Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Congrats on your result! I am not the biggest fan of the song but going from nul points to second place is such an achievement!

esc87fan

Comeback story completed - from double 0 in Rotterdam to 2nd place in Turin winning the jury vote. Not to mention the country's best result in the 21st century, its best result since 1998, and breaking a 25-year scoring record. That's something for the UK to celebrate (and I guess now the "Europe hates us" theory can now be put to bed)

Sam's performance brought me to tears, he was so good. No doubt he's returning to the UK as a hero and with a fantastic start to a promising career

SAYAY

I am switching between being happy for UK for finally being this high up and to being absolutely heartbroken they didn't win xcryI ended up loving this song way more than I thought I would, and Sam is definitely my winner of eurovision 2022xheart

(and before someone decides to attack me with some angry message - I love Kalush Orchestra and Ukraine, but song wise I had other favorites placed higher than Stefania.)

theditz83

Veteran
It's 4:50am and I'm sitting with my husband awaiting our flight boarding for Lanzarote. I am exhausted from the emotional rollercoaster that was this final - it was amazing, and to see the genuine talent and awesome energy that Sam brings to every single performance just light up the whole arena and the scoreboard was an absolute joy. He did it :uk: - what a moment to remember 😭

I need sleep, and I cannot be more wordy right now but I pray with all the strength that I have that the BBC sticks with TaP and can continue to bring more unbelievable talent that can bring us more success and joy like what we've all experienced tonight. Just divine xheat

Kitakaze

So proud of Sam. Not going to lie, even with 2nd I can’t help but feel a bit deflated in thinking what could have been had the circumstances in Ukraine been different this year. No point in dwelling on that though, and at least he was the real winner in the eyes of many.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I'm really happy for the UK, I hope it will mark a stepping stone for your future entries. I liked the song, I maybe wouldn't have placed it in 2nd but it had to be done for you to finally rise again in the contest.

LakZaNokte

So proud of Sam. Not going to lie, even with 2nd I can’t help but feel a bit deflated in thinking what could have been had the circumstances in Ukraine been different this year. No point in dwelling on that though, and at least he was the real winner in the eyes of many.
No need to think about that cause we will never know how would votes spill over if the situation was different.
It is how it is, just enjoy the moment :)

ESC94

Congratulations to :uk:, the song will never be my cup of tea but I´m happy for the country that after so many terrible years it finally could smell victory again, at least a bit. ;)

I hope this will encourage some artists to just give it a try. :)

Yoozek

Sam was in space, man, just because Chanel blew the roof of the arena half an hour before.

Chrisiam

Still processing the result from yesterday. I think this is the first time I've gone to bed after a Eurovision feeling happy and optimistic about the UK's results since at least 09. I hope that this is the beginning of a new era for the UK at the contest and not a one-off.

Datura

would have loved to see this win, sam did great!
typically the british tabloids write of "our sam" today. really? has james newman been "our james" aswell? or "our" michael rice, "our" surie?
but yea that's the same anywhere, here in austria it's "our" conchita aswell but it has not been "our" paenda or "our" pia maria. that annoys me, people always like the light of successful people but no way u support those who are not...

hijirio

Veteran
Fun fact: this is the 16th time UK is finishing in the 2nd place, more than any other country 🤣

Uto

Veteran
Lime I said

When I don't attend esc parties we do shit

But when we do we get fantastic results.

Last party was 2009 untill tonight when we had 1
This Charly casually self-inviting himself to parties.

Iker

Veteran
This should effectively shut down opinions that UK tends to do really badly at the Eurovision because of political antipathies, Brexit, voting blocks whatever. As you can find out you're likely to finish high when you send a competitive entry and a strong singer. Congratulations on the 2nd place!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I risk getting myself exiled for this but in my opinion we were quite overrated. The whole song still has that BBC Eurovision waft to it, which is why I never rated its chances, always thinking 11th to 15th was more likely for this entry but I was proved wrong. I guess the thing here that really shone through was the fact that for once we were sending a highly competent and charismatic (even if he's too hammy for my personal taste) singer. The song itself wasn't bad either. It has a good build up to it and explodes just when it needs to.

The best thing about this all (as others have already mentioned) is that now confidently we can shoot down with evidence any of the "but Europe hates us" rubbish that gets spewed. After years of sending either bad songs or alright-ish songs performed by artists with next to no stage presence, all it took was a half decent song performed by an impressive vocalist who looked like he actually wanted to be there on that stage, and who gave it 110%. It was that simple, and there's plenty more like Sam we can easily find and send.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next for us. I personally hope we avoid immediately going down another cheesy route, even if it did us extremely well this year. I'd love to see us send a current R&B/soul artist, genres I think our country excels at. Someone like Jorja Smith, Nao, Yola, Joy Crookes.. or if we wanted to take a cool risk, an artist along the lines of FKA Twigs would be hot.

Top Bottom