Contact us

United Kingdom UNITED KINGDOM 2022

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

NeonProject

It's a joke how quiet the BBC is and their closed door approach to the contest, they've had over a decade now with this issue and it's still a gripe our fandom has with the BBC. What really annoys me more about this though, is the multiple HODs who claim (in podcasts, interviews and their one blog-post a year) they have listened and heard us loud and clear... yet the BBC still keeps quiet and doesn't seem very enthusiastic until we have an act announced.

I know it's hard to announce the act and song until it's finalised... but a mention of their approach or even confirming as soon as they know costs very little money or time and it's literally this that can keep the fans hopeful, engaged and excited... It's just the literal bare minimum we end up getting. How on Earth are we meant to have faith in our delegation if this is the case? Never mind being supportive of our team. It just reeks of arrogance and it rubs us the wrong way... we end up wanting to see the team fail because of their poor attitude.

It's painful to be a UK fan because we want to do well, but we struggle to be fully able to support our team because they're full of contempt and/ or indifference.

So when they say they've heard us, I imagine the fandom is just thinking "have you? Have you really though?"

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Here is the issue though, its all well and good for an artist to say that they would do the contest as its a purely hypothetically scenario. Because if there ever was any intent by them to do it they'd be more vocal about doing it. Rather than, as is often the case, some random interview where the topic comes up and they say "Sure, I'd like to do it some day" because that isn't a statement of intent, that is just them being diplomatic.

And even if they themselves or any other credible and/or big name act turned around and said "Put me in! I'm ready!" their label might have other plans, especially after what happened with Newman and BMG.

Now to be fair, at this point we can only speculate what they are doing right now. For all we know they could have a big name act, or someone decent, or even just memorable lined up to do it next year and the finer points of contracts, video filming, and all that stuff is being worked through now. Right now we don't know.

I do believe that the BBC needs to be braver and more ambitious when it comes to what acts it puts through, but they can only put forwards what they have in front of them. And part of that comes from being open minded with the generas and acts they look for. And the other part comes from having people who are looking at this from a position of musicality rather than what is 'nice' television. And of course they need acts who are actually willing to do it, and are just saying they'd do it to be friendly.

Hurts were actually very serious about doing it... they do need artist freedom however and if BBC isn't willing to give them that it's their problem...

ESCConor

Hurts were actually very serious about doing it... they do need artist freedom however and if BBC isn't willing to give them that it's their problem...

And that is the big problem, giving artists full control.

the BBC seems scared to do it because they are worried about compramising their own brand or they want it done in a set way. I did remember Paloma Faith did say that she willing to do it, but they wanted full control over everything like staging etc.

I really want us to start actually upping our game, we need more risky songs, which would be memorable and make people want to vote for the UK, but the problem is that the BBC wants safe, generic, boring songs.

Personally, I think we should look at ditching an internal selection at returning to a National Final, but the songs should be selected from BBC introducing and not from a purely open selection , have a 12 song national final on a saturday night and do it during prime time hours ie: 7pm to 11:00pm and give them full creative control and lets see what happens.

NeonProject

I think an interpretation of Eurovision with the UK countries and dependant territories or even counties could be an easy ratings hit for us. It would give countries who don't often get a look in for the selection a chance to compete and show off their culture.

Local broadcasters could be in charge of the entry, then handing them over to the BBC for the main contest. The winner would host, similar to ESC providing benefits for broadcasters to want to do well and bring tourism to their area for the next year's final. Scotland and Wales, desperate to have a presence in such a contest, would now get their chance to prove themselves.

Failing the above, BBC's local hubs could act as host broadcasters for their areas instead; if the BBC is not willing to collaborate.

The silly people who only support anything related to "British" would back it and we ESC fans would more than likely eat up another ESC in the year. It would appeal to a broad audience.

We would technically win that every year boosting a bit of morale in a similar competition... our selected act will then have technically already gone through the process and should feel a bit more confident (as well as more support) going in to ESC. Similar to how the Melfest winners appear confident when they get to ESC.

I also think this approach would attract viewers from around Europe, thus garnering support from potential voters.

I'd imagine a contest with the following Participants:

England
Guernsey
Isle Of Man
Jersey
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Maybe even Gibraltar, although that might be controversial.

Last edited:

AshleyWright

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Ironically enough though, British voters are very tribal and usually tend to support their local representative over the 'better' choice. This is in any competitive show here. iirc it was apparently how Sarah Harding beat Javine to make it into Girls Aloud. Because Sarah is from Manchester, and Javine from London - with London being the least 'tribal' voting area in the country (not to mention most of the country actively dislike London and the South East). I remember back in 2014 there was a whole thing on our Local evening news where I live because the Maltese entry had strong connections to the area. Also in X Factor they ALWAYS encouraged local support when it got closed to the final. So while a whole British version of Bundevision sounds like it might be hot, i'm highly skeptical of outcomes it will produce. Also, England would have to be broken up into regions tbh.

If they do go back to a NF, then I hope they don't fall down the rabbit hole that is the Scandi rejects songwriting camps. Because them songs were sent out to all the NFs of Scandinavia and it always seemed like we got the dregs from the bottom of the barrel. No thanks. Them camps completely hijacked our entire NF and it was tragically flawed. If they just let people entered with their own music (and avoid something stupid like Surie singing basic midtempo pop despite being anything but) then I would be down - providing the choices were good. Quite frankly at this point I couldn't care less how our entry is picked, as long as it was strong and competitive.

Huwchie

BBC needs to take a look at their last few years of introducing and they’ll have a goldmine of talent.

Alice Chater would be a great option for the uk , we need more pop performers who are killer vocalists . With a great song would be an excellent launch of her career -

rasmuslights

BBC needs to take a look at their last few years of introducing and they’ll have a goldmine of talent.

