Contact us

Unpopular (ESC) opinions

Realest

Victors Livevocals were pretty good and the hate against him, mostly from Portugalfans, was disgusting.

JollityFarm

*Every Way That I Can and My Number One are fine and I don't hate them, but I don't get why so many of the fans fall over themselves to praise them.

*Similarly, Euphoria is good, but it's not that exciting.

*Meanwhile, Rimmi Rimmi Ley is a great song, if you want Turkish entries from this century (not the only Turkish entry this century I like, but this is for my unpopular opinions)

*Luxembourg should have done better in 1970, I don't get why that got no points.

*Austria should have done better in 1957, that song always makes me smile.

*Meanwhile, Udo Jurgens' other Eurovision entries are better than Merci Cherie, and I think Norway or Yugoslavia should have won in 1966.

*Yugoslavia should have won in 1983, and Finland, Denmark or possibly Luxembourg should have won in 1989.

*Ireland should have won or come top three at least in 1972, and I agree that we in the U.K. should think more about sending a song in one of our Celtic languages.

*Actually, someone should send a song in Latin. I'd support the Latin song.

*In fact, I often prefer it when songs are in a language I don't speak. So many of our dull entries (and other dull entries in English) would have been more listenable if I didn't know what they were about. There's only so much "he dumped me and I am sad" I can be bothered with.

*My favourite U.K. entry, out of literally all of them, is Children of the Universe from 2014.

tuorem

*In fact, I often prefer it when songs are in a language I don't speak. So many of our dull entries (and other dull entries in English) would have been more listenable if I didn't know what they were about. There's only so much "he dumped me and I am sad" I can be bothered with.

I was thinking about that lately xthink

As a French man, if French dominated the contest in a parallel universe like English does in this one, I probably wouldn't be a eurofan for I couldn't stand the questionable accents, nonsensical / trite lyrics, broken grammar and whatnot. For instance, it annoyed me that Leonora sang "L'amour est pour toujours", it's not how a native speaker would say "Love is forever".

I'm already bothered by bad lyrics in English, so I can only imagine what it would be like to hear my native language being brutalised by virtually everyone. :lol:

Therefore, I agree with your point of view: if you don't have anything interesting to say or you can't word your message in a compelling way, then please sing in your own language and spare us your atrocious lyrics. :lol:

Mainshow

Veteran
I would like to see San Marino withdraw. Despite them not sending any authentic and quality entries, I really hate the fake televoting which doesn't make sense at all. It leaves a bitter taste...

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I would like to see San Marino withdraw. Despite them not sending any authentic and quality entries, I really hate the fake televoting which doesn't make sense at all. It leaves a bitter taste...

I wouldn't go as far as withdrawing, but the fake televoting is just ridiculous. At this point, just don't count it or something...

Mainshow

Veteran
I wouldn't go as far as withdrawing, but the fake televoting is just ridiculous. At this point, just don't count it or something...

It would be unfair if a country can only cast one set of points (+ it's an advantage for San Marino if it qualified for the final). I can remember that the broadcaster of San Marino asked the EBU if they can "double" the jury votes or ask 500 people from San Marino to come up with votes (like a panel)... But strangely, these ideas got shelved thanks to the EBU.

In the end, I think that Greece deserved better (because the production itself was brilliant) but it's so unfair, random and pathetic that San Marino awarded 10 points to Greece as part of its fake televoting. Greece just got 12 points from Cyprus & 2 from Albania... in what kind of parallel universe do these points result into a "calculated" 10 points from San Marino?

The EBU and the broadcaster of the EBU really need to fix that ASAP!

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
It would be unfair if a country can only cast one set of points (+ it's an advantage for San Marino if it qualified for the final). I can remember that the broadcaster of San Marino asked the EBU if they can "double" the jury votes or ask 500 people from San Marino to come up with votes (like a panel)... But strangely, these ideas got shelved thanks to the EBU.

Yeah that's the problem, SM would receive more potential points than the others. The two propositions were good alternatives, the EBU could have actually done an exception and use one of them...

Preuss

Thanks for saving Cyprus and Greece from total embarassment though

But yes I agree it’s stupid

Realest

All these Conspiracies about the EBU being biased against eastern Countries are annoying and fake as the artificial Kazakhstan-Hype every Year.
Russia deserved Top3 this Year.
I want Laura Bretan to win Eurovision next Year with a Song from Borislav Milanov.

ESC94

I really HATED Petra Mede as host in 2013, she was just unnatural und not funny at all!!

With Mans on her side in 2016 i liked her a bit more, but i still believe there are better TV hosts in Sweden.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
People who rank Marie Myriam first in 1977 do not understand Eurovision.

ESC94

I can already see the angry comments coming, but I´m not a huge fan of :se: as an ESC country. From a technical side their entries are perfectly produced and the respective artists mostly do a great job on stage, but sometimes too much perfection can make a song feel sterile, and for me this is the case with many of their ESC songs. When I listen to most Swedish entries of the decade I feel absolutely nothing!!

Another problem I have is that during the last years is that to me the swedish artists, especially Benjamin and Robin, often came across as pretty pretentious and unlikable, which I think in Benjamins case was also responsible to his bad televoting result.

But this is just my opinion, so please don´t hate me!!

Realest

:cz:s National Final is very bad and overrated by the Fans.
:se:s Semifinal 1 is already the best Nf of the Season although 75% of the Songs arent revealed yet.
Uku Suviste deserves a Top5 at Eurovision.

Realest

I dont get why so many ESC-Fans are so egoistic and cheer for their own Favourites in NFs instead of the Entry who has the most Successpotential.

Realest

Excuse me, but why should I support a song I absolutely hate just because it has the "best" potential?? There´s nothing egoistic in supporting your favourite. xshrug

Welcome to the "unpopular esc opinions" Thread my Friend :coffee:

Top Bottom