Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Have to laugh at the comment saying we'd finish last if we entered Paul McCartney backed by the Spice Girls. Of course we would, that sounds fucking horrific.

I don't think Eurovision is the biggest worry for a lot of these bosses as they seem out of touch with what is actually popular right now ☕🐸

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Have to laugh at the comment saying we'd finish last if we entered Paul McCartney backed by the Spice Girls. Of course we would, that sounds fucking horrific.

I don't think Eurovision is the biggest worry for a lot of these bosses as they seem out of touch with what is actually popular right now ☕🐸

Dragging up has beens who aren't relevant to modern music at all does feel like a totally believable thing for the BBC to do though.

Daily Fail at it's best.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

Lance Esgard

Reminds me of how at least one recording studios had set up an unlinked part of the mixing console so that when visiting executives messed around with the audio they could play around and leave satisfied without actually tweaking a thing (and totally wasting time and money because they don't actually know anything about professional audio mixing).

Lance Esgard

In other, more important news, Sarah Harding from Girls Aloud died at 39 because of breast cancer :(

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58456170?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
In light of this tragically young death :(, I would like to share something more positive: certain kinds of childhood cancer have become far more survivable if you are in a more developed nation. In America, for example, back in 1975 meant you had a 36.5% chance of living for 5 years or more if as a child you got leukaemia, the most common type of childhood cancer. Now it is 83.6%.

It's one of the lesser known success stories of medicine.

ESCConor

The BBC has been very, very quiet about Eurovision, Just today RTE announced its participation.

I know its very early days, but the fact that the BBC haven't even done anything yet, with reports that BMG are no longer involved, and also the HoD leaving the role, it does sound like the BBC are withdrawing.

But of course, its probably more likely they are having a major restructuring of the delegation, I wouldn't be shocked if we had introducing involved again and perhaps we have a national final on a Saturday night

Chrisiam

From what I have seen the BBC seems to leave confirming their participation till the last possible minuet, or at least the they wait till the last minuet to make that decision public.

I imagine that the past few months have been spent with the BBC trying to figure out what the hell to do now. Because this wasn't just another bad result, this was another 0 result. After they put in far more effort into the contest in 2020/21 than they have in years. That will have been a hell of a shock to the system and there isn't a clear path forwards for them.

I don't think they they will have pulled out. But I imagine that they have been trying to figure out what to do next.

rasmuslights

Veteran
From what I have seen the BBC seems to leave confirming their participation till the last possible minuet, or at least the they wait till the last minuet to make that decision public.

I imagine that the past few months have been spent with the BBC trying to figure out what the hell to do now. Because this wasn't just another bad result, this was another 0 result. After they put in far more effort into the contest in 2020/21 than they have in years. That will have been a hell of a shock to the system and there isn't a clear path forwards for them.

I don't think they they will have pulled out. But I imagine that they have been trying to figure out what to do next.

But that's what's wrong... it shouldn't and it also isn't hard for them to do well. You don't need to be smart to know what's wrong when all of the fans are saying the same things all over again but no one is listening. You don't need 4 months to realize what is wrong.

You have artists like Paloma Faith and Hurts that would be willing to do Eurovision and would clearly pull off at least a top 10 result if not a win and what is BBC doing - asking themselves whether they want to organize another nf full of x-factor competitors (that didn't even make the final in 2014) performing songs that were rejected by SVT, selecting another bland performer (that's not even a performer but a song-writer) that kinda is established but once again as a song-writer and not as performer or god-forbid selecting a drag queen act that literally no one is asking for except for a few people who think eurovision is a joke...

Selecting a good song for eurovision in a country such as the UK is not rocket science and BBC is acting like it is ...
enough is enough.

Chrisiam

Here is the issue though, its all well and good for an artist to say that they would do the contest as its a purely hypothetically scenario. Because if there ever was any intent by them to do it they'd be more vocal about doing it. Rather than, as is often the case, some random interview where the topic comes up and they say "Sure, I'd like to do it some day" because that isn't a statement of intent, that is just them being diplomatic.

And even if they themselves or any other credible and/or big name act turned around and said "Put me in! I'm ready!" their label might have other plans, especially after what happened with Newman and BMG.

Now to be fair, at this point we can only speculate what they are doing right now. For all we know they could have a big name act, or someone decent, or even just memorable lined up to do it next year and the finer points of contracts, video filming, and all that stuff is being worked through now. Right now we don't know.

I do believe that the BBC needs to be braver and more ambitious when it comes to what acts it puts through, but they can only put forwards what they have in front of them. And part of that comes from being open minded with the generas and acts they look for. And the other part comes from having people who are looking at this from a position of musicality rather than what is 'nice' television. And of course they need acts who are actually willing to do it, and are just saying they'd do it to be friendly.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
The BBC has been very, very quiet about Eurovision, Just today RTE announced its participation.

I know its very early days, but the fact that the BBC haven't even done anything yet, with reports that BMG are no longer involved, and also the HoD leaving the role, it does sound like the BBC are withdrawing.

But of course, its probably more likely they are having a major restructuring of the delegation, I wouldn't be shocked if we had introducing involved again and perhaps we have a national final on a Saturday night

iirc the BBC never even confirmed for this year, we only got confirmation when the list of participants was posted.

NeonProject

It's a joke how quiet the BBC is and their closed door approach to the contest, they've had over a decade now with this issue and it's still a gripe our fandom has with the BBC. What really annoys me more about this though, is the multiple HODs who claim (in podcasts, interviews and their one blog-post a year) they have listened and heard us loud and clear... yet the BBC still keeps quiet and doesn't seem very enthusiastic until we have an act announced.