Alice Chater would be a great option for the uk , we need more pop performers who are killer vocalists . With a great song would be an excellent launch of her career -

she already said no haha:(

Chrisiam

As is always the case, the ball is in the BBC's court. They could easily do a show like NeonProject (and myself earlier in the thread) suggested and do a selection show with different acts from across the British Isles and other territories; One act from the initial seven regions suggested by Neon would easily do for a hour and a half long show, then have a voting system similar to Eurovision where each region can only vote for other regions and not themselves and you eliminate a lot of the tribalism like Ashley suggested.

They have used similar voting systems in past NF shows but dropped it after what happened with Gemini and just did a general nation wide vote. So there is a precedent for them doing it. All the BBC would need to do as far as the acts themselves is concerned is to be open minded with who they pick for each region.

Hell they could even draw it out a little if they have the numbers and do a series of regional heats on TV or Radio to select the act to represent them. It would do wonders for their local radio stations if they did, both in terms of listening figures at the time and their social media profiles.

And beyond anything else all of this would help to build up hype for the act going into the main contest. Whilst Internal Selections can avoid some getting lumbered with something that sounds too X Factorish it doesn't help build interest and investment in the acts the same way as had they been in a selection of live shows. Which whilst it might not be the deciding factor on if an act wins the contest it'd help.

But again, this is all a matter of what the BBC wants to do and what acts are willing to do it.

Huwchie

As is always the case, the ball is in the BBC's court. They could easily do a show like NeonProject (and myself earlier in the thread) suggested and do a selection show with different acts from across the British Isles and other territories; One act from the initial seven regions suggested by Neon would easily do for a hour and a half long show, then have a voting system similar to Eurovision where each region can only vote for other regions and not themselves and you eliminate a lot of the tribalism like Ashley suggested.

They have used similar voting systems in past NF shows but dropped it after what happened with Gemini and just did a general nation wide vote. So there is a precedent for them doing it. All the BBC would need to do as far as the acts themselves is concerned is to be open minded with who they pick for each region.

Hell they could even draw it out a little if they have the numbers and do a series of regional heats on TV or Radio to select the act to represent them. It would do wonders for their local radio stations if they did, both in terms of listening figures at the time and their social media profiles.

yes , I totally agree with the listening figures , views etc. We cannot trust a small audience vote on a Friday night watching BBC2 with sub par songs performed by karaoke singers to be an effective way of choosing our entry or for that, the right one !

Chrisiam

Well, she said she'd do it for years. Even after a presenter at the BBC referred to her as the "Poundland Pixie Lott" on air at the suggestion a few years back on the BBC pop-up Eurovision radio station. And she did say that she'd write one like the day after the finals. So I don't doubt that she is writing stuff, its a matter of if the BBC want her or not.

ESCConor

I was just thinking, if the BBC did decide to give another broadcaster a chance then I wonder what would change.

Could artists be given more if not full creative freedom?

Chrisiam

I really think it depends on the channel that takes it on.

ITV would likely either use The Voice as the source of their act or some original show that would run in the slot the X Factor held. As such I imagine their NFs would be much the same as the BBCs but mixed with The Voice/X Factor with similar results. Acts would have about as much creative freedom as with those shows. Granted I might be wrong but I can't see ITV throwing the kind of time and money into a national selection that they really could do.

Channel 4 has never really done a show like the NFs. So it might well be internal by them, likely with the acts being unknown but with a fair bit of creative freedom. They might not have a big enough budget though for staging and such.

Channel 5 just wouldn't have the money to do it at all.

Sky is just such a non-entity, and they might give an act creative freedom not out of a conscious decision but because they have no clue what to do.

AshleyWright

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I dont think Channel 5 or Sky could do it anyway?. They're not part of that UKIB group iirc. Sky especially would be a no no as it's a 100% private channel behind a pay wall. I dont think they would be interested anyway, I don't see how it would fit their model. Channel 4 and ITV would fight for it.

BBC is restricted heavily by its neutrality. It can't make serious political statements, it cannot do any advertising AT ALL, so much so that even songs with brand reference in them have been banned from BBC Radio channels in the past. They're strictly controlled by a budget coming from tax payer money. Not to mention their audiences are older and less diverse.

ITV and Channel 4 are the opposite of all that. ITV makes big money from advertising on prime time slots. They would have more movement, money and connections to find the right song and artist. When they did JESC they even did a NF. Their audiences are younger and more diverse. When BBC3 shut down they took thay entire demographic to ITV 2. The downside with them is their love affair with Simon Cowell, and I can see him becoming a dominant feature in our selections. Channel 4 idk enough really.

theditz83

Veteran
Channel 4 would be the best option for an edgy, independent entry but I don't see the BBC ever giving up control.

And the Little Boots post was so disheartening because she said "actually writing a Eurovision song" - that's the whole issue with the UKs approach to Eurovision, they think that a song needs to be written in a certain way for Eurovision, satisfying certain clichés or fabled old-fashioned "norms" that actually don't exist anywhere but in the general UK population's stereotypes.

If you want to write a song to submit to the BBC for Eurovision, the focus should be on writing a killer song that you'd be proud to release and fight for chart success across the continent - only then will you be along the right lines.

Chrisiam

To be fair I think with Little Boots and her history with wanting to do the contest she just means it as "I'm writing a song for Eurovision" rather than "A Eurovision song". I.E. She is writing a song that she hopes she will sing/an act will sing at the contest and not the oven ready Eurovision songs that the BBC still, STILL thinks will do well at the contest despite never having done so for the UK.

Chrisiam

Well they are as much a bunch of hasbeens as Steps are and given however is selecting acts for the UK seemingly hasn't updated their music collection since 2000 they are probably on the list as a fresh new talent.

Top Bottom