Contact us

Waiting Listers - rule changes, what rules do you want? (Post #5)

Liam

Following this on from a huge thread made by Sean, which has now become filled with posts by NSC roster members (including myself). I posted a few days ago that WLers should have a more weighted decision on their future, so made this thread for them to discuss amongst themselves. Here is what he had to say:

As a mod, I know that we have a major issue in NSC. I've been a bit slack over getting something done, but the problem isn't going away and I know that. The discussions have died off lately but if we're ever going to make a smart move that both waiting listers and NSC members can feel happy about then we're going to have to agree on a thoroughly thought-out, decent and effective proposal for the problem.

At the minute, our waiting list to join the Nation Song Contest looks like this...

1. Megasalt (Jéru) (NSC 86?)
2. lowyby (Brughentwerp) (NSC 86?)
---
3. AntiAtom (Aspirinia)
4. kopachka (Ujedinjeni Gvozd)
5. VasilijeM (Denmark of Peace)
6. Charlyje (Marrakechia)
7. RomanFromRussia (Singeneria)
8. Sim (Genext) (missed 1 vote)
9. Lotus2003/F1Fan (Leonesia & St. Lotus)
10. Sahistul (ChessLand)
11. Okan (Chocolate Empire)
12. Salmon (Lithia)
13. Yoni (Cherniya)
14. Gera11 (Bigicia)
15. theditz83 (Moisantia)
16. Staewi (Social Republic of Indiria)
17. Haustor (United Huts of Haustor)
18. Mozz (Zumkotzen)
19. amateur (Lerkhatum)
20. Gogerko (Spalato) (missed 1 vote)
21. conwel97 (Tanadia)
22. Sony (Bergonic Republic)
23. mladen (Hundred Islands)
24. AdelAdel (Adelland)
25. EdvinasLTU (Randomia)
26. Archer (Vamos Bien)

The previously amended rule of "two strikes and you're out" has helped to reduce the size of the waiting list, as the more inactive members are removed more rapidly, but the list still begins to grow at a steady rate, and the amount of time people have been waiting grows longer and longer. (As you'll notice, Gringotts has withdrawn due to a lack of interest - the fact that they didn't even make it into NSC before losing interest shows that we have a major issue).

So, what is there that can be done? Previous discussions have thrown up some decent suggestions...

• Increasing the size of the roster by a multiple of 2 (i.e. 62/64/66)
Personally, I think this is the main quick fix that we can do to get movement of people into the roster. I've previously been opposed to this but with a small increase we at least let off some steam without compromising the host's ability to deal with added pressure. I know it's not foolproof though, and sooner or later this won't help either.

• Drastic overhaul of the contest's layout (i.e. a three semi-system)
See here for details of what a plan like this could be like
As you can see, we already had a poll on a system like this which totally divided opinion; many were for it, many more were against it. It's a drastic solution but the current two-semi formula could be seen as rather unsustainable if we want to continue NSC and allow more people to join us.

• NSC 2
This has really divided and split opinion, the proposal here is to create another contest just like NSC for the other waiting listers to take part in. Maybe it'd take away the integrity and magic of NSC? Maybe it'd be just what we're looking for? That's up to you to discuss...

15947288.jpg

Thanks David, we'll consider this as a possible solution too. No? Okay, moving on...

• "Make joining the waiting list harder" - Heiki
Imposing a limit based on activity/post count/amount of time as a member etc. before you can join the waiting list may help to reduce the size of the list, although it remains to be seen what kind of effect this would have on the reduction of time actually waiting to join.

• Allowing the Waiting Listers at the top to enter based on roster members taking breaks/not entering certain editions
A good idea in practice, although this raises questions about these waiting list nations not being able to have a continuous streak of participations, something which they may desire to maintain once they join for real

I can't find any other major suggestions that we've had so far, but we need to do something. The problem isn't getting any better and I know we're not going to get full approval of a scheme but we have to find something that works for the majority of people. If there seems to be enough significant support amongst NSC members for an idea then I will open an official poll to gauge enthusiasm, and if the scheme passes this we can have a think about implementing it full-time.

So then, what are your thoughts on all of this? Feel free to discuss below, as long as you keep within the rules of the forum of course :mrgreen:

Please can ONLY WLers discuss this, and roster members can continue their discussion back in the original thread. I feel this thread is the only way to allow WLers to decide what their best solution would be without being told otherwise or interrupted by people like me who don't really know how it feels to be on the current WL. :lol:

EdvinasLTU

Re: Waiting Listers - see here!

shoot all WLSC'ers. totally.

nah, I think that 4 semis would be fluffin awesome.

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member

3 Semis or increasing the size of the roster. :)

AdelAdel

I suggest making voting in the WLSC obligatory, even if you don't take part in it. As someone in the previous thread said, the WL problem is a problem of the WLers, so we should do something about it, and WLers ARE connected to the WLSC. For example - skipping 2 votes without a reason - moved down by let's say 5 places, skipping 3 votes - moved down by 10 places, etc. Or... missing 3 votes - elimination from the WL.

