Croak-kay
giphy.gif

deen1_537640491.jpg

Playlist missing Mars Agro - Losing You and Eartha Kitt - I Love Men

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: United States

So many beautiful blessings. I feel that this will be a good era for the United States of America.

There’s rumours that Jan Terri is scheduled to appear in a special Legends Only NF that could very well also feature the likes of stars such as Lucille Cataldo and Sandi Patty.

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

What a way to start my tenure here. It looks like Barbara Thomas-Reddick is praising the Rosemary and Thyme crisps above her. And what a tune If God Don't Do It, It Won't Get Done is. So joyous. It’s lifting my soul and making me have second thoughts on my debut United States entry. I actually had something very sorrowful and apocalyptic planned but my mood has suddenly switched to gospel.

Word on the street that Barbara Thomas-Reddick eats a packet of Pipers Rosemary and Thyme crisps with each of her meals every day. It's what gives her the lift to get through the day (a long with gods warming embrace and Kays Ice Cube). They'll all be watching over this thread to bring it good luck x We all await your Jesus hit sang by Bernice.

ShoeFlo

This is still here, bless

when US had still a president who deserves this title

----
Anyway, I am so happy for you Kai! You've often told me you wish to have the whole of the USA so that you can eventually stop the region hopping. I guess now WV became a little less complicated for you! :D You are the master of the biggest music industry now

BernadetteCydonia

FUcK YES RAINY'S NOT DEAD

my good old favourite long haired American dood xheart I missed your prowess (just as much as I miss everyone else here too lmao)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

FUcK YES RAINY'S NOT DEAD

my good old favourite long haired American dood xheart I missed your prowess (just as much as I miss everyone else here too lmao)

tenor.gif

This is the only place I am just about alive, mind you. How have you been? You appeared to have vanished off of the face of planet Earth. Great to see you still breathe too. Are you thinking of joining us again here? Lots of room still left.

BernadetteCydonia

This is the only place I am just about alive, mind you. How have you been? You appeared to have vanished off of the face of planet Earth. Great to see you still breathe too. Are you thinking of joining us again here? Lots of room still left.

Oof well this means you don't have any more social media D:

Well I made appearances here and there in between the "me being kicked out of WV" season and ESC 2019 season, I was pretty much alive on Twitter, Reddit and .net though. I'm fine, thank you. And of course I will rejoin, I already have a destination in mind. And a host entry to go along with it. If I only get there that is

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

giphy.gif

So...did you already decide where you will host WV 117? Alaska has beautiful landscapes

even though I'd still prefer the instrumental version but you couldnt send it anyway

How did you know I'm sending BJ Snowden feat. the spirit of Randy Newman? You've exposed me. I'll have to change entries now.

Anyway, I am so happy for you Kai! You've often told me you wish to have the whole of the USA so that you can eventually stop the region hopping. I guess now WV became a little less complicated for you! :D You are the master of the biggest music industry now

This luck happened just when I was starting to get a little fatigued as well. Now I'm really excited about the upcoming editions. It's probably going to be a bit overwhelming though with this much choice. I'm used to being grounded by a very small handful of states at a time and now I have 51xheat I'll have to start a new shortlist of potential songs and artists, otherwise my head will be spinning. I knew pretty much instantly though who and what I wanted to debut with. It needed to be something that would rank right at the top of my personal favourite songs I've entered.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: United States ☂️ WV116 ☔ Dinah Washington & Max Richter - This Bitter Earth (On The Nature Of Daylight)

C47SJTo.png

This bitter earth
Well, what a fruit it bears
This bitter earth

And if my life is like the dust
Ooh, that hides the glow of a rose
What good am I
Heaven only knows

Lord, this bitter earth
Yes, can be so cold
Today you're young
Too soon, you're old

But while a voice within me cries
I'm sure someone may answer my call
And this bitter earth
Ooh, may not, oh, be so bitter after all

This bitter earth
D-ah this bitter earth

What good is life
Mmm, that no one shares
And if my life is like the dust
Ooo, that hides the glow of rose

What good am I (what good am I)
Heaven only knows

CGjO4ls.png

For my debut playing with the whole of the United States, I found myself immediately drawn to sending this coming together of two dear musicians.

Dinah Washington was very much a part of my childhood, thanks to a jazz loving mother. If I had a penny for every time I had to listen to Dinah’s renditions of What A Difference A Day Makes and Cry Me A River, well, I could go down to the local pick n mix store a few times and wreak havoc. Dinah was a huge name in her jazz/blues field with a distinctive voice, sitting right besides other greats like Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. Mrs Washington lived a difficult life and died young, only making it to the age of thirty nine. She left though behind a huge legacy with several of her songs being inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, as well as being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame herself.

Max Richter is a German-British composer who throughout the years has worked on scores for many films, whilst being also an incredibly influential figure in the musical world of post minimalism. If you watch nature documentaries, you’ve perhaps shed a tear whilst witnessing puffins fly across gorgeous skies of blue to the achingly beautiful sounds of a suitable Max Richter composition (or maybe that was just me watching Springwatch). His portfolio of work is truly humongous and that's not even counting the eight solo albums Max has to his name. He's a true force in the modern world of classical music.

