Contact us

Update: New Voting System - Countries 11 to 26 will be only displayed

macmillanandwife

I was quite impressed with the new voting system, it kept me on my toes the whole way. I'm still annoyed about how the spokespersons only declared the 12 points, and even then Petra had this "OMG shut the f*** up and tell us" face to almost everyone presenting the votes. The only thing I wished they would have done was after the 16 lowest scores were presented they could have shown the number of points the country got when announcing the top ten, similar to what they do in Melodifestivalen. I mean if people know what the number actually is on the screen. It would be easier to visualize for people.

As with the bottom 16, I was glad they did not show the faces of those contestants who got less than 50 points. It was very polite thing of SVT to do.

As for the new voting system, I'm glad that there is no more point cancelling anymore. It doesn't solve all the problems, but it's a good and much needed improvement.

MrJadeEwen

I got bored this morning and decided for reasons (see username) to do 2009 results under 2016 voting rules

1 :no: Norway 690 (=)
2 :is: Iceland 433 (=)
3 :az: Azerbaijan 365 (=)
4 :uk: UK 328 (+1)
5 :tr: Turkey 317 (-1)
6 :ee: Estonia 253 (=)
7 :gr: Greece 244 (=)
8 :fr: France 218 (=)
9 :ba: Bosnia & Herzegovina 214 (=)
10 :ru: Russia 185 (+1)
11 :am: Armenia 182 (-1)
12 :dk: Denmark 160 (+1)
13 :md: Moldova 159 (+1)
14 :ua: Ukraine 138 (-2)
15 :il: Israel 122 (+1)
16 :hr: Croatia 113 (+2)
17 :pt: Portugal 109 (-2)
18 :al: Albania 107 (-1)
19 :mt: Malta 105 (+3)
20 :ro: Romania 95 (-1)
21 :de: Germany 91 (-1)
22 :se: Sweden 86 (-1)
23 :lt: Lithuania 69 (=)
24 :es: Spain 47 (=)
25 :fi: Finland 42 (=)

After spending ages doing it I realised there is bugger all difference to the top 3 and bottom 3, minor changes elsewhere and the biggest mover (Malta) only moved 3 spaces. Sighhh. Ah well hope someone else enjoys reading the results :mrgreen:

NemesisNick

I still think it would make more sense for them to contact each country and get a spokesperson to announce the televote, then show the jury packages. I mean, who really wants to see a person saying 'this is how Germany voted' when, in reality, it's how 5 German representatives voted? They can't speak for the entire country.
I have written a report about what would have happened if the 42 spokespersons had announced each country's televoting points, with the 1-10 flashed on screen, and the 12 points announced by the spokesperson, followed by Måns Zelmerlöw and Petra Mede announcing the 26 finalists' jury totals. The following link takes you there:

Alternative Voting Presentation

Please note that I've assumed the televoting points from the 42 spokespersons would have been in the same order as that chosen for their presentation of the jury points. Unfortunately I didn't have the time or know-how to create a graphic simulation of the scoreboard as each country's televoting points would have been added, so I've not been able to see visually how the countries would have moved around, or at what point Russia would have become uncatchable on televoting points alone (if at all). For the jury results part, I analysed the movement of each country around the scoreboard by putting the jury totals into a spreadsheet and sorting the spreadsheet each time.

macmillanandwife

Well, it would have been a much bigger uproar when the Petra or Mans announced that :ru: received only 130 points from the jury, 7 points to :pl: and only 1 pt to :de: but better applause that the :cz: got 41 points and :fr: and :mt: receiving 148 and 137 pts respectfully. The jury point allocation was much more spread evenly (other than :au: and :ua:) than the televote so it would be a much different reorganization. It would be the question of if :au: would have enough points to clinch 1st place form :ua:. Possibly next year they would announce the televoting results via spokesperson first then jury collectively. However, I think the EBU's perception is that the televote is perceived as much more unpredictable than the jury so it would be better to announce their scores at the end.

NemesisNick

Possibly next year they would announce the televoting results via spokesperson first then jury collectively. However, I think the EBU's perception is that the televote is perceived as much more unpredictable than the jury so it would be better to announce their scores at the end.
The trouble with that method is this. This year viewers voted by phone, text or app during the live grand final Saturday 14 May 2016, whereas juries voted during the dress rehearsal the previous evening. Just before the jury results were about to be announced, Jon Ola Sand stated that the EBU had a valid result from the 42 professional juries, and they were thus ready to present the jury results, but more time was needed to validate and verify the televoting results. The final validation and verification of the televoting results was done whilst the 42 spokespersons announced the jury results. Once all 42 spokespersons had announced the jury results, Jon Ola Sand stated that the EBU had a valid televoting result, and they were ready to reveal the televoting totals in the new manner. Announcing the televoting scores in the traditional manner (by 42 spokespersons) first would have delayed the start of the scoring procedure considerably. They'd have needed more interval acts between closure of the phone lines and starting the announcement of the scores (possibly causing the entire final to take longer, perhaps over 4 hours). Either that and/or they might have needed a lines open time considerably shorter than the 40 minutes that viewers had this year; the EBU might have needed to limit televoting to just 15 minutes, which might not have been long enough for everyone voting to cast their vote(s). I for one, watching in the UK, deliberately delayed trying to vote; I voted quite some way into the 40 minute voting window.

I think it's best for the spokespersons to announce each country's jury results first, as the EBU already has them before the Grand Final starts (albeit a closely guarded secret). The televoting results can be validated and verified during the 30 minutes or so it takes all the countries' spokespersons to announce the jury points. Once all the jury points are on the scoreboard, the EBU will almost certainly be ready to announce the televoting totals.

Pawhlen

I have written a report about what would have happened if the 42 spokespersons had announced each country's televoting points, with the 1-10 flashed on screen, and the 12 points announced by the spokesperson, followed by Måns Zelmerlöw and Petra Mede announcing the 26 finalists' jury totals. The following link takes you there:

Alternative Voting Presentation

Please note that I've assumed the televoting points from the 42 spokespersons would have been in the same order as that chosen for their presentation of the jury points. Unfortunately I didn't have the time or know-how to create a graphic simulation of the scoreboard as each country's televoting points would have been added, so I've not been able to see visually how the countries would have moved around, or at what point Russia would have become uncatchable on televoting points alone (if at all). For the jury results part, I analysed the movement of each country around the scoreboard by putting the jury totals into a spreadsheet and sorting the spreadsheet each time.

https://scorewiz.eu/scoreboard/view/245114/eurovision-song-contest-2016-opposite

Top Bottom