Liam

As I posted in the other thread, I could make some amendments to the WLSC rules I posted when the first edition of WLSC was proposed by myself. These got lost somewhere in the many pages of threads, so I'm gonna make some new ones with your help! PM me, or send me your MSN and I will definitely consider all proposals which could enable WLSC to solve some of the problems with the current WL size etc.

I don't think anyone could stop me from doing this, but of course I may need approval from one of the moderators to implement changes. I've always been a supporter of the Waiting List, even if I do think some changes may be a bit too extreme to benefit the whole of NSC.

Liam

FYI:

http://www.escforums.com/t5140/

Thanks to Vasilije for finding this for me :D

One thing I was a bit lazy (or inconsiderate) about is that the rules are the same as NSC; WLSC is not NSC as it has been established. We need a brand new rulebook for WLSC, created by WLSC's members with my help, which will help dedicated players move into the roster faster, make the WL smaller etc. So as I said, PM me!

theditz83

Veteran
Okay, I'm going to PM you later today Liam once I've been able to think things through properly. The main issues at hand from my point of view are:

- how to restrict admission to the WL and if this is necessary
- sanctions imposed on nations for missing voting deadlines, non-participation etc.
- the WL nations role in NSC and how this impacts their standing on the WL

These are in very general terms, I'll go into far more depth in my PM. I don't think we should get bogged down too much about changes in the structure of NSC since I don't actually think we should have a massive say in that (I'd like to be kept informed as a member of the community, but since the WL nations don't currently take part in NSC other than as voters, the structure should be left to the NSC nations only). We should focus on helping to develop and better WLSC on our own (with mod consultation) though as well as clarifying how involved we should be in the voting process of NSC.

Liam

Definitely agree with the above :D I look forward to your PM.

It seems people wish to see WLSC as not only a contest made for fun while WLers wait to join NSC but as an obligatory contest needed to prove your interest NSC. What do other WLers think of that?

Liam

I must add about NSC2 before everyone embarks on a huge discussion about it: as much as that idea seems to be appreciated, what will happen - a WL for both contests? When people leave NSC, who is gonna fill it up? NSC2ers who have already settled in NSC2? :lol: Not practical in my opinion!

amateur

I must add about NSC2 before everyone embarks on a huge discussion about it: as much as that idea seems to be appreciated, what will happen - a WL for both contests? When people leave NSC, who is gonna fill it up? NSC2ers who have already settled in NSC2? :lol: Not practical in my opinion!

As you said, there should be two WL's, one for each contest.

theditz83

Veteran
Definitely agree with the above :D I look forward to your PM.

It seems people wish to see WLSC as not only a contest made for fun while WLers wait to join NSC but as an obligatory contest needed to prove your interest NSC. What do other WLers think of that?

No, it shouldn't be obligatory, and non-participation shouldn't be punished, since the purpose of it is to give the WL nations something to do that they can feel completely involved with from all angles (rather than just a member of the audience as they are for NSC). I think that focus on the issue of WLSC being compulsory is needlessly drawing attention away from the other points I raised above.

And the NSC2 idea is completely moot, since we'd simply be doing what we do at the moment with WLSC but with a different name. I don't think a league-style system with promotions and relegations between two contests is the route we should take. NSC should remain a single stand-alone contest with WLSC a similarly stand-alone contest - the rules that need to be ironed out are concerning the number of nations taking part/registered, the punishments for not getting involved/being idle and the degree of involvement of WL nations in NSC - everything else are matters for the NSC nations.

AdelAdel

This leads to my post number 4 in this thread - we should make strict rules and a punishment/reward system for the WLSC for the WL nations to change positions on the list.

Liam

Thanks to those who have given suggestions so far. I'm going to bed now but I have noted down the ideas for your information:

SEMI FINALS FOR WL

WLSC SUB-FORUM

TOURNAMENT STYLE CONTEST

NSC 2 - NO MORE WLSC

AWARDS AND PUNISHMENTS
Obligatory voting in WLSC; you must vote even if you don't enter
Fail to vote 2 times = move down 5 places, and 3/5 places each time after that

THOSE WHO VOTE MORE HAVE A HIGHER CHANCE OF ENTERING NSC

EdvinasLTU

hey, we forgot main thing, we want be in nsc, not in nsc 2 or wlsc in another subforum or smth...

AdelAdel

hey, we forgot main thing, we want be in nsc, not in nsc 2 or wlsc in another subforum or smth...

Yeah, right. Our goal is to reach NSC, so the NSC 2 idea seems bad. I believe that the NSC 2 idea was proposed, because of too many nations wanting to take part, but then some nations couldn't vote for others, because they would be in a different NSC. But... if we treat NSC 2 as Asiavision for example, like... in a different continent, then... I don't know anymore :mrgreen:

Sim

Liam, I hope you like to read.

Sent my tought on this by PM with these topics:

1) Voting of WL-members in NSC
2) The entering of new members
3) The rules for WLSC
4) Some other changes I would made

Top Bottom