2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cestrian18

I don't think we have any real evidence it'll be Grace, there are a couple of possibles now. I think I'd like Courtney Hadwin to be our rep, she has new music out in February, great stage presence and the snippet of the new song sounds stellar.

theditz83

Veteran
And also, artists will often release several new songs at once (or within a couple of days) on streaming platforms so this might just be another song from a latest batch and BBC have asked her to withhold the actual entry.

UK hype train v8.2 is GOOOOOOOO!! :lol:

HarryUK

Veteran
What’s so telling about Grace though is her one off London gig is the day after the London Eurovision Party…

theditz83

Veteran
What’s so telling about Grace though is her one off London gig is the day after the London Eurovision Party…
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, my name is Harry and I'll be your driver on this 7th February departure to Hypesville xup

Loving all this detective work - just hope we can have someone with a great song and who really shines bright as the perfect representative for us on home soil xpray

ChiversLookDivine

My feeling with using one-off gigs as evidence is that the timing can be used to explain away anything. Fleur East has a one-off gig in London in March around the time the UK might be revealing our entry, on a Thursday just like the Space Man reveal on Radio 1. She's worked with the BBC after all so why not consider her? Similarly, Maisie Peters has a one-off show in Liverpool at the very end of April, you could say this is the right time and location for her to be in, and considering she's worked with TaP names too on her recent singles there's no reason why she should be off the table.

I just think the Grace evidence is assuming the BBC/TaP use the exact same strategy as last year of dropping a song 3 weeks ahead of time to see how it does, when I think that Sam strategy was just the UK delegation trying to find its feet after 2021 and TaP spitballing some different strategies for restoring public confidence. Whereas now we've got a ESC 2022 jury win and a JESC 2022 televote win under our belts and I think everyone within the BBC is onboard in a year we're hosting. I also think the Grace Carter rumour is slight confirmation bias, she's a name we've all seen suggested before and it wouldn't take a lot of evidence for us to leap at her as it would Freya Ridings or London Grammar or whoever.

HarryUK

Veteran
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, my name is Harry and I'll be your driver on this 7th February departure to Hypesville xup

Loving all this detective work - just hope we can have someone with a great song and who really shines bright as the perfect representative for us on home soil xpray
You should see the Australia thread, I’m pushing for Kylie and Jason :LOL:

ESC_Peggy

I don't mean it has to be an already known name, but I also don't get why it automatically needs to be a new name either? Eurovision isn't a talent show, sure it's great if countries find new talents to promote, but equally great if they can get an established name onboard, as long as the entry is good.
People like Ken Bruce, Scott Mills and Graham Norton said in previous years that Eurovision is a great platform for a new artist but they have never had the right song or support from the BBC to do well until their process changed in 2022. It helped Sam's music career so why not repeat it for someone else in his position in 2023? It should attract credible artists from different backgrounds not be handed to established ones IMO.

Last edited:

ChiversLookDivine

Totally agreed on sending credible artists who need a platform and not just handing it to already-established artists. In comparison to the Grace Carter or Rina Sawayama rumours I see all over Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, Digital Spy, Popjustice - my favourite rumours are when it's an act I've never considered or even heard of.

I saw someone on Reddit fall down a rabbit hole the other week and they suggested some singer I'd never ever heard of called Ella... something, the evidence seemed flimsy but I liked that it wasn't the same old Ellie, Grace, Freya name. I keep seeing different singers and bands suggested out of the hope we might send a different genre the UK are great at like electronic or rock, I saw Rina Sawayama's writing partner mentioned too.

And then there's this band, The Flints:
https://twitter.com/HeIsTheCuz/status/1622317195547099136

-working exclusively with the Space Man producer from TaP on a project, he has the band in his Instagram bio
-complete unknown of a band but with a lot of TaP and BBC connections
-followed recently by the Greece 2023 entry
-fits the criteria of who TaP said they want for Eurovision

I'm not sure their music is what the UK would ever send (even if I prefer it to that Grace Carter snippet), but I guess I just find these rumours way more compelling than another thread about Rina because I really do think the UK is going to send someone we've never heard of with an uptempo song - Liverpool keep talking about throwing a party and I think our song will reflect the feeling. Someone new, maybe someone with a link to Liverpool or Ukraine, and a song with that party feel.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
People like Ken Bruce, Scott Mills and Graham Norton said in previous years that Eurovision is a great platform for a new artist but they have never had the right song or support from the BBC to do well until their process changed in 2022. It helped Sam's music career so why not repeat it for someone else in his position in 2023? It should attract credible artists from different backgrounds not be handed to established ones IMO.
Maybe I am wrong here, but wasn't it the same formula used in 2021 as well and that one was a big flop?

All I'm saying is that the most important is a good entry and a good stage package to go along with it, don't get the obsession over that it has to be a new name though, but of course if you find a good up-and-coming name with a good song and who can sell it on stage that's great.

DanielLuis

Maybe I am wrong here, but wasn't it the same formula used in 2021 as well and that one was a big flop?

All I'm saying is that the most important is a good entry and a good stage package to go along with it, don't get the obsession over that it has to be a new name though, but of course if you find a good up-and-coming name with a good song and who can sell it on stage that's great.
Nope. In 2021 TaP wasn't behind the selection.

ESC_Peggy

Sort of but it wasn't with TaP Music. James had his record label BMG but they were not that invested in ESC and their budget was small (approx. £25000).

A source said Sam's record label paid 4 - 8x of the usual effort and they were enthusiastic about him doing it.

Rocket man

If it is between The Flints or Grace Carter, I'm hoping The Flints get selected. Their music is far more interesting.

Rocket man

If they pick this to represent the UK, I would be ecstatic. I can see going down so well with the home crowd in Liverpool.

Rocket man

The Flints remind me of Tears for Fears crossed with The Bee Gees. I really hope it is actually them representing the UK, they deserve more attention and recognition.

Top Bottom