I know it's hard to announce the act and song until it's finalised... but a mention of their approach or even confirming as soon as they know costs very little money or time and it's literally this that can keep the fans hopeful, engaged and excited... It's just the literal bare minimum we end up getting. How on Earth are we meant to have faith in our delegation if this is the case? Never mind being supportive of our team. It just reeks of arrogance and it rubs us the wrong way... we end up wanting to see the team fail because of their poor attitude.

It's painful to be a UK fan because we want to do well, but we struggle to be fully able to support our team because they're full of contempt and/ or indifference.

So when they say they've heard us, I imagine the fandom is just thinking "have you? Have you really though?"

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Here is the issue though, its all well and good for an artist to say that they would do the contest as its a purely hypothetically scenario. Because if there ever was any intent by them to do it they'd be more vocal about doing it. Rather than, as is often the case, some random interview where the topic comes up and they say "Sure, I'd like to do it some day" because that isn't a statement of intent, that is just them being diplomatic.

And even if they themselves or any other credible and/or big name act turned around and said "Put me in! I'm ready!" their label might have other plans, especially after what happened with Newman and BMG.

Now to be fair, at this point we can only speculate what they are doing right now. For all we know they could have a big name act, or someone decent, or even just memorable lined up to do it next year and the finer points of contracts, video filming, and all that stuff is being worked through now. Right now we don't know.

I do believe that the BBC needs to be braver and more ambitious when it comes to what acts it puts through, but they can only put forwards what they have in front of them. And part of that comes from being open minded with the generas and acts they look for. And the other part comes from having people who are looking at this from a position of musicality rather than what is 'nice' television. And of course they need acts who are actually willing to do it, and are just saying they'd do it to be friendly.

Hurts were actually very serious about doing it... they do need artist freedom however and if BBC isn't willing to give them that it's their problem...

ESCConor

Hurts were actually very serious about doing it... they do need artist freedom however and if BBC isn't willing to give them that it's their problem...

And that is the big problem, giving artists full control.

the BBC seems scared to do it because they are worried about compramising their own brand or they want it done in a set way. I did remember Paloma Faith did say that she willing to do it, but they wanted full control over everything like staging etc.

I really want us to start actually upping our game, we need more risky songs, which would be memorable and make people want to vote for the UK, but the problem is that the BBC wants safe, generic, boring songs.

Personally, I think we should look at ditching an internal selection at returning to a National Final, but the songs should be selected from BBC introducing and not from a purely open selection , have a 12 song national final on a saturday night and do it during prime time hours ie: 7pm to 11:00pm and give them full creative control and lets see what happens.

NeonProject

I think an interpretation of Eurovision with the UK countries and dependant territories or even counties could be an easy ratings hit for us. It would give countries who don't often get a look in for the selection a chance to compete and show off their culture.

Local broadcasters could be in charge of the entry, then handing them over to the BBC for the main contest. The winner would host, similar to ESC providing benefits for broadcasters to want to do well and bring tourism to their area for the next year's final. Scotland and Wales, desperate to have a presence in such a contest, would now get their chance to prove themselves.

Failing the above, BBC's local hubs could act as host broadcasters for their areas instead; if the BBC is not willing to collaborate.

The silly people who only support anything related to "British" would back it and we ESC fans would more than likely eat up another ESC in the year. It would appeal to a broad audience.

We would technically win that every year boosting a bit of morale in a similar competition... our selected act will then have technically already gone through the process and should feel a bit more confident (as well as more support) going in to ESC. Similar to how the Melfest winners appear confident when they get to ESC.

I also think this approach would attract viewers from around Europe, thus garnering support from potential voters.

I'd imagine a contest with the following Participants:

England
Guernsey
Isle Of Man
Jersey
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Maybe even Gibraltar, although that might be controversial.

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ironically enough though, British voters are very tribal and usually tend to support their local representative over the 'better' choice. This is in any competitive show here. iirc it was apparently how Sarah Harding beat Javine to make it into Girls Aloud. Because Sarah is from Manchester, and Javine from London - with London being the least 'tribal' voting area in the country (not to mention most of the country actively dislike London and the South East). I remember back in 2014 there was a whole thing on our Local evening news where I live because the Maltese entry had strong connections to the area. Also in X Factor they ALWAYS encouraged local support when it got closed to the final. So while a whole British version of Bundevision sounds like it might be hot, i'm highly skeptical of outcomes it will produce. Also, England would have to be broken up into regions tbh.

If they do go back to a NF, then I hope they don't fall down the rabbit hole that is the Scandi rejects songwriting camps. Because them songs were sent out to all the NFs of Scandinavia and it always seemed like we got the dregs from the bottom of the barrel. No thanks. Them camps completely hijacked our entire NF and it was tragically flawed. If they just let people entered with their own music (and avoid something stupid like Surie singing basic midtempo pop despite being anything but) then I would be down - providing the choices were good. Quite frankly at this point I couldn't care less how our entry is picked, as long as it was strong and competitive.

Huwchie

BBC needs to take a look at their last few years of introducing and they’ll have a goldmine of talent.

Alice Chater would be a great option for the uk , we need more pop performers who are killer vocalists . With a great song would be an excellent launch of her career -

rasmuslights

Veteran
BBC needs to take a look at their last few years of introducing and they’ll have a goldmine of talent.

Alice Chater would be a great option for the uk , we need more pop performers who are killer vocalists . With a great song would be an excellent launch of her career -

she already said no haha:(

Top Bottom