Contact us

Visiting football grounds (groundhopping).

DutchSuomiFan

Do any of you do groundhopping? I usually don't but when I'm on holidays, I like to visit football grounds, not matter how big or how small they are. Here's a little story + pictures of me visiting football grounds :).

As some of you know by looking at the Image of you thread, I visited US Bormiese to exchange scarves. I did the same thing at VfR Kaiserslautern and FC Blau Weiß Feldkirch. It was great to be at those clubs. Here are some pictures from my visit to the VfR Kaiserslautern ground.

We also went to the SCR Altach stadium in 2017 & 2018.

As I mentioned above, we also exchanged scarves with FC Blau Weiß Feldkirch. We enjoyed it and so did the club! They even posted a picture with some info about our visit on their Insta and their website !http://bwfeldkirch.at/2017/07/28/fussball-verbindet/

We then went to FC Vaduz and FC Triesen. I made some perfect pictures.

I also made this picture of an FC Balzers floodlight

US Bormiese

ASV Schluderns

Austria Lustenau

ASV Martell

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

Ive always thought groundhopping is a nice hobby if I got the money and the time, especially coming to exotical places like Africa or Oceanian islands. Or attending matches in Southern America with that crazy and unreal atmosphere.

However, the only stadiums Ive been visiting to attend matches were the Weserstadion (home stadium of my favorite team) and the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg (only once, though, and I dont like to remember that). Its a big dream of mine to see a match in Anfield one day. To witness this exceptional and thrilling atmosphere... and to sing YNWA with thousands of fans

Whenever I visit othr cities for holidays or different purposes I yet try to visit the stadiums and take photos of them (not from the inside, though). Amongst others, Ive been to Stamford Bridge, the Telenor Arena in Oslo and the Friends Arena in Stockholm. Last year I coincidentally visited the Comunale Artemio Franchi in Florence (stadium of Fiorentina) when we had a sport tournament nearby. However it's everything but an eye candy xcrazy Maybe I still find nice photos of all those visits.

DutchSuomiFan

Ive always thought groundhopping is a nice hobby if I got the money and the time, especially coming to exotical places like Africa or Oceanian islands. Or attending matches in Southern America with that crazy and unreal atmosphere.

However, the only stadiums Ive been visiting to attend matches were the Weserstadion (home stadium of my favorite team) and the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg (only once, though, and I dont like to remember that). Its a big dream of mine to see a match in Anfield one day. To witness this exceptional and thrilling atmosphere... and to sing YNWA with thousands of fans

Whenever I visit othr cities for holidays or different purposes I yet try to visit the stadiums and take photos of them (not from the inside, though). Amongst others, Ive been to Stamford Bridge, the Telenor Arena in Oslo and the Friends Arena in Stockholm. Last year I coincidentally visited the Comunale Artemio Franchi in Florence (stadium of Fiorentina) when we had a sport tournament nearby. However it's everything but an eye candy xcrazy Maybe I still find nice photos of all those visits.

It's nice to look up grounds from villages. This year i am going to visit the SK Meiningen ground. That is a ground located exactly at the Austrian-Swiss border! I'm gonna visit some grounds in the Eifel as well.

Ausesken

I've only visited two football grounds.

The first one was the Camp Nou (F.C.Barcelona), one normal day when it was empty. I think I was 7 years old or so. Years later I visited it again to attend the match Barça - Celtic F.C. on 23rd October 2012, thanks to one of my dad's friends. He and her daughter couldn't go so we used their tickets :lol: and that was the last time I was there. Two pictures:

QpAjJ9A.jpg

rCspHrV.jpg

And of course I go every two weeks more or less to watch my team (Girona F.C.) play in Montilivi. Here's a picture of horrible quality, but notice I barely use my phone (only for this I must be considered a piece for museum or something) and didn't realise I had the wrong settings XD

EpsBIlG.jpg

Edit: when I lived in Madrid my flat was very close to the Real Madrid stadium, but never found a moment to visit it (not that I wanted to give my money to the 'enemy' anyway XDD)

DutchSuomiFan

I've only visited two football grounds.

