Croak-kay
giphy.gif

deen1_537640491.jpg

Playlist missing Mars Agro - Losing You and Eartha Kitt - I Love Men

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
mM8Ymwf.png

United States shares with you this WorldVision a legendary cult icon. Eartha Kitt was a singer, actress, dancer, comedian, activist, author, and songwriter (whew that list) most remembered for her extraordinary voice that seductively cooed out the classic festive hit, Santa Baby, an unforgettable portrayal of Catwoman, and also her tireless campaigning for underprivileged youths and LGBT rights.

Eartha was born on a South Carolina cotton plantation in January 17, 1927. Despite a terribly hard start and everything going against her, this lady managed to work her way from the bottom to the very top, dazzling audiences with her singing and dancing talents. That was all not though without controversy along the way. In 1968, Eartha was invited to a luncheon at the white house with then president Lyndon B. Johnson. Her answer to a question thrown at her from his wife about the Vietnam war would see Eartha experience a government-led blacklisting. Her career on home soil cruelly brought to a stop. Eartha at this point looked to Europe and Asia, where she found a new audience.

The Eartha song I’m sharing with WorldVision, the disco banger, I Love Men, was a huge favourite of mine during my teens when I was time travelling to get all those fabulously delicious hits of yesteryear. Eartha sat right next to my other most treasured darlings, Amanda Lear and Dalida. I heard I Love Men for the first time during an episode of our seventh series of Big Brother. It was a party night where each housemate got played their favourite song. One of them called Richard had picked this. Cue a room of very puzzled looking faces as Eartha started purring about her adoration of men over glittering synths and lush strings. I immediately became a fan of course. I hope you too have a purrrrfect time with Eartha and her men.

tumblr_pfdgfztfPa1qc3ju8o3_500.gifv

Then came the night
I was alone, alone
Big empty bed all on my own, alone
All in my glory such a sad story
Moment by moment I go mad, so mad
How did it come this pretty path, you ask
Why did he leave no
I don't know, they go
I'll find another, maybe his brother
I'll move to the next without a pause, because

I love men, what can I do?
I love men, they're no good for you
In the end they always resist and pretend you didn't exist
But my friend they somehow persist and remain at the top of my list
I love men
I love men
Love them over and over and over again

Good times may come and they may go, I know
Money goes fast but it comes slow, so slow
One thing is certain, love's final curtain
Won't leave me bereft while there is one man left

I love men, it's going to last
I love men, the feeling will pass
I love men wherever I go
All these men they're haunting me so
Miles of men as far as I see
Smiles of men they're smiling at me
I love men
I love men
Love them over and over and over again

I love men, it's always the same
I love men, I'm bad at the game
Can't defend the way that I feel
It's no trend the feeling is real
Now and then I try to conceal where and when I choose to reveal
I love men
I love men
Love them over and over and over again.

58dQmKi.gif

We're all rejected people, we know what it is to be refused, we know what it is to be oppressed, depressed, and then,
accused, and I am very much cognizant of that feeling. Nothing in the world is more painful than rejection. I am a
rejected, oppressed person, and so I understand them, as best as I can, even though I am a heterosexual
- Eartha Kitt

tumblr_mmwq43k7Se1rx68xyo1_250.gif

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
To my shame, I didn't know about Eartha Kitt and her inspirational life. Her activism and courage motivates me and the song you sent is a next level of iconicness. Earth needs more human beings like Eartha. Thank you for sending her during my hosting. xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
main-qimg-c4c20211cb9778417d5b2e6c941c75ec

11th in Semi 1 with 60 Points / 14th in REJU with 23 Points
10th
in the Grand Final with
110 Points

:12: :se::neus::it::susa:
:10: :pe:
:8: :sc::sobr:
:7:
latest

:6: :bg::west::kr:
:5: :lond::seou::dk:
:4:
175px-Wendy_NH.png

:3:
latest

:2: :pl:
:1: :lv:

A top 10 finish for one of my most beloved icons brings me so much joy. I'm just sorry it took me five years being here before properly sharing Eartha with you. Thank you also for the semi support. This entry made it by just a point and wouldn't have had strong enough REJU backup to see it through. A super close call. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't *cough* Kim Petras, Rob Zombie.

As a final gift, please enjoy this. It's the official music video for I Love Men. Watch as Eartha seeks out men in their natural habitats. Be it the building site, fire station or gym changing room, Eartha is on hand to shower the men with her love and adoration. The climax of the video sees Eartha sing to hall of a thousand gentlemen, all surely eager to take her hand in marriage. It's a euphoric moment.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Can we talk about it being the first time I 12 you in the semi and you actually qualify? xcry so sorry for just giving you 6 in the final, I wish I could reward you much more than that. I love I love men and I love you. Congrats on that hot 10th xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Can we talk about it being the first time I 12 you in the semi and you actually qualify? xcry so sorry for just giving you 6 in the final, I wish I could reward you much more than that. I love I love men and I love you. Congrats on that hot 10th xheart

Yes, this is very bizarre. We all know about you and your curses at this point "will you host" etc. I thought I was doomed the moment you gave me a deadly hint after the LL but I somehow make it. Were you REJU or regular in my semi when I sent Rob Zombie and Kim Petras? Perhaps that has something to do with it?