I first came across this particular piece of music I’m sharing with you today when I watched the brilliant neo-noir psychological thriller film, Shutter Island. I remember thinking to myself it was the most overwhelmingly sad and pained piece of music I’d ever heard, yet so achingly beautiful. Strangely despite all the heartache, it had a peacefulness about it. This Bitter Earth (On The Nature Of Daylight) is perhaps of no surprise to you, a mashup of two songs. The instrumental piece here is On The Nature Of Daylight, taken from Max’s widely loved 2004 release, The Blue Notebooks. Dinah provides us with the spellbinding vocals, taken from her 1960 recording of the Clyde Otis penned song, This Bitter Earth.

It's one of those songs you really prep yourself up to send, but it ends up taking years before you actually brave it, partly in this case because I never got around to playing with Southern USA. I just had to make this my first entry with the United States. Twas a no brainer starter. It's a song that aches my heart, and owns a special place deep within it. I hope you feel something from it.

BernadetteCydonia

Re: United States ☂️ WV116 ☔ Dinah Washington & Max Richter - This Bitter Earth (On The Nature Of Daylight)

that feel when you see that Rainy didn't go to WV until edition 50 despite his joindate... interesting

afterall WV without Rainy wouldn't be WV in my eyes...

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

that feel when you see that Rainy didn't go to WV until edition 50 despite his joindate... interesting

afterall WV without Rainy wouldn't be WV in my eyes...

Aw bless you. I'm one of the many of us still here today that joined about halfway through the first century of WorldVision. It's shocking and a bit sad how quickly time flies by. I've been here for four years now. Others have been here for over seven years. I didn't think my interest would keep strong for this long, and that I'd even take part in an online music game to begin with. Now it's impossible to imagine not gathering with others every month at plug to listen to each others songs together. It has done me a lot of good and has helped me get closer to people on the forum as well.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

dinahwashington.jpg

5th in the Grand Final with 127 Points
1st In Semi 2 with 98 Points / 18th in REJU with 13 Points

Fantabulous result. Thank you very much for the top 5 finish. A happy ending for something that has basically been on my mind to send since the moment I joined, but I just never got round to a Southern USA visit. I'm so glad I shared it at last. The semi victory as wellxheat I always felt there was a certain aspect of risk involved sending On The Nature Of Daylight with Dinah's jazz vocals attached. I did wonder if the piece of music as an instrumental would be more well received, but even if I was in the right place to send just the instrumental, I still would have opted for this version with Ms. Washington's vocals. The whole thing for me blends together in such a surreal way and it overwhelms me still every time I experience it. The lyrics make it even more achingly beautiful than it already was alone as a piece of music. Getting a top 10 for this and my other strings + mature vocalist cry jam by Marianne Faithfull & Angelo Badalamenti.. it means a lot.

:12: :jp::neus::west::tr:
:10: :sc::it:
:8: :pl::nwen::susa::wale:
:7: :cy:
:6: xwhistle
:5: :svea:
:4: :fi:
:3: :sobr::es:
:2: :ie:
:1: :no::cali:::berl

Thank youxrose

Strangely enough I've heard this song randomly two times during this particular edition. I was watching stuff on youtube and all of a sudden On The Nature Of Daylight started playing during this really strange, haunting advert which happened to be for the Playstation Pro, ending on a shot of Norman Reedus in Death Stranding. The second was during an episode of a series I've been watching called Castle Rock. It's a show that brings together multiple Stephen King stories in a "what if these all existed in the same world?" scenario. And oh gosh, how they used the piece of music in an episode called The Queen was just devastating, yet so beautiful, so poignant. Perhaps one of the most sad yet touching episodes of anything I've ever seen.

I'm undecided on what I'll do for next edition but I've got some very good options. What I'm nudging towards most is an electro pop song with a very retro 80s vibe thing going on. I'm also in a mood for garage rock and hip hop at the moment. I've got too much choice now though aaaaaahhhhh. How do I pick now?

Ausesken

As I told you in the LL, your funeral song was a good funeral song :lol: well deserved 5th place.

I'm undecided on what I'll do for next edition but I've got some very good options. What I'm nudging towards most is an electro pop song with a very retro 80s vibe thing going on. I'm also in a mood for garage rock and hip hop at the moment. I've got too much choice now though aaaaaahhhhh. How do I pick now?

Use the infallible technic:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

As I told you in the LL, your funeral song was a good funeral song :lol: well deserved 5th place.

Use the infallible technic:

Haha thank you Olga:lol:xheart I always turn to jelly and become this weird pessimistic person whenever I send one of my funeral jams. I guess maybe because these songs have meant a great deal to me. It feels very personal. Maybe you felt that way too when sending Libre for instance. I've stayed away from sending this kind of song for a very long time now because I just generally don't have fun the editions when I subject myself to competing with these kinds of sad chamber ballads and torch songs (even if generally they've done me extremely well results wise). This edition I was strangely quite a cool cucumber though.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe I think might be the best way of choosing my next entry. I thank you for this idea.

Top Bottom