The first one was the Camp Nou (F.C.Barcelona), one normal day when it was empty. I think I was 7 years old or so. Years later I visited it again to attend the match Barça - Celtic F.C. on 23rd October 2012, thanks to one of my dad's friends. He and her daughter couldn't go so we used their tickets :lol: and that was the last time I was there. Two pictures:

QpAjJ9A.jpg

rCspHrV.jpg

And of course I go every two weeks more or less to watch my team (Girona F.C.) play in Montilivi. Here's a picture of horrible quality, but notice I barely use my phone (only for this I must be considered a piece for museum or something) and didn't realise I had the wrong settings XD

EpsBIlG.jpg

Edit: when I lived in Madrid my flat was very close to the Real Madrid stadium, but never found a moment to visit it (not that I wanted to give my money to the 'enemy' anyway XDD)

Your 'horrible quality' still looks 1000 times better than the picture I posted of the ASV Martell ground!

I went to the Almere City (Dutch 2nd league) ground a few months ago. It's obviously not the prettiest stadium you'll ever see. The stadium was closed, but we managed to take pictures from the tv camera room so it wasn't easy to take proper pictures anyway.

aqw9QWM.png

sSskFde.png

5KrK4h5.png

pjelacki

I'm an insufferable travel hipster and whenever I go abroad I see what matches I can attend. Have been to the following places:

:de: Olympiapark (1860 Munich 0-0 Borussia Dortmund)
:en: Goodison Park (Everton 2-2 Arsenal FC) (saw Anfield Road from outside) - Video - #1 #2
:en: Old Trafford (stadium tour) - #1 #2
:en: St James' Park (stadium tour) - #1
:en: Etihad Stadium (Manchester City 1-2 Tottenham) - #1
:sc: Celtic Park (Celtic FC 1-2 FC Salzburg & Celtic FC 0-1 NK Maribor) - Video 1, Video 2 - #1
:ie: Croke Park (not for football, but for Gaelic football) - Video - #1
:ie: Aviva Park (stadium tour) - #1 #2
:is: Laugardalsvöllur (just randomly went there to take pictures from outside)
:se: Råsundastadion (AIK v HIF 2-1) - #1 (forgot to bring my camera to the match but have this picture I took of the fan shop :oops:)
:pl: Stadion Energa Gdansk (Lechia 0-1 Cracovia) - #1
:es: Santiago Bérnabeu (Real Madrid 1-1 Tottenham FC) - #1
:pt: Estádio da Luz (Benfica CP 1-0 Moreirense) (saw Alvalade from outside) - #1
:kr: Seoul World Cup Stadium (FC Seoul 2-1 Suwon Bluewings) - Video - #1 #2 #3 #4
::sg National Stadium (no match but easy to take pictures)
:at: Red Bull Arena, Enoch Misoph Volltreffer Stadion, TGW Arena, Tivoli (#1, this was Sweden v Spain at the Euros in 2008), Generali Arena, Ernst Happel and the ground of my home town in division 4

bucket list:
:de: Millerntor
:gr: Kleanthis Vikelidis
:mx: Azteca
:ar: Monumental/Bombonera/Estádio de Libertadores
:pt: Estádio de Braga (just beautiful, guess I could have gone from Lisbon but football stadiums just weren't priority when deciding to come to Portugal in May 2018)

plans for 2019:
:be: Jan Breydel (for Europa League 1/16s)
:il: hopefully catching a match or two in May
:az: national stadium (for May 29,... hey one can dream? :mrgreen:)

DutchSuomiFan

I'm an insufferable travel hipster and whenever I go abroad I see what matches I can attend. Have been to the following places:

