2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisiam

It is kinda amazing that, despite the UK having its best result in years, and is now officially hosting the contest it is still so quiet in here! I suppose it will be interesting to see how coverage of the contest unfolds over the coming months. As I doubt that the BBC will just limit their coverage of it to the weeks leading up to the contest. Not sure they'd go so far as a national finals but I could easily see them doing some kind of 'Celebration Event' or possibly coverage of some of the other National Finals. Or at the very least get Sam to do the New Year's countdown show thing they do this year.

Ianp16

Do we think that UK hosting will mean that the semi finals will be broadcast on the main channels for once? That will be interesting to see how the general public gets on board with the semis.

Mainshow

Veteran
Do we think that UK hosting will mean that the semi finals will be broadcast on the main channels for once? That will be interesting to see how the general public gets on board with the semis.

If I remember it correctly, the semi finals had been broadcast on the main channels when it was held in Germany back in 2011 (it was split on different channels, though). I was still at schook back then and I can remember how my class mates even talked about Portugal´s performance (since the country didn´t advance to the final, it´s 100% sure that they´ve watched the semis).

If BBC/EBU is smart, they let Ireland and the UK participate/vote in different semis. Maybe they can also split Poland and Lithuania to make sure that the biggest "EBU-related/ESC diaspora" communites are split into different semis to "maximise" the interest, exposure, popularity of both semis (I mean, the EBU kinda did the same thing back in 2013 with Norway/Denmark).

DanielLuis

I would say it's very likely that they'll broadcast them both on the main channels live, that's the usual when host countries that don't have that tradition get to host it.

HarryUK

May is literally gonna be Eurovision takeover. They're already talking about moving Britain's Got Talent, not even just postponing that Saturday episode to Sunday.

Imo the semi finals should be on BBC One and SHOULD STAY THERE

Chrisiam

I'm gonna be honest, I think the Beeb are gonna milk their hosting of the contest for all its worth. So it wouldn't surprise me if not only did they broadcast the semis on BBC One but they did additional themed content in the run up to it. And I mean more than just doing Eurovision themed versions of some of their shows. It wouldn't surprise me if they did a few documentaries about the contest as well as Ukraine and it's history and the like which it can tangentially relate to it's Eurovision season.

A-lister

Veteran
Highly unlikely, but with the original Sugababes properly back together, maybe a comeback single on Eurovision?

But as long as Eurovision will remain the bad rep it has in the UK, I doubt they'll risk their comeback on this a la Blue when they currently have good word-of-mouth and seek "cred" status.

Mainshow

Veteran
Highly unlikely, but with the original Sugababes properly back together, maybe a comeback single on Eurovision?

But as long as Eurovision will remain the bad rep it has in the UK, I doubt they'll risk their comeback on this a la Blue when they currently have good word-of-mouth and seek "cred" status.

Their comeback single has already flopped miserably.
Seriously, they should be grateful as hell if BBC even wants to consider them to perform at Eurovision.

Chrisiam

With all due respect to them I highly doubt that the act for 2023 is going to be an 'established act'. They and TaP will likely follow a similar method to this year and search social media and find bands and artists they feel have the best chance in making an impact. Goodness, they might even consider some of the acts that applied to do it this year but got turned down.

HarryUK

I'm gonna be honest, I think the Beeb are gonna milk their hosting of the contest for all its worth. So it wouldn't surprise me if not only did they broadcast the semis on BBC One but they did additional themed content in the run up to it. And I mean more than just doing Eurovision themed versions of some of their shows. It wouldn't surprise me if they did a few documentaries about the contest as well as Ukraine and it's history and the like which it can tangentially relate to it's Eurovision season.
I'm actually in favour of ramming it down the UK's throats to be honest. Eurovision is the most watched entertainment programme on UK TV so it's only fitting if we're hosting!!

A-lister

Veteran
Their comeback single has already flopped miserably.
Seriously, they should be grateful as hell if BBC even wants to consider them to perform at Eurovision.

If you refer to Flatline that they released almost 10 years ago under the name MKS, I wouldn't really refer that era as a proper "comeback".

Also, I think they aim more for cred than commercial success, sorta like All Saints have been doing, and unfortunately Eurovision isn't considered credible in the UK.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

This is what i expect. If you remember when Eurovision was cancelled and everyone shaded the BBC because they said they were making their own show, but it turned out they were doing that alongside the Dutch one as well as various other Eurovision specials. iirc our celebration show was far better than the Dutch one everyone saw anyway. The BBC on all platforms will ram it down the throats of everyone and so they should.

Mainshow

Veteran
If you refer to Flatline that they released almost 10 years ago under the name MKS, I wouldn't really refer that era as a proper "comeback".

Also, I think they aim more for cred than commercial success, sorta like All Saints have been doing, and unfortunately Eurovision isn't considered credible in the UK.
Musically speaking, "Flatline" clearly was and is their proper comeback single. The song got re-released under the "Sugababes" name alongside their tour announcement/festival gigs.
I don´t want to discredit them by any means but they are more of a "nostalgia/legacy" act nowadays and honestly, Shiobhan hasn´t been part of the group when they got all their hits.
If they do Eurovision, they clearly need an instant banger but their last "hit" was released 13-14 years ago.

A-lister

Veteran
Musically speaking, "Flatline" clearly was and is their proper comeback single. The song got re-released under the "Sugababes" name alongside their tour announcement/festival gigs.
I don´t want to discredit them by any means but they are more of a "nostalgia/legacy" act nowadays and honestly, Shiobhan hasn´t been part of the group when they got all their hits.
If they do Eurovision, they clearly need an instant banger but their last "hit" was released 13-14 years ago.

Nah, I have to agree to disagree about Flatline, only reason they pushed it up on Spotify was to show that they won back the Sugababes brand and thus can put it on the material they released as MKS, which again was just a one-off single that never got a proper push anyways. If anything that single seems like a buzz single for a project (album) that never saw the light of day.

As for "nostalgia/legacy" act, it's a bit too early to tell, as I think they look at All Saints as an inspiration here for a comeback and while All Saints isn't doing much commercially speaking, both their last two albums got good reviews/word-of-mouth and they're considered a cred act in their own right.

I am not sure if Sugababes with the original lineup is out to have "bops" anyways, but I agree that if they were to do Eurovision (which again I doubt they would since they want that "cred" status), then they need something that stands out but I could see them rather aiming for a jury bait than public bait then since they're all very good singers and harmonisers and I think the juries could go for it (but that's again only in a hypothetical scenario that they would enter, which again doubt would happen).

Chrisiam

Wasn't London Grammar one of the acts rumoured to be doing it this year? I could have sworn I saw one of the 'Eurovision Insider' twitter pages saying it was them ad nauseum.

Top Bottom