Contact us

What 2020 acts will have better (or worse) entries in 2021?

A-lister

Veteran
She was my personal winner is what I meant, yes! :lol:

Makes sense ;) Well, I can't share your taste on that, but if it's any comfort I think she can actually do better than this... I think Samanta has alot of potential, just not the right material, but yeah 2020 was a step in the right direction for her.

Mainshow

Veteran
:il: Unfortunately, I think that the song will be way worse. The song titles are already quite embarrassing and the demos sounded very weak (melodies, lyrics). It's a pity because Eden seems to be very likeable and charming and a very capable vocalist.

:bg: I absolutely adore her 2020 entry but if "Ugly Cry" is chosen, her entry will be topped (in my honest opinion). I think that Viktoria has a lot of potential and she might be even topping her already perfect Eurovision entry this time.

:ch: Gjon's Tears is a complicated case. He's very talented and I trust his instincts. I am glad that he co-penned his 2021 entry. It won't be easy to top our forum's winning entry, though.

Mainshow

Veteran
:il: Unfortunately, I think that the song will be way worse. The song titles are already quite embarrassing and the demos sounded very weak (melodies, lyrics). It's a pity because Eden seems to be very likeable and charming and a very capable vocalist.

A pity I was right on this one :( Poor Eden

Sammy

Veteran
I have to agree here. None of the songs left can reach the level of Feker libi. On the other hand - with any of the three songs Eden would still in my top 10 last year.

theditz83

Veteran
Poor :il: - Feker Libi would've been such a vibe in 2020 and she's been left with 3 lukewarm album tracks that don't come anywhere near the energy or fun of last year.

I think :es: might surprise with a much better song for Blas, but then again TVE has never really been the most reliable...

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Okay, I will give this a shot.

Countries I expect better from:
:au: - wasn't my cup of tea so the bar is fairly low here
:es: - decent but Spain can do better and something that's a tad more remarkable
:mk: - don't a bad song, just need something more memorable
:be: - As much as I like the genre, Release me was really dull
:mt: - I said it before but diva deserves a better song.
:at: - His music isn't to my liking but I'm hoping for something more punchy.
:cz: - 2020 was okay but let's come up with something better than Okay
:gr: - Supergirl' longevity was short to say the least, I grew tired of it after two listen, give us a real banger Greece
:sm: - Senit is our queen but I don't think she realized how weak her effort was.
:rs: - Same as Greece, it was fun but I enjoy for more than just a day or two

Countries I think I'm worried won't meet my expectations:

:ie: - The most happy song (to me) in 2020, I just can't see Leslie being able to match this. Proove me wrong :)
:il: - Already confirmed as all three choices left are inferior to Feker libi...sadly
:ro: - Alcohol you was the biggest grower of the year for me. Tough act to follow
:ua: - Worried that their last year's effort was a best case scenario
:is: - Again, tough act to follow. When you have such an epic entry, how can you match or beat that? I want to be wrong though
:bg: - Tears getting sober was close to perfection in my book so good luck trying to recreate the magic here, make it happen!

Mainshow

Veteran
Okay, I will give this a shot.

Countries I expect better from:
:au: - wasn't my cup of tea so the bar is fairly low here
:es: - decent but Spain can do better and something that's a tad more remarkable
:mk: - don't a bad song, just need something more memorable
:be: - As much as I like the genre, Release me was really dull
:mt: - I said it before but diva deserves a better song.
:at: - His music isn't to my liking but I'm hoping for something more punchy.
:cz: - 2020 was okay but let's come up with something better than Okay
:gr: - Supergirl' longevity was short to say the least, I grew tired of it after two listen, give us a real banger Greece
:sm: - Senit is our queen but I don't think she realized how weak her effort was.
:rs: - Same as Greece, it was fun but I enjoy for more than just a day or two

Countries I think I'm worried won't meet my expectations:

:ie: - The most happy song (to me) in 2020, I just can't see Leslie being able to match this. Proove me wrong :)
:il: - Already confirmed as all three choices left are inferior to Feker libi...sadly
:ro: - Alcohol you was the biggest grower of the year for me. Tough act to follow
:ua: - Worried that their last year's effort was a best case scenario
:is: - Again, tough act to follow. When you have such an epic entry, how can you match or beat that? I want to be wrong though
:bg: - Tears getting sober was close to perfection in my book so good luck trying to recreate the magic here, make it happen!

I agree with basically everything you wrote apart from :ua: and :bg: - In my opinion, both artists have recently proved that they are very much capable of coming up with songs which are as good as their 2020 entries in terms of quality/production value.
Instead of Roxen or Eden, for example, these artist do not heavily rely on external songwriters, they both have already a distinctive vision of their artistry and enough talent to come up with something which still feels genuine and authentic.
Even "Ugly Cry" which was a different direction than "Tears Getting Sober" was very contemporary, of high quality and instant. Of course, it's possible to come up with something dull and less memorable but I think that Victoria as well as Go_A are quite aware of their comfort zones, talent and know what to do...

Looren

Veteran
For me :fr: will have a worse entry than last year, my favorite from the NF is "Voilà" and I really love it but it's not coming even close to the masterpiece that France gave us precedent year, I know that Tom wasn't a fan favorite (like Estonia) but he was my 3rd last year (Uku was my 2nd)

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I agree with basically everything you wrote apart from :ua: and :bg: - In my opinion, both artists have recently proved that they are very much capable of coming up with songs which are as good as their 2020 entries in terms of quality/production value.
Instead of Roxen or Eden, for example, these artist do not heavily rely on external songwriters, they both have already a distinctive vision of their artistry and enough talent to come up with something which still feels genuine and authentic.
Even "Ugly Cry" which was a different direction than "Tears Getting Sober" was very contemporary, of high quality and instant. Of course, it's possible to come up with something dull and less memorable but I think that Victoria as well as Go_A are quite aware of their comfort zones, talent and know what to do...

Well, I hope you are right. I wish for both :ua: & :bg: to wow me, the bar is so high so it kinda sucks. But you are making a valid point that both acts are fully aware of their music and style and have a proper team behind them. i guess I'm just preparing for the worst but hoping for the best :)

Mainshow

Veteran
Well, I hope you are right. I wish for both :ua: & :bg: to wow me, the bar is so high so it kinda sucks. But you are making a valid point that both acts are fully aware of their music and style and have a proper team behind them. i guess I'm just preparing for the worst but hoping for the best :)

O Boze :D You almost sound like a typical "German Eurovision" fan right now ;)

I can totally agree with you again, though, the bar is incredibly high, but I stronlgy believe that these two acts are the ones who are the most capable of "outdoing" themselves or at least, won't end up disappointing us :D

Top Bottom