:de: Olympiapark (1860 Munich 0-0 Borussia Dortmund)
:en: Goodison Park (Everton 2-2 Arsenal FC) (saw Anfield Road from outside)
:en: Old Trafford (stadium tour)
:en: St James' Park (stadium tour)
:en: Etihad Stadium (Manchester City 1-2 Tottenham)
:sc: Celtic Park (Celtic FC 1-2 FC Salzburg & Celtic FC 0-1 NK Maribor)
:ie: Croke Park (not for football, but for Gaelic football)
:ie: Aviva Park (stadium tour)
:is: Laugardalsvöllur (just randomly went there to take pictures from outside)
:se: Råsundastadion (AIK v HIF 2-1)
:pl: Stadion Energa Gdansk (Lechia 0-1 Cracovia)
:es: Santiago Bérnabeu (Real Madrid 1-1 Tottenham FC)
:pt: Estádio da Luz (Benfica CP 1-0 Moreirense) (saw Alvalade from outside)
:kr: Seoul World Cup Stadium (FC Seoul 2-1 Suwon Bluewings)
::sg National Stadium (no match but easy to take pictures)
:at: Red Bull Arena, Enoch Misoph Volltreffer Stadion, TGW Arena, Tivoli, Generali Arena, Ernst Happel and the ground of my home town in division 4

bucket list:
:de: Millerntor
:gr: Kleanthis Vikelidis
:mx: Azteca
:ar: Monumental/Bombonera/Estádio de Libertadores
:pt: Estádio de Braga (just beautiful, guess I could have gone from Lisbon but football stadiums just weren't priority when deciding to come to Portugal in May 2018)

plans for 2019:
:be: Jan Breydel (for Europa League 1/16s)
:il: hopefully catching a match or two in May
:az: national stadium (for May 29,... hey one can dream? :mrgreen:)

Have you got any pictures from your visits?:)

lucian-crusher

I've visited and attended matches on:

:ro:: Bucharest (National Arena, Steaua, Dinamo, Rapid, Cotroceni, Regie, Metaloglobus, Rocar, Romprim, Girueta), Brasov (Tineretului - Silviu Ploiesteanu), Petrosani (Jiul), Voluntari (Anghel Iordanescu), Chiajna (Concordia), Craiova (Ion Oblemenco), Drobeta Turnu Severin (Municipal, Severnav), Giurgiu (Marin Anastasovici), Alexandria (Municipal)

:bg: Sofia (Georgi Asparuhov, Slavia)

:gr: Athens (Karaiskakis)

:it: Rome (Olimpico)

I really want to visit Stamford Brigde and Wanda Metropolitano!

JamieBrown

Visiting Football Matches
:de: RheinEnergieStadion (Cologne)
:de: BayArena (Leverkusen)
:de: Schwarzwaldstadion (Freiburg)
:de: Auestadion (Kassel)

Visiting the Stadium
:de: Olympiastadion (Munich)

Watching the European Athletics Championships :D
:es: Estadi Olímpic Lluís Company (Barcelona)

Probably the Weserstadion in Bremen will follow soonish

ShoeFlo

Probably the Weserstadion in Bremen will follow soonish

Any concrete plans?

Be warned, our visitor block is like a cage. From what Ive heard (and what I believe) the viewing conditions are rather poor xcrazy

Edit: oh wait, you only want to visit the stadium not attend a match, right?

JamieBrown

Any concrete plans?

Be warned, our visitor block is like a cage. From what Ive heard (and what I believe) the viewing conditions are rather poor xcrazy

Edit: oh wait, you only want to visit the stadium not attend a match, right?

No concrete plans, been invite by a Werder supporter. So it won't be 'the cage' ;)

pjelacki

Are you headed to Luminus Arena (Home of KRC Genk) for the UCL too?

will do if I manage to arrange the days off from work xheya

in the mean time I've also visited :be: Jan Breydel (Club Brugge 2-1 FC Salzburg), :mk: Toše Proeski Arena (North Macedonia 1-4 Austria) and :ba: Bijeli Brijeg Stadion (stadium tour) :cool:

njdevils94

Veteran
will do if I manage to arrange the days off from work xheya

in the mean time I've also visited :be: Jan Breydel (Club Brugge 2-1 FC Salzburg), :mk: Toše Proeski Arena (North Macedonia 1-4 Austria) and :ba: Bijeli Brijeg Stadion (stadium tour) :cool:

Are you happy if they (:at: Salzburg) finish 3rd in the group or is there real optimism to get to the last 16? I know they have had their best start ever in the Austrian Bundesliga with 27 goals in 6 games under American coach Jesse Marsch with Haland scoring 8 already and Hwang Hee-Chan scoring 4 and assisting on 5 more. :)

Top Bottom