's important they send something that is true to them and what they want to represent, anything else could feel odd and out of place. We in the fandom must realize that most of these entries were never exposed to a larger audience, so while we might compare the entries we get next year to this year's, the general audience won't.

I think it would also be a great loss if for instance some acts that went for it this year, come back safe next year, but of course they shouldn't try to send copies of their entries, but I don't see a problem going with a similar style or genre, the most important thing is that they step up their game.

Citelis

I think that's your shtick, right? Disagreeing on purpose with everyone. But it's getting boring for me.

Take by a stranger still is a better song than 90% of any contest later on and 2011 was W E A K.
I don't disagree with everyone! I like Lena but her winning entry in 2010 was way better than ''Taken by stranger'' but i agree that 2011 was rather a weak year.

Sammy

Veteran
While I understand your point, and Lena did absolutely right, I think in this case it's not necessary that acts will do a 180 and go with something completely different (for instance sending a ballad next year if they went with uptempo this year, or send a regular Pop entry if they went ethno this year and so forward), I still think it's important they send something that is true to them and what they want to represent, anything else could feel odd and out of place. We in the fandom must realize that most of these entries were never exposed to a larger audience, so while we might compare the entries we get next year to this year's, the general audience won't.

I think it would also be a great loss if for instance some acts that went for it this year, come back safe next year, but of course they shouldn't try to send copies of their entries, but I don't see a problem going with a similar style or genre, the most important thing is that they step up their game.
Of course artists should not go against their - how should I say - artistic identity. Being different for the sake of being different is absolutely fake and people will realize this. But as you also said - it's about not copying yourself.

A-lister

Veteran
Of course artists should not go against their - how should I say - artistic identity. Being different for the sake of being different is absolutely fake and people will realize this. But as you also said - it's about not copying yourself.

True that, and here I agree, but I still think, and wouldn't mind in some cases, if they went for something in a similar style at least. Again, since there won't be an ESC this year, and I'm not sure how many will actually tune into some "Eurovision evening" without the contest, so most people will not pay attention to these songs anyways and majority will be forgotten (as the case with regular ESC too) next year outside the fandom.

With that said, now is the opportunity for many acts to better themselves, and maybe send something more interesting indeed. I hope this could all be a blessing in disguise as far as ESC goes, because the quality this year, at least imo, was really bad, so give some of these acts a year to think about things (no pun intended) and they have all the opportunity to go with better stuff. I'm slightly worried though, that because of the Corona mess, many acts (or broadcasters) might think that it will not be "appropriate" to have fun and the contest will be even worse next year (filled with boring ballads with "messages"), while imho if there is something we need next year, to get out of this darkness, is a celebration.

Top Bottom