And I'm very grateful for the 6xheart I felt guilty myself only giving your song 3 points. It's something that usually could probably quite safely rest on 6 or 7 points from me. I'm pleased you made the final with it though. Such vibes it brought.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Yes, this is very bizarre. We all know about you and your curses at this point "will you host" etc. I thought I was doomed the moment you gave me a deadly hint after the LL but I somehow make it. Were you REJU or regular in my semi when I sent Rob Zombie and Kim Petras? Perhaps that has something to do with it?

And I'm very grateful for the 6xheart I felt guilty myself only giving your song 3 points. It's something that usually could probably quite safely rest on 6 or 7 points from me. I'm pleased you made the final with it though. Such vibes it brought.
hmmm I don't remember it myself. I think Kim was REJU as well? No clue about Rob as it was so long ago (yet ROBBED). I'll try not to curse you as much but hey you know what they say third time lucky charm!!!!

no need to feel guilty, i'm glad you enjoyed it enough to score it. bless you xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
vQ8hmvL.png

The distance from the man that I am to the man I want to be
The time it takes to realize time is the distance I need

But I was born impatient
And I was born unkind
But I refuse to believe I have to be the same person I was born when I die
'Cause change is alright
Change is alright

I'm not proud of all the choices I've made for a lot of my life
Following the shadow when I damn well know that behind me is the light

But I've lied to my mother
I made people feel like hell
But I refuse to believe I have to keep being cruel 'cause I'm a coward myself

And time is impatience
No, patience takes time
Excuses will only do good if you're waiting around to die

Everyone is born with self worth
How easily it turns to doubt
It takes letting go of what we know we can't live without

But the blood in the water
Is the blood of my brother
We both learned it didn't mean a thing in the end if one was thicker than the other

And I've tried having faith
But I'll rot like a dove
'Cause I've always been scared of loving someone just a little bit more than I'm loved

Losing is fine
Everything is fine

Music is a powerful thing. Whatever you're looking for within its wide breadth, when it wraps its arms around you the goal is the same. It's there to take us somewhere within those three or so minutes, often away from our troubles. Regardless of what we feel from it, it's there to make us feel something. It's a way of communication. Often the vessel to carry what the writer would struggle to unload from his or her back otherwise, and it can be a joyous ship. Sometimes though a song can put those troubles right back in front of you in an all too relatable way. This piece called Cocaine and Abel by a dark folk singer-songwriter, Amigo The Devil, hit me real hard a few days ago. I connected with this moody number the first time I heard it some months back, thinking to myself "woah, this is brutally raw stuff", but coming back again last weekend, every word rung true to my own life experiences and feelings right at this moment in a profound way. It was frighteningly poignant. I needed to know that there was someone else who had felt the same things as I did. It was such a release. This was ultimately the only song that felt appropriate to share with you right now. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for listening.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Thank you for supporting Amigo's song 🖤 Here's a really intense live version of Cocaine and Abel (someone please buy me that microphone).

My next song is going to be my 75th entry here. That's kind of a milestone I guess. Time really does fly by too quickly. I wasn't in the mood originally but now I'm considering doing perhaps an Icons national final, similar to the one I put on when I reached fifty entries. I was thinking either I could do it as a mixture of my (or your) favourite artists that I've sent or I could do a theme. Maybe a bearded men with shoulder length hair theme, as so far this year only six of my nine entries have been performed by bearded men with shoulder length hair. So watch this space.. maybe (no promises).

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
4.jpg

1st in Semi 2 with 110 Points / 4th in REJU with 43 Points
2nd
in the Grand Final with
145 Points

I'm pleased this song reached people. Making the final was enough for me. I couldn't have expected it to win its semi and then pick up a silver medal. I'm touched and also very glad I took part this edition. Have had some crazy weeks but I'm starting to feel a bit better now. Thank you for the support, not just with the entry. Lots of love to you all.

:12: ::queb:ie::jp:
:10: :pl:
:8: :it::no::sc::en::au::susa:
:7: xexcuseme
:6: :neus::pt::nrwe:
:5: :cy:
:4: :lv::tr::hu:
:3: :svea::ir::uk:
:2: :kr::is::sobr:
:1: :bg:

Next edition will be my 75th one here with you all, and despite some hiccups, I was slowly putting together an NF that was going to feature some of my most beloved but risky icons. Ariel Pink was there, a lot of hair, cowboy hats, weirdness and even a random Amerie.... but..

9 song jan terri nf

Why did I not listen to the oracle? I've wasted all my time now and little brain power I could muster up these past couple of days on an NF that's now illegal to hold as I had made a promise... it was a crazy promise. Something I thought had no danger of becoming reality until about the year 2027. But it has happened. South Korea are actually hosting WorldVision.

c392301c825b3175776a8da2a5c5b0aa.jpg

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
86ZOMH1.png

I don't wanna lose you tonight
You're the only thing that matters
I don't wanna lose you this way
Just need your love

Just need your love

Losing you would be the hardest thing to do
My heart is open like an open book
And yours is closed
I never thought it would be like this
So how do we move on?

