Contact us

Voting after deadline

Mackan

I would like to discuss one thing that has always disturbed me and many others. People who vote after deadline. Sometimes it makes so that the show will start later and the host has to deal with votes in the very last minute.

You have one whole week to vote, everyone knows the deadline and who is in the competition has to follow the rules.
I think we all agree on that but unfortunately some don't since people vote after the deadline.

Sometimes you also see people who vote after deadline who has been on Facebook, MSN, Twitter, forum and other sites through the whole week or when the deadline is. How come they had time for that but not voting in time? I will not mention any names.

I would like to see a change unfortunately I don't have any suggestion myself for what to do (:mrgreen:) but I believe if we all discuss we will come up with something. Maybe the main NSC don't even want a change. Please let us discuss.

I also want to point out this is not a host-issue, this is about people voting after deadline.

MrJadeEwen

As far as voting after the deadline goes, it's a major risk. Sometimes the host accepts, sometimes the host does not. If the host doesn't you are right in what you say.

The help for voting before the deadline is given already. 1 week to vote, recaps to aid ordering the points, Live Listenings are also useful to organise votes. If people are around they have all they need to vote before the deadline

Of course from time to time people get insanely busy, family/health problems and will have the one-off edition where this happens. But yeah the msn/twitter etc. things i do agree with you. But there is no real way of enforcing this other than which is already done (no voting means your score is cut or miss the next NSC).

Sabrewulf238

Personally if I was hosting, I wouldn't mind accepting a vote or two after the deadline as long as it didn't put too much strain on me. I don't play this game so I can be an overly strict rules tyrant.

Having said that, if I felt people were just taking advantage of my lax attitude and I got about over 5 late votes I'd probably reject them all.

Keep it casual guys, I wouldn't have a hissy fit over a few late votes but don't take advantage either.

How to change it....maybe there should be some sort of incentive to voting before the deadline? Like a points system. Maybe then we could exchange the points for something. (I've no clue what though...). All of this would be unrelated to contest results of course.

I don't think there should be a punishment for voting late, but instead a reward for voting within the deadline. At least that means people wouldn't be punished because they had a family emergency or something like that.

Last edited:

twister

I just posted a lovely essay but my SUPER ******************** INTERNET destroyed it. buhu. I said anyway something like, I vote in the end of the week cause I change my opinion about the song from the beginning of the week to the end. IRL things can always happen and internet can die (LIKE NOW SDHDASDASN). I think it's up to the host what to do, but I don't think you should change the result show time just because of late voters. = If you have time before the show = accept, if you dont = don't accept. Deadline is a deadline.

Liam

I don't think you should offer points to people who vote early as that is the vast majority. I just think, give yourself enough time, should your internet die and if you are late you should have better organisational skills. Voters get rewarded, late voters get denied :D

Fearnavigatr

If the host decides to accept votes after the deadline, that's his/her decision. We can't go around enforcing strictness for the sake of strictness, that would be pretty senseless and not at all in the spirit of a "just for fun competition". We're not dealing with university assignments.

Avoiding repetition of things that have already been said ("as long as it doesn't delay results" etc.), I'll move on to this:
What surprises me is the philosophy around voting that a lot of people seem to have, a sort of "I don't care, it's all your own fault if you don't vote, face the consequences" viewpoint. Of course the voter has a duty to fulfill, and of course failure to do so needs its consequences. But from the way I see it, since the host is supposed to act as vote collector, it's also the host's duty to make sure the votes are collected, to be active and properly remind and inform the remaining voters, perhaps assist in finding a solution if someone's got difficulties delivering their votes. If any votes still don't arrive after that, that's a shame and the show needs to go on without them, but at least you tried.

All nations participating are supposed to vote, and it's the proper results from all votes we really want to see. One missing voter is not a failure for that person, it's a failure for everyone.

dogmeat

Everyone is participating the contest for having fun from this. If someone doesn't feel like sacrifying his time, perhaps the potential fun isn't worth his time. His choice, leave him be. It's not anyone's duty to vote, it's a right. Who am i to tell others how they'd best spent their leisure time?
Some random person missing some fun is far from what i'd consider my failure.

If i ever host, i'll simply go by a philosophy "I'm gonna do my best to satisfy you, how/whether you'll decide to take use of what i'm preparing, is your choice".

My Star

I think it should be solely at the discretion of the host. If the late voters votes don't effect the hosts plans,then they should be allowed to vote. Who cares if someone votes at 2.00 am if the deadline was 11.59pm - if it's not effecting the host's plans then sobeit! This isn't a super organised bureaucratic organisation we're running here - it's simply an online contest. No need to be overly harsh if it isn't effecting anyone adversely.

Most of this has been said before so
tl;dr: Keep things relaxed.

Fearnavigatr

Everyone is participating the contest for having fun from this. If someone doesn't feel like sacrifying his time, perhaps the potential fun isn't worth his time. His choice, leave him be. It's not anyone's duty to vote, it's a right. Who am i to tell others how they'd best spent their leisure time?
Some random person missing some fun is far from what i'd consider my failure.

If i ever host, i'll simply go by a philosophy "I'm gonna do my best to satisfy you, how/whether you'll decide to take use of what i'm preparing, is your choice".
No one could ever be forced to vote, if you don't you don't, there's nothing beyond that. However, by signing up in the first place, you show intention towards commitment that ideally should be carried through, otherwise all voting might just as well be completely optional.

doctormalisimo

I think it should be solely at the discretion of the host. If the late voters votes don't effect the hosts plans,then they should be allowed to vote. Who cares if someone votes at 2.00 am if the deadline was 11.59pm - if it's not effecting the host's plans then sobeit! This isn't a super organised bureaucratic organisation we're running here - it's simply an online contest. No need to be overly harsh if it isn't effecting anyone adversely.

Most of this has been said before so
tl;dr: Keep things relaxed.

if only teachers were like you ;)

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
The host has total power over this situation already, so i don't see what the problem is to be honest.

94ayd

Um, late votes should be accepted until the results show starts, I think. I wouldn't change the deadline if there were like 5 non-voters, as there's a possibility they'll arrive in time for the show to start. ;)

Mackan

Ok, so I see the most don't share my opinion. If anyone more share my opinion speak up or things will just remain the same. I'm going to London tomorrow so bye, bye!

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I should probably add my two penneth worth to this, thought I will just echo what people have already said.

First of all, mackan you voted after the deadline last edition so it's not like you're infallable when it comes to these things xD

The line I'm going to take is that as long as people aren't taking the piss with the amount of time that they are taking and they have a good reason, I will accept unless it affects my plans. As I want to get the results shows done as close as possible to the deadline (they will hopefully be right after for the semis, the next day for the final) then it's not very likely at all that I will be accepting late votes unless there is a really good reason.

Ultimately it's up to the host to decide, and while I may do it one way the next host may be stricter or more lenient. Either way, there should be no reason why we would have to install another rule to stop people from voting late. 75% or a disqualification from the next edition is enough of a deterrent, no?

Mackan

First of all, mackan you voted after the deadline last edition so it's not like you're infallable when it comes to these things xD

Yes, I know that I did so. Just because lack of interests and I think it was wrong and I did apologize for it. But I still believe it is wrong to vote after the deadline and that something should be done.

Top Bottom