13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Wasn't London Grammar one of the acts rumoured to be doing it this year? I could have sworn I saw one of the 'Eurovision Insider' twitter pages saying it was them ad nauseum.

it was just because they joined tap music around the time of the announcement of the british artist.

i think they're too big to go to esc for the uk i think:/

but UK really needs some sort of band to represent them.

ESCConor

it was just because they joined tap music around the time of the announcement of the british artist.

i think they're too big to go to esc for the uk i think:/

but UK really needs some sort of band to represent them.

I could see a famous name doing Eurovision this year for the UK.

I think Sam Ryder has completely changed the perception of Eurovision in the UK and that might temp a few famous names to put their hat in the ring, plus the fact we are hosting might give them extra incentive to select a famous name.

A-lister

Veteran
London Gra
I could see a famous name doing Eurovision this year for the UK.

I think Sam Ryder has completely changed the perception of Eurovision in the UK and that might temp a few famous names to put their hat in the ring, plus the fact we are hosting might give them extra incentive to select a famous name.

London Grammar would be great, but with all due respect isn't "completely changed the perception of Eurovision" a bit of an overstatement though?

As much as I want that to be true, from my understanding most credible UK acts would still not touch Eurovision. Famous names past their prime and with low cred status like Steps and Cheryl might be more realistic.

But, I hope I'm wrong and again London Grammar would be great, although I haven't really been properly convinced by what I heard past their debut album but I do love the singer's vocals and the general mood.

Chrisiam

Personally I wouldn't say the "perception has changed" just yet. At least not to the point the general public are suddenly in love the contest and established acts are chomping at the bit to do it. There does feel like there is less of a hostility to it now verses this time last year.

The changing of perception is going to take a while to fully develop. Might take another few years. But hosting it will help show people it isn't as bad as they think it is. And continuing to get credible performers and songs will do even more.

HarryUK

Personally I wouldn't say the "perception has changed" just yet. At least not to the point the general public are suddenly in love the contest and established acts are chomping at the bit to do it. There does feel like there is less of a hostility to it now verses this time last year.

The changing of perception is going to take a while to fully develop. Might take another few years. But hosting it will help show people it isn't as bad as they think it is. And continuing to get credible performers and songs will do even more.
It's certainly made some people who complain iT's aLl PoLiTiCs every year without fail all of a sudden eurovision fans lol

ESC_Peggy

London Gra

London Grammar would be great, but with all due respect isn't "completely changed the perception of Eurovision" a bit of an overstatement though?

As much as I want that to be true, from my understanding most credible UK acts would still not touch Eurovision. Famous names past their prime and with low cred status like Steps and Cheryl might be more realistic.

But, I hope I'm wrong and again London Grammar would be great, although I haven't really been properly convinced by what I heard past their debut album but I do love the singer's vocals and the general mood.
Eh? Nobody wants Steps or Cheryl to represent the UK and the former aren’t interested. They mimed throughout their performance last week to promote their new album.

You don’t need a famous name to make them credible for Eurovision. Sam wasn’t hugely famous to casuals who didn’t use TikTok. There are loads of emerging artists and bands with their own music style and flair at festivals that have their own fanbases but aren’t widely known. That’s the fresh talent.

If the BBC use TaP again they said last time they ideally wanted to give an emerging artist a platform for their career. They succeeded and that’s what will interest more record labels now.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
I can´t at all the lies being spread on this page alone.

credible UK acts would still not touch Eurovision.
Lie #1

BBC just declined Years & Years/Olly to represent the UK this year because they believed in Sam. Years & Years is clearly still successful and not "past their prime".
Also, we had acts like Hurts, Ed Sheeran, Emelie Sandé and more talking positive about the contest as well as stating their interest or wish to represent Eurovision.
Famous names past their prime and with low cred status like Steps
Lie #2

Steps just got another #1 album this week - I wouldn´t call them "past their prime" - even though I personally heavily dislike their music.