Just need your love

Just need your love

Remember long walks
Sandy beaches
Moonlit swims together?
We were like a merry-go-round
Going around in circles
You said we'll always be together
But you weren't telling the truth
You were telling lies

Just need your love

Just need your love

Pick up the phone
Give me a call
And talk to me
It shouldn't have been like this
I can't take it no more

Just need your love

Just need your love

Just need your love

Just need your love

Just need your love

gSpp1E0.png

The legend touches down at our prestigious music contest at long last. Jan Terri makes her WorldVision debut and she's not Losing You tonight. The down to earth Italian-American singer-songwriter shows us all what hard work and determination can deliver to you. Jan worked as a limousine driver by day but had big ambitions to share her love of music with the world. She had her heart set on becoming a pop star. Jan did all the work herself. She wrote the songs, tracked down the recording studios, music video directors, the actors that would appear in her videos, as well as devising a genius way of getting her music to a wider audience that would involve handing out VHS tapes to the customers who were lucky enough to take a seat in her limo. Just imagine the delight of getting home and watching Jan Terri on your tv singing her hits to you. Songs like the futuristic Journey To Mars, Halloween party starter, Get Down Goblin and the unforgettable country foot tapper, Baby Blues.

It's Losing You though that's my favourite Jan Terri song. This ridiculously catchy pop rock number propelled Jan to internet stardom in the mid 2000s when one of her customers dug up their old Jan Terri VHS tape and uploaded the song to youtube. Losing You is the story of a woman fiercely determined to keep ahold of her man's love. "Losing you would be the hardest thing to do. My heart is open like an open book and yours is closed" Jan laments, whilst fondly remembering moonlit swims and sandy beach walks together with her leather clad, "NO PARKING" sign disobeying biker man. There's no limits to Jan's love as she's seen boarding a plane at the end of the video, flying off to places afar in search of her mullet sporting dream boy. We can only hope she found him.

giphy.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
For WV128 I’m going to be holding a national final. It’s a Garage Rock NF and here’s why I’m doing it now. Way back in 2013 was when garage rock came in my life and it was all thanks to a band I discovered called Shannon and the Clams. They released their music on Burger Records, a little American label based in California. This record company shaped my taste a lot over the years. There were over 350 artists on its roster and not a single one of them had a contract. Burger Records was just a simple and incredibly inviting way for DIY artists and bands to release a record or cassette (yup, Burger still did those), and they even had a shop where bands would go to perform. I thought they were awesome, but being a Brit who was just watching on and enjoying the music from afar, I had no idea really what was going on within that scene.

This last week has been horrible. Accusations of abuse and sexual misconduct hit the the DIY rock scene, specifically a too heavy handful of artists on the Burger Records label (a couple of whom I looked up to greatly). Men abusing a power imbalance to get girls, mistreating them. A generally toxic atmosphere from within the scene got rightfully highlighted. It’s saddening, deeply disappointing and it has filled me with a lot of anger. Most of the people in question have already apologised and admitted their wrongdoing but it’s going to take more than that for those they’ve hurt to heal.

After days of reading such horrible, shocking stuff, Burger Records announced it would be shutting down, immediately removing over 500 music videos from its Youtube channel and erasing literally thousands of songs from digital platforms, leaving the majority of innocent artists screwed over in the process. It felt like a world I was so passionate about and identified strongly with was crumbling right in front of my eyes, but then I read a statement from my garage rock queen, Shannon Shaw that ended with the sentence:

“Us freaks, weirdos, artists, punks, magicians need to stick together and work to create new, safe environments for all.”

Garage rock isn’t dead. We just need to weed out what’s wrong, what was toxic and to make sure that going forward the scene is safe for everyone, not repeating the same mistakes that have plagued rock & roll since its inception (and the entire music industry in general too if we're being very honest).

In celebration of those freaks, weirdos, artists, punks and magicians that just wanted to find a place to fit, I’ll be holding this Garage Rock national final for the next edition of WorldVision. It’ll feature some of the good guys like King Tuff, Vivian Girls, Shannon Shaw and maybe even the legendary Mr. Cronin will make his long-overdue comeback. Prepare your ears (or ear plugs maybe). Fuzzy guitars incoming.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
giphy.gif

20th in Semi 1 with 46 Points
Did Not Qualify
Sadly Jan is packing her bags early but it was great fun sharing her with WorldVision. 46 Points isn't too shabby either. Thank you for the support. You might be seeing her again fairly soon if I go ahead this year with the Halloween themed NF I've been fancying for a while. She has a couple of ghoulish treats in her repertoire for sure.

Tomorrow I'm going to start my Garage Rock NF. It's six songs and although they've all got a rawness about them in common, each one is pretty different. There's psych rock, incredibly noisy power pop, a hauntingly harmonious girl band track, a humongous sounding doo wop inspired ballad, something that can only be described as scandalous and an emotional track with a sax ending that made me water up a bit the other night. I missed my 75th anniversary NF (thanks again Ana x) so this is kind of to make up for it. I hope you'll join me for it.

Top Bottom