Contact us

Voting and the jury role in it

Daybreak

Discuss here the voting and in what format should it be, and the detailed results when they're revealed. 100% televoting, some combination of televoting and juries, whether it's fair or not and so on.

FilipFromSweden

I think it should be 100% televoting. The juries we're put into Eurovision because of the complaints about the televote being too biased and based on diaspora. But lately when you look at the televoting you can see that the televoters has started to vote differently, in my opinion I even think the juries tend to vote more for neighbors, diaspora etc. than the televoters.

Also: these '' professional '' juries seem like everyday people. Most of the times some girl or boy who was just a regular person until she finished 2nd in X-factor or something. I dislike that strongly. I mean in the Swedish jury we find 16 year old Isa: she can sing and perform, but does that make her more of a professional in music than any other 16 year old?

Daybreak

Really, there's no perfect way to determine the result. I mean, Estonia almost never passed the semi with televoting, Latvia until now never passed the semi during the jury period, and it's not like we sent totally different songs. Also, Israel has a typical ethnic dance song and qualified for the first time in years. Every attempt to turn music or other creative arts into a sports competition is always subjective. What I don't like is that the juries, rather than judge the songs equally from a neutral standpoint, tend to vote for just a different genre than the public.

Being a songwriter myself, I have to say it takes an effort for a professional to remain objective like any other person. The thing is, I think Eurovision needs more variety, more seriousness and we're not getting artists from non-typical ESC genres (basically anything that's not the default schlager/pop ballads/etc) to participate if they'll be competing with turkeys and drag queens.

MyHeartIsYours

I think the solution is to have 75% televoting/25% jury voting. Last year the jury had too much of a sway over the televoting results, and this year it's even led to the first and third place entrants swapping positions. This cannot be right. But at the same time, some jury vote is necessary to at least dampen down some of the diaspora/political voting.

Daybreak

I think the solution is to have 75% televoting/25% jury voting. Last year the jury had too much of a sway over the televoting results, and this year it's even led to the first and third place entrants swapping positions. This cannot be right. But at the same time, some jury vote is necessary to at least dampen down some of the diaspora/political voting.

I agree.

nofuxCZ

Yeah, the power of juries need to be reduced. They are needed to tone down the diaspora etc., but their say in overall results at this moment is too big. They can vote negatively, while the public doesn't have this power.

Franzilein

I agree with previous posts. I may be biased at the moment, because I wanted Italy to win so badly, but five "music experts" shouldn't be able to have the same "power" as a whole country (and think about it – who is easier to corrupt: A few people or a whole nation?).

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I don't think the current jury is that "expert" to judge for millions. Plus Eurovision isn't really a contest where you can judge objectively. What pisses me off is that people are complaining just now. This is happening since 2010, wake up sheeple xrofl2

Nobody complained when Italy was forced on our throats as runner-up in 2011 :rolleyes:

Brandt

In general, I am by side of kicking juries out of the contest. They are mostly working under an agreement from the broadcasters.
But for this year, for the very first time, I am by juries' side. If they weren't, Italy would win the whole thing. I can't even imagine.

ElRuso

I don't think the current jury is that "expert" to judge for millions. Plus Eurovision isn't really a contest where you can judge objectively. What pisses me off is that people are complaining just now. This is happening since 2010, wake up sheeple xrofl2

Nobody complained when Italy was forced on our throats as runner-up in 2011 :rolleyes:

I complained since 2009 :rolleyes:

Alaska49

the problem is not the juries, it's not even the 50/50 split

it's the new system where the full rankings from televote and juries are used. since juries vote before and have an idea of where their televotes will land, it allows them to actively sabotage televote winners while obviously televoters don't have the same control since they can only vote FOR a country rather than decide their entire order.

for example, elhaida won the voice of italy and therefore would obviously win their televote. the juries put her at SECOND LAST in their vote, resulting in albania getting 0 points from italy despite winning their televote. it's ironic that italy was so transparently corrupt when they ended up being the biggest victim of said corruption, but it just goes to show the new way they split the votes is gross and dishonest. i want the old 50/50 split (juries only make a top 10 and that combines with the televote's top 10) back.

ElRuso

the problem is not the juries, it's not even the 50/50 split

it's the new system where the full rankings from televote and juries are used. since juries vote before and have an idea of where their televotes will land, it allows them to actively sabotage televote winners while obviously televoters don't have the same control since they can only vote FOR a country rather than decide their entire order.

for example, elhaida won the voice of italy and therefore would obviously win their televote. the juries put her at SECOND LAST in their vote, resulting in albania getting 0 points from italy despite winning their televote. it's ironic that italy was so transparently corrupt when they ended up being the biggest victim of said corruption, but it just goes to show the new way they split the votes is gross and dishonest. i want the old 50/50 split (juries only make a top 10 and that combines with the televote's top 10) back.

Sweden would have won with old system too

Alaska49

well, one would have to collect all the top 10s and merge them to confirm that, and most importantly if the system was different then the jury mindset would also be different because they'd know they'd have less control

also i don't mind sweden winning without the televote win. i mind that they achieved that because a handful of juries specifically put italy near the bottom. it just looks fishy. it's obviously not mans's fault or svt's fault but it shows a huge flaw in the new system.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

Yeah, because winning Voice of Italy and having such a poor performance on ESC stage should 100% give you the italian 12 :lol: I actually like more how Jury ranked Albania, because they didn't vote according to her previous performances and her prestige, but for her poor performance on stage.

That doesn't make the way juries vote okay, but it's just a poor example :lol:

Alaska49

maybe albania isn't the best example because all juries apparently hated her (i personally thought she was lovely) but italian juries sinking romania every year to counter the diaspora is ugly.

also, this is also about the absurdity of winning a televote amounting to no points at all. maybe the italian jurors didn't want to sabotage elhaida but why do they get to make her televotes invalid? televoters don't have the same power and it shows because jury winners always do sort of well in the televote (possibly because the jurors suspect they will do well in the televote to begin with).

it was a lot fairer and a lot less shady when juries only picked a top 10. yes, they still wouldn't pick albania and romania, but they wouldn't have the power to remove their televote points (and consciously use it).

ps: i also want to reiterate that i do not hold any of this against mans or sweden at all. mans was great and i love him and think he was treated unfairly by multiple media outlets and fans in the past couple of months. he was simply the beneficiary of a really fishy, unnatural looking dissonance between televoters and jurors.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
maybe albania isn't the best example because all juries apparently hated her (i personally thought she was lovely) but italian juries sinking romania every year to counter the diaspora is ugly.

also, this is also about the absurdity of winning a televote amounting to no points at all. maybe the italian jurors didn't want to sabotage elhaida but why do they get to make her televotes invalid? televoters don't have the same power and it shows because jury winners always do sort of well in the televote (possibly because the jurors suspect they will do well in the televote to begin with).

it was a lot fairer and a lot less shady when juries only picked a top 10. yes, they still wouldn't pick albania and romania, but they wouldn't have the power to remove their televote points (and consciously use it).

I don't think they know how the televote will vote. I mean they probably have hints from semi-finals, but still xthink As for Romania being trashed by jury, this happens every single year :lol: This year we deserved to be sinked, tho.

I agree that the current system is absolutely horrifying. 5 people having the same influence as millions, when they clearly don't have anything "special" rather than the public is outrageous.

Top Bottom