Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
BBC Radio 5 live??? might as well send it out via smoke signals if they're using radio 5 live. :lol:

Chrisiam

Obviously they are announcing it on 5 Live because our entry in 2022 will be a spoke word entry. Not a rapper or anything like that. Someone just talking over music. As there are no artists left who will do it so we have to have Fred from accounts who can't sing but by gum he loves the show and wants to do his bit!

Chrisiam

Yeah I agree. They would never announce an act this early. They might announce a selection show before Christmas if they are feeling especially bold but I get the feeling it will just open song submissions. Which for a few fleeting moments will make us feel that we are gonna get a great act coming through, a singer song writer, or a band or something to really get excited about, only for us to end up with a national finals with songs that sound the same, and either end up with someone out of Drag Race/Someone who failed to get on Drag Race or some doughy guy in their early to mid-twenties with Bigger Than Us III.

ESCConor

Apparently Newsbeat is reporting on it as well.

Maybe it might be an artist announcement?

Chrisiam

When even the official announcement says it's merely 'decent' this does not instill me with confidence. Which is the normal state of affairs for the UK.
To be fair the post that says its gonna be 'decent' isn't the official announcement, that is just someone who works on the show in question saying it. The official announcement is just enigmatically saying there is info coming "soon". I mean, hell, if there is news tomorrow I don't see why they can't just say its coming tomorrow. You can't build hype around something that could get revealed at a none descript time.

Like, 'soon' is a relative term. 'Soon' could mean any time in the next ten seconds or ten seconds before the finals.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Well he seems to be saying many of the right sorts of things, it's not political, focus should be on finding a really special song that represents Britain in the best way, the British public need to actually get behind it. However i'll remain rightfully skeptical about anything said until I hear the entry. It's nothing super new that we haven't heard before.

Last edited:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
These announcements of partnerships of BBC with these labels don't bring anything new or concrete to the table. If it's an internal choice, what difference does it make? None, we still have to wait until the entry is released, which is the same thing as for every internal choice.

theditz83

Veteran
The mention of Dua Lipa and Ellie Goulding will send some into a frenzy, but the team behind those artists won't always produce hit after hit - sure, the right song is important but it means nothing without artists that the public will get behind. Promotion and PR is key - flirt with Europe's media like never before and maybe we can avoid a double 0 again.

I stand in the cautiously skeptical corner with Ashley right now ;)

Ianp16

I feel positive about this!

Let's face it, the team that are responsible for turning around the UK's ESC fortunes have A LOT to get right and to contend with. And even then, nothing is guaranteed with eurovision. If they can get us a top 5 then that will be a massive, massive achievement.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I feel positive about this!

Let's face it, the team that are responsible for turning around the UK's ESC fortunes have A LOT to get right and to contend with. And even then, nothing is guaranteed with eurovision. If they can get us a top 5 then that will be a massive, massive achievement.

It's easy to feel excited and positive for it, I want to and hope that something super exceptional is coming our way for 2022. I hate that the UK and BBC get constantly shit on every year like it's trendy with fans to hate but we've been burned so many times in the past by the BBC that anything positive is looked at with suspicion.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Also someone on .net pointed out that Chelcee Grimes who was involved in our coverage last year, has written songs for Roxen and Rybak is herself part of TaP. So could seem like a possible candidate.

Chrisiam

I dunno, I am sceptical about it. We got the same kind of song and dance when BMG where brought into this and we know what came next. And despite that being a fine starting point that soon bit the dust after one act. Hell, by the looks of things they wouldn't have even done Eurovision this year hadn't Newman wanted to do it.

I mean I'd LOVE to be wrong here and that they put forwards something that really will blow me away but for now I am tempering my expectations.

Huwchie

I’m feeling pretty optimistic . I feel really encouraged that there’s someone who is currently a relevant music manager who is responsible for the act /song, not just “BMG” or god forbid, Pete Waterman like we had in 2010.

Its obviously really early days but I’ll take this over some of the “home bargains” equivalent of songs we had to choose from previous bbc you decide one night selection shows.

Top Bottom