Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

esc87fan

JollityFarm

I don't have any especial ideas on individual artists, but I would say that the singer needs to be very good at singing, and the song needs to be as different from "Embers" as is physically possible. I mean, I liked "Embers" well enough to listen to on the radio, but live on the night, the contest just swallowed it. I feel (like others here) that the people in charge are choosing nice songs that are nice to listen to on a nice afternoon with a nice cup of tea and a nice slice of cake, and that's all well and good, but quite clearly isn't working for Eurovision. And the people in charge seem to be saying "well, that didn't work...let's do it again". I would have thought it would be obvious to do something completely different from the thing which failed hard last time, but the UK went from Michael Rice to James Newman like they'd learned absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Personally, I would like to see the UK maybe take inspiration from this year's Ukrainian entry - some mix of traditional and electronic music. I note that the remix of "Wellerman" is still in the top ten in a few countries - and I'm not saying it should sound exactly like that, just saying that it shows we can mix old and new styles and have it be very successful.

rasmuslights

Veteran

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Plus it's still too early for the BBC.

I bims

Veteran
Here we go again... xgaah
Blu can't even sing or rap... or really dance. They really think their success in gay spaces would translate? I don't think.

Mimmon

Veteran
Nothing agaisn't to Jessy J (even I like the songs from her)
but I want UK to focus on modern and new UK artists are trending not some like 2010-2011 trends....
Oh well I hope its not Jessy J

ESC94

JollityFarm

I would be happy to see a drag act perform for the UK at Eurovision - IF, and only IF, they are very good at singing live. If they're just thinking of sending something "funny" off the telly because they think "the gays" will love a drag act no matter what it is, they're going to end up disappointed. I am reminded that Denmark sent a drag act ( "D.Q." ) in 2007 and nobody cared. Meanwhile, Conchita Wurst did win in 2014, but she/Thomas Neuwirth has a very good voice, and had a song to suit that voice very well. People doing astonishing things with their vocals will always be popular.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
A drag act doesn't necessarily mean kitsch, cheesy and bad singing yes. It can be done very seriously and tastefully, but you just know with the BBC and UK every stereotype and the kitchen sink would be thrown in.

rasmuslights

Veteran
A drag act doesn't necessarily mean kitsch, cheesy and bad singing yes. It can be done very seriously and tastefully, but you just know with the BBC and UK every stereotype and the kitchen sink would be thrown in.

yeah but most of the time it means exactly that - kitsch and cheesy and attack for the eyes and sound...

I did enjoy conchita and that is honestly the only drag queen I enjoyed in my life haha...

no offense to anyone who enjoys drag, I personally hate the whole vibe of it.

JollityFarm

I expect they might point to Verka Serduchka as an example of a novelty drag act that was, and remains, popular with Eurovision fandom. But I would honestly struggle to explain exactly how that worked where other novelty acts didn't, and I think any attempt to replicate that in the same way would be bound to end in crashing disaster.

Rasmus0714

Well Statham used to be a professional diver and competed at the Common Wealth Games in 1990, so he is well used to sinking to the bottom of stuff.
If Statham performed street dance shirtless as a backup dancer for James, there might be a chance UK won't end up with nul point?

Chrisiam

Well the UK almost got 1 point from Poland so maaaybe that would have been enough to tip us over from total failure to just failure.

Of course on the topic at hand it goes without saying that its way too early for the decision to be made on who is doing it in 22. However I don't doubt that some of these artists we've seen mentioned the past couple pages have been in very early talks about doing it next year. But we are talking long list stuff here, nothing so concrete that we can consider them in contention thus yet.

I mean, goodness, we don't even know if the BBC will still be working with BMG for next year and that will set the tone for what we can expect next year.

hunty73

Its always amazed me how bad the BBC are at ESC.If you tried to be as bad by employing all world experts you couldnt match them.
The answer is clear enough.The UK has lots of quality music genres.Id start with folk music.The UK has an amazing folk scene with some fantastic artists.Go that route with a genuine act and genuine song.It was profitable backing us to come last,but id rather not next year.

revallsay

It has been ages since I last write this:

I hope Cheryl will go.

Now when she made her Instagram return with some supplements advertisement, it is only a little less inpossible as it was least yer, hehe xd

Ianp16

Cheryl’s voice isn’t strong enough for ESC. Although with the new backing vocals rule she might do okay. Cheryl isn’t cool anymore. We need someone cool.

Huwchie

Cheryl’s voice isn’t strong enough for ESC. Although with the new backing vocals rule she might do okay. Cheryl isn’t cool anymore. We need someone cool.
For sure. Cheryl is a personality pop star who is unfortunately not really relevant in UK nevermind Europe. Would be another Rafal moment IMO.

We need a strong singer/performer, simple. I am holding out for Jessie J

Top Bottom