Croak-kay
giphy.gif

deen1_537640491.jpg

Playlist missing Mars Agro - Losing You and Eartha Kitt - I Love Men

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
z42NxKd.png

Vivian Girls start us off. If you’re an old-timer here you may remember I shared with WorldVision one of this band’s members via a group called La Sera way back at WV58. Before Katy Goodman formed that group with her husband she played with these girls (and recently reformed with them too). I Heard You Say is a dreamy number taken from Vivian Girls’ 2011 release, Share The Joy. Here Cassie Ramone’s unique voice takes the lead vocal.

Pink Mexico are next. They play a dirty kind of fuzz rock that’s super infectious and hard hitting. Dirty & Stupid is taken from the 2019 release, Dump, and it was one of my favourite songs of last year. Unfortunately this is one of the releases that has fallen victim to the Burger Records closure, with its music video being taken down, along with over five hundred others by a tonne of garage rock bands and artists.

King Tuff is back! I picked his song The Other as my PQ entry when I hosted a few editions back, and Psycho Star is taken from the same album. A release which was my number 1 record of 2018 (I’m crazy for it). This collection of trippy, sunshine-soaked garage psych songs is a treat, and Psycho Star is probably the catchiest little gem of them all. King Tuff never fails to put a smile onto my face.

Shannon Shaw makes her long overdue WorldVision debut. Considering how she essentially got me into the whole genre of garage rock with her band Shannon and the Clams, it’s shameful how it’s taken me this long to present her to you. Golden Frames harkens back to 60s balladry with Shannon’s humongous voice whacking the (excuse my language) barnacles out of everything, with the help of the Spector wall-of-sound technique here used. Her garage rock grit gives a vintage style a unique, raw spin. This is taken from Shannon’s 2018 release, Shannon In Nashville.

Hunx and His Punx are Cruising to WorldVision with this outrageous little song taken from the 2010 smash hit, Gay Singles. This is garage punk through and through. Only a verse followed by a chorus and we’re already into the bridge of the song, as Hunx twirls his way to a dazzling climax. All the straight boys in LA were under his spell during the recording of the music video.

Mikal Cronin comeback!!! It’s been years (quite literally). This track was made exclusively for an Adult Swim compilation album released in 2013 called Garage Swim. Mikal filmed a mini documentary for the network that showed him in the studio recording this song, playing every single instrument you hear on it (yes, Mikal can sax). I did actually share this one previously in a six song Cronin NF I did years ago, where Piano Mantra was the victor, but despite Mikal recently releasing a lovely new album, I think Better Man soars so high and deserves another chance.

So that's my garage rock NF for ya! I've wanted to do this for ages. You've got likely until the night before the submissions deadline to vote. There's a recap video if you're unsure if this is worth your time. Thanks for listening and I hope you find something to enjoy. Garage rock forever 🎸 xheart

THANK YOU FOR VOTING
:kr: :kyus: :ir: :it: :cn: :rs: :sc: :uk: :bg: :pe: :au: :pl: :es: :th: :is: :neus: :jp: :in: ::midw

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I literally spent about 5 minutes wondering why there wasn't any banners showing for me. I didn't realise it was the post literally above. :lol:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I literally spent about 5 minutes wondering why there wasn't any banners showing for me. I didn't realise it was the post literally above. :lol:

Outrageous. I can't have my hand drawn banners going unseen. I'll have to rethink my wall of unnecessary text in a separate post under the banners tradition.

Uto

Veteran
This 200% effort on a vanity project that helps absolutely no one. Glorious. We will vote here soon Rainy, love it.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I've got my first voters. Garage Rock National Final already a huge success. Thank you to South Korea and Denizland.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
We're at five voters now. Thanks a lot to everyone who's listened to the songs, helping me out a bunch. And Italy have just sent me the most scandalous votes I think I've ever received in an NF I've held. I'm shaking. Kris' ice cream shop will be shaking as well with the latest hit being added to its playlist 🍨

Current standings:

It's super close! My goal was to get to at least ten voters but looking at how NFs seem to be doing lately for people here, I think I should set the bar a little higher. Let's say... sixty voters xheart

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
:sc: has voted! Always happy to see some old friends in the lineup and this NF did not disappoint xheat Best of luck old bean! :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I have nine lovely voters now. Thank you very much
not-worthy.gif

Looks like a three horse race at this point. One of the songs tied at the top has recieved at least 5+ points from every voter so far except for one. The other has some very high points along with a scandalous super fan who gave it the mother of all pushes. The song in third on 46 points actually has the most 8s but it's being weighed down by a 1 and a 0. That song in last place though
i-do-not-want-to-see.gif
I thought would be fighting at the top.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Pink Mexico have just reuploaded the music video for Dirty & Stupid to their Youtube channel. It was one of the victims of the Burger Records closure and I was worried I'd never experience the rush of it again, so it's great to see it back up. I linked it to the banner in my NF post xheat Shannon's the only one of the six without a video now (although the Mikal one is fan made by moi).

You've got until the night of the submissions deadline for next edition if you'd like to vote and help me pick out the garage rock song I'll be sharing with WorldVision. I'm guessing that's about a week-ish.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
We're sitting at ten voters (which was my goal yay). I can tell you now that the deadline to vote is the 11th of August. You have until I go to sleep that night basically. It's crazy close at the moment between three songs and one that was a bit behind that pack has been slowly clawing its way back up to them. Two songs look sort of over but I guess anything is still possible (just might be difficult).

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
After eleven voters it's even tighter than before, with now only 3 points separating the top trio. It looks like it's well and truely game over for the song in last place unless weird stuff happens, but the other two that are trailing behind the front pack I believe have the power to catch up. Also, it's nice to see that every song now has received top points from at least one player. Just a little over three days left if you'd like to vote.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
What a lovely surprise to wake up arrive here this evening to find in my inbox a bunch of messages. We've got fifteen voters now xheat It's all ummmm so close 🤥 Two days left to vote.

91 :whistle:

Woah, the song that was in 4th place has caught up to the two in front. Just who will win? An incredibly open race. Keep voting!! xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
It's the last day to vote in my Garage Rock NF. You've got until I tuck down to go to sleep tonight.

tenor.gif

Some comments from those so far who took the plunge to vote:

A life affirming selection, full of strong, catchy melodies that just burst through the classic fuzz of the garage rock genre we've come to know and love dearly over the years spent here together.

It was the most garage rock WorldVision national final I've ever voted in.

My beautiful ears.

All hail Mikal Cronin and the joy his music brings the world.

Hey, it's me, a random fan. I'm calling of my own accord to say I love da garage rock. *gun click* You have the most self and you are the best RaintWoods ever. This was AshleyWright, your biggest damptree. Bye.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm still up and accepting pms *wink wink*. I'm on ninteen voters now. I don't think I've ever had so many before, and it's for my garage rock selection that I was always nervous to do cause I thought people wouldn't be interested! I'm so happy xheart I might (just might) accept votes in the morning as well, but I will send my entry in tonight just to be safe. I can be a nice pain in the butt and change my entry if any last minute votes make stuff move.

Top Bottom