Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

StephenMuckle

Seeing the list of rumours and speculations so far this year makes me prefer the option of withdrawing. :sneaky:
While most people think the UK will never withdraw, the recent appointment of Nadine Dorries as culture secretary and John Whittingdale wanting to push through new laws requiring UK broadcasters to only show "distinctly British" content is quite worrying fir the future (in could also mean no more AEW or Walking Dead on out screens if they get their way)

Chrisiam

Without going into politics in a thread that isn't about it I really wouldn't worry about those new laws. Its political fluff designed to sound good to their base but really doesn't mean anything in practise and if it does it means showing a certain percentage of content which is British made/funded/and possibly staring or written by British talent. Or alternatively means content that promotes British values but again would likely be as a percentage.

The only way this would at all impact Eurovision would be, as we saw in the fall out of this years contest, greater political pressure on the BBC to not fool about with the contest any more and to put forwards acts that actually represent the British music scene as it currently stands and not artists and music styles that are dated in some way or were never relevant to begin with.

They wouldn't be doing it out of the goodness of their heart or a secret love of the contest. Its about them keeping the BBC on a short leash and avoiding any potential political embarrassments that arise from a bad result for the UK at the contest.

Even with all this said, the UK isn't going to pull out. Because there will be another broadcaster more than willing to take up the role of doing it that will be under less scrutiny than the BBC is thus they'd get wiggle room around any laws that may or may not be in place.

theditz83

Veteran
While most people think the UK will never withdraw, the recent appointment of Nadine Dorries as culture secretary and John Whittingdale wanting to push through new laws requiring UK broadcasters to only show "distinctly British" content is quite worrying fir the future (in could also mean no more AEW or Walking Dead on out screens if they get their way)
Yeah that's never happening - there will always be plenty of private satellite/streaming channels that will pick up the international shows, although granted it might have somewhat of an impact on the state-run (i.e.) BBC channels' shows.

StephenMuckle

There is talk of the Vengaboys wanting to represent the UK. I mean, if the UK wanted someone from another country to represent them, a much better choice would be Tenille Townes, who is a Canadian country singer. More appropriate given Canada's British connection.

ESCConor

I really want London Grammar to represent us, some of their recent songs have been fantastic, their song "Lose your head" was recently used in the closing montage for the Champions League Final on BT Sport.

To get more popular starts involved, need to give artists full control over the staging etc, make it personal to them and let them decide it, It shouldnt be the BBC.

ESCConor

Without going into politics in a thread that isn't about it I really wouldn't worry about those new laws. Its political fluff designed to sound good to their base but really doesn't mean anything in practise and if it does it means showing a certain percentage of content which is British made/funded/and possibly staring or written by British talent. Or alternatively means content that promotes British values but again would likely be as a percentage.

The only way this would at all impact Eurovision would be, as we saw in the fall out of this years contest, greater political pressure on the BBC to not fool about with the contest any more and to put forwards acts that actually represent the British music scene as it currently stands and not artists and music styles that are dated in some way or were never relevant to begin with.

They wouldn't be doing it out of the goodness of their heart or a secret love of the contest. Its about them keeping the BBC on a short leash and avoiding any potential political embarrassments that arise from a bad result for the UK at the contest.

Even with all this said, the UK isn't going to pull out. Because there will be another broadcaster more than willing to take up the role of doing it that will be under less scrutiny than the BBC is thus they'd get wiggle room around any laws that may or may not be in place.

Agreed, there is always a way around it.

Even if the BBC did decide to withdraw, another broadcaster would quickly pick it up, ie: ITV or Channel 4.

Chrisiam

So I just looked up, and this might be someone along the lines misinterpreting something, but it appears that Little Boots isn't just writing a song for Eurovision she is recording one too (most likely the same one). So if that is the case we know that she might well be in the running for the UK in 2022.

Granted we won't know for certain either way till closer to the contest, but in the mean time I can't wait to spend January thru February worried it will be an act I don't like only to get one I haven't heard of. Or have heard of and am surprised they are still alive.

ESCConor

What we do know is that the deadline to confirm participation passed on the 16th September and the deadline to confirm non-participation without facing a financial penalty passes on the 11th October.

My presumption is that we will get formal confirmation of whats going on from the BBC in the not too distant future.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Afaik neither the BBC or any ESC news site reported the UK as a confirmed particpant until the final offical list was presented, but as it turned out the BBC had already been making ESC moves since August when they officially invited James back

NeonProject

I don't know how anyone can be bothered to speculate anymore. It's just bleak.
My speculation comes from anger... I totally get the bleak outlook and it just makes me annoyed. I'm desperate for the BBC to either fix up or hand this over now. It just isn't going to happen though, unfortunately.

Why on Earth is the BBC STILL being silent. For goodness sake, they're just proving that they haven't learned anything! How hard can it be to just say "Excited for Eurovision 2022 hunz, still finalising details xoxo" on Twitter. It's beggar's belief. Just do something, anything to stop us having to be such Negative Nancies.

hungo

I dont think it is the BBCs fault. There is just no renowned british artists who want to participate at Eurovision. they dont need that show.

NeonProject

I dont think it is the BBCs fault. There is just no renowned british artists who want to participate at Eurovision. they dont need that show.
I'll counter that with; why on Earth would any renowned artist go for it when the Broadcaster itself jeers at the contest and encourages the opinion that it's a tacky show?

Eurovision, year after year, reminds us you don't have to be a billboard wonder to grab the attention of voters and juries alike.

I'm sorry, but this is just another one of the long list of excuses people make for the BBC. Enough of it now, we SHOULD be holding them accountable for their own failures. Stop letting them shirk the occasion.

rasmuslights

Veteran

Paloma Faith and Hurts disagree. As said - it's the BBC's fault that a lot of them don't want to do it.

Lelahel

She could be win. She could be good choice.

bstream

she says: “I was supposed to be [a Eurovision contestant] with the Frock Destroyers”.

She continues: “I’ll tell you a little secret. So, James… Martin? Is that his name? James something-whatever-his-f***ing-name-was dropped out for three months. And in those three months, the Frock Destroyers had meetings with Eurovision. We were supposed to be on it in 2021!”.
However, James had publicly confirmed his wish to go to Rotterdam as early as May 2020, less than two months after the 2020 contest was called off.
This just screams “fake” to me, but if this is true, this is an indication of where of the BBC’s head is at.

Anyway, send Foxes.

Ajeje Brazorf

This just screams “fake” to me, but if this is true, this is an indication of where of the BBC’s head is at.

Anyway, send Foxes.

With such an attitude towards other partecipants, they would have finished dead last aswell. They remember me of a Silvia Night 2.0.

Top Bottom