Eh? Nobody wants Cheryl to represent the UK
Lie #3

Cheryl is everything! - Make Newcastle host Eurovision and Cheryl reprsent the UK!
She´s an excellent performer and got 5 #1 singles in the UK as a solo artist (10 if you include collabs and Girls Aloud singles). Her albums have been quite hit or miss but she can clearly come up with another "Call My Name" or "Fight For This Love" which would slay in Eurovision.

ESC_Peggy

I can´t at all the lies being spread on this page alone.

Lie #1

BBC just declined Years & Years/Olly to represent the UK this year because they believed in Sam. Years & Years is clearly still successful and not "past their prime".
Also, we had acts like Hurts, Ed Sheeran, Emelie Sandé and more talking positive about the contest as well as stating their interest or wish to represent Eurovision.

Lie #2

Steps just got another #1 album this week - I wouldn´t call them "past their prime" - even though I personally heavily dislike their music.

Lie #3

Cheryl is everything! - Make Newcastle host Eurovision and Cheryl reprsent the UK!
She´s an excellent performer and got 5 #1 singles in the UK as a solo artist (10 if you include collabs and Girls Aloud singles). Her albums have been quite hit or miss but she can clearly come up with another "Call My Name" or "Fight For This Love" which would slay in Eurovision.
Last time Cheryl was on The X Factor she mimed.

Steps mimed on This Morning last week and it was cringeworthy. I’d love to know if children these days like their music as it still sounds so 2000s.

Neither are good for Eurovision 2023 doesn’t anyone have any imagination beyond the usual names?

Ed Sheeran would never do Eurovision. I bet he just didn’t expect the UK to come 2nd shortly after he said “err well yeah when England are liked again but err I don’t think that’s gonna happen”

Mainshow

Veteran
s mimed on This Morning and it was cringeworthy. I’d love to know if children like their music as it still sounds so 2000s.

Neither are good for Eurovision 2023 does nobody have an

Many acts mime at irrelevant TV talent shows.

Full concert of Cheryl´s

She slayed Manchester Pride:

Now imagine this energy at Eurovision: Some effects/props and pre-recorded backing vocals.

ESC_Peggy

Many acts mime at irrelevant TV talent shows.

Full concert of Cheryl´s

She slayed Manchester Pride:

Now imagine this energy at Eurovision: Some effects/props and pre-recorded backing vocals.
Steps used playback at the Lottery Jubilee party too when artists like Allie Sherlock (love) and Callum Scott didn’t.

Personally I would rather Cheryl didn’t and she’s already had a great music career. We don’t need another Blue/Bonnie/Engelbert era.

The BBC have “BBC introducing” even at festivals this year and are now required to play new music from emerging artists on Radio 1 and Radio 2 (Scott Mills played Sam’s music in 2021/2022) so logically I would expect them to go down this route with Eurovision. It’s harder than ever to break into the music industry and get signed to a major record label so it’s a great opportunity!

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
I agree with you - "BBC introducing" would be a great pool to choose from.

I´m just saying that Cheryl doing Eurovision wouldn´t be a bad idea, either - and even if she hasn´t become a huge global superstar, people - at least here in Central Europe - know "Fight For This Love". It still gets played on radio stations on a weekly basis and unlike other acts, she´s a great entertainer/performer who actually comes alive on stage.

Eurovision has always been a great celebration of music in general and honestly, I´d prefer it to still be a platform for newcomers and well-established acts alike.

I don´t even know if Cheryl still got a record deal - She was ready to release an album but after her first two singles after giving birth didn´t match the great peaks of her previous lead singles, she stopped releasing new music - which is a shame.
Honestly, it has become even more difficult to be successful if you aren´t a well-known rapper/dj/A-lister due to payola and streaming platforms.

Re-launching her career via Eurovision (if she wishes to do so) would be an excellent idea for her, tbh (only if she got a banger on her hands, though).

ESCConor

I think TaP and the BBC will stick to the approach from this year, choose someone who has a strong presence on social media ie: emerging artist, then promote them and their song across Europe in the months leading up to the contest, perhaps performing their song on Prime Time tv in Europe and on Radio too.

You can see it worked incredibly well this year, I think sticking to that approach is what will work for the UK going forward.

ESC_Peggy

I agree with you - "BBC introducing" would be a great pool to choose from.

I´m just saying that Cheryl doing Eurovision wouldn´t be a bad idea, either - and even if she hasn´t become a huge global superstar, people - at least here in Central Europe - know "Fight For This Love". It still gets played on radio stations on a weekly basis and unlike other acts, she´s a great entertainer/performer who actually comes alive on stage.

Eurovision has always been a great celebration of music in general and honestly, I´d prefer it to still be a platform for newcomers and well-established acts alike.

I don´t even know if Cheryl still got a record deal - She was ready to release an album but after her first two singles after giving birth didn´t match the great peaks of her previous lead singles, she stopped releasing new music - which is a shame.
Honestly, it has become even more difficult to be successful if you aren´t a well-known rapper/dj/A-lister due to payola and streaming platforms.

Re-launching her career via Eurovision (if she wishes to do so) would be an excellent idea for her, tbh (only if she got a banger on her hands, though).
Then she can do what other celebrities do to re-launch their career and go on Strictly Come Dancing or I’m a Celebrity.

Personally I think it should be a platform for a new artist who hasn’t had mainstream success. I’m glad TaP music chose Sam over others with #1 albums or whatever.

Mainshow

Veteran
I don´t like the tone of her voice at all but Mabel already got 2-3 minor hits Europe - without becoming a well-known or popular act - I guess that the general public can´t even remember her name but they will probably remember the 2-3 songs.
She´s clearly got potential to become a bigger act and ESC would be a stepping stone for her to get her name "out there" again.

ESC_Peggy

I personally can see some artists who are well known in the UK, but perhaps who have strong potential to break into the European market being chosen.

I could see Mabel doing it, or possibly Tom Grennan, both well known in the UK but not so much in Europe.
I like Tom Grennan he seems like such a sweetie and is a great songwriter.

Mainshow

Veteran
Then she can do what other celebrities do to re-launch their career and go on Strictly Come Dancing or I’m a Celebrity.

Personally I think it should be a platform for a new artist who hasn’t had mainstream success. I’m glad TaP music chose Sam over others with #1 albums or whatever.

If the new artists have already developed their own style, vision and artistry, I´m all in - I just don´t want Eurovision to turn into an international version of "The Voice".

I also like to follow some artists´s follow-up singles/albums/careers after their Eurovision entries and I really hate it when I find out that there music after Eurovision turns out to be completely different to their entries or if they don´t make music at all.

RomanFromRussia

I don't think UK needs well-known act at ESC tbh. The perfect option is Loic Nottet scenario. The no-name act with a powerful personality and talent to produce personal content instead of "seems to be safe", but generic one.
Space man was my top-10, but still UK can get more interesting though.

ESC_Peggy

If the new artists have already developed their own style, vision and artistry, I´m all in - I just don´t want Eurovision to turn into an international version of "The Voice".

I also like to follow some artists´s follow-up singles/albums/careers after their Eurovision entries and I really hate it when I find out that there music after Eurovision turns out to be completely different to their entries or if they don´t make music at all.

That’s why festivals are great as you might not have heard of an artist before but you might randomly watch their set and they become someone you follow. A lot of them can sing, engage an audience and wouldn’t need the BBC to write them a song (eurgh). One of my favourites this year has been Self-Esteem.

Lee Smithurst from the BBC Eurovision team went to see Hyyts in concert last month. They said they were almost chosen last year but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence haha.

Mainshow

Veteran
As long as they remember to turn on her playback haha
When she noticed that it wasn´t turned on, she performed very well (singing+dancing), though and that´s why I believe that she would be a fit for Eurovision since she knows how to perform under pressure.

Most German contestants would have probably been crying on stage :D

Top Bottom