Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

ESCConor

I was just looking at the Artists TaP have on their roster and I have to say its a lot smaller than BMGs.

The other observation is that TaP have a lot of young artists, which is exactly the right direction imo.

But the signs are very interesting, I think the BBC made the right move ditching BMG and going for a smaller label.

ESCConor

BMG wasnt giving it enough effort as well imo, whilst James was a great representive for us last year, the song itself was a complete let down. My Last Breath would of done far better than Embers.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I want to feel positive about this announcement but BMG is a hugely successful in the music industry and they gave us James Newman

Charly

History repeats itself, bold statemnts on something good the label claims to bring then in the end a flop. BMG and TaP said the same thing but we will see if TaP lives to its promise or turns out like another BMG flop

Chrisiam

I suppose one possible take away from this News is that it means the chances of someone from Drag Race ending up doing the contest for the UK in '22 have gone down a bit. Though that still won't stop most panicking until after we get the act named.

I bims

Veteran
Don't know what will be worse:

A. Another horrible entry and crying Brits all over social media "Eurovision is beneath us anyway!!!111 >:'C"
B. A good result/ A UK win and cocky Brits all over social media "We told you, you are beneath us!!! C:<"
C. The Frock Destroyers.

Romeo

From the acts I have seen I think Joshua Speers would be a good guess

Mainshow

Veteran
I agree with what has been said in this thread. We all have heard this before... and BMG didn't even try.. we got the worst British entry and performance since Electro Velvet. All the comments on how "Europe hates the UK" deeply concerns me.. like... don't they have the ability to reflect on themselves? You can't submit one of the dullest entries of all time performed by a mediocre vocalist accompanied by one of the most ridiculous stagings of the night and expect to NOT end up being last.

I just hope that Dua Lipa's manager will come up with something great this time but he seriously has to go into a whole different direction than BBC and BMG..

I haven't heard a competitive entry from the UK in Eurovision since 2011 (and that performance was mediocre to vocally unlistenable as well).

Ajeje Brazorf

Don't know what will be worse:

A. Another horrible entry and crying Brits all over social media "Eurovision is beneath us anyway!!!111 >:'C"
B. A good result/ A UK win and cocky Brits all over social media "We told you, you are beneath us!!! C:<"
C. The Frock Destroyers.

D - A song not so horrible or not so horribly staged to come dead last. And yes, this is my pick. Btw, it's curious to think that Uk and Ireland started doing poorly in Eurovision when the language rule was abolished.

Chrisiam

Honestly I feel the change to the language rule and the results of the UK and Ireland since then are more coincidental than anything else. Ireland was still putting forwards acts that, and I mean no offence to the performers themselves, were horribly dated for much of the 00's and never really was able to pivot to more contemporary sounds. I mean, seriously, many of them sound like they'd have been more at home in the mid-80's to early 90's not into the new millennium.

The UK looking at the results they had it feels more like stylistic wobble; they are trying to find their feet musically and are putting forwards acts and sounds that didn't quite cut it but with a little more time they'd have managed to correct themselves. I mean lets be blunt here, the year before Gemini did the contest the UK came third. The BBC bet the farm on Gemini; they thought they'd become a global music sensation, they gave them their own weekly Eurovision review show, they more than likely spent more money and man hours on Gemini than they have done any other act prior to or since then, they got drunk on their own hype and hubris and when it managed to deflect criticism away from the BBC and their handling of it they did it every time we got a bad result since then. Rarely explicitly, at least not the corporation themselves, but their proxies and presenters.

Ireland has struggled because it wasn't able to move with the times, the UK has struggled because the BBC won't accept any responsibility for bad results. And as we saw with the fallout from the UK's results this year there is less of the "Euroupte hatesuus!" commentary and more criticism of the BBC themselves. And that will likely continue going forwards. Hopefully this coming year will be different and the start of something great. But honestly it feels like I am saying that every year now.

tomos2019

The only thing I would disagree with is that technically ballads were kind of Ireland's brand back then, I was a kid back then and I found most things in life didn't change until fairly late in the decade, whereas Jemini I doubt we'd have even given points to ourselves lol

FilipFromSweden

I believe this record company agreed to collab with BBC because they've seen how huge Måneskin has become and now believe that Eurovision is a greater platform than ever to push an artist and their music into mainstream charts

theditz83

Veteran
I believe this record company agreed to collab with BBC because they've seen how huge Måneskin has become and now believe that Eurovision is a greater platform than ever to push an artist and their music into mainstream charts
We can only hope so. Måneskin way not be my bag, but there's no denying that them winning Eurovision has been a fantastic catalyst for further mainstream success across many countries that they perhaps wouldn't have reached as easily otherwise.

Chrisiam

To be fair though I would have thought that was why BMG were doing it with the BBC in the first place. They were never going to do this out of the goodness of their heart. It was always going to be about music sales and elevating one of their artists.

Which looked like it was going to be the case in 2020 given the song selection, artist, planned staging and such. 2021 It seemed like they were just doing it out of obligation because Newman wanted a second crack at it. No flare, all rather standard and pedestrian (even more so than the year before). And if the News story about the Drag Race performer getting tapped to do it this year is true then BMG weren't going to come back this year at all hadn't Newman said he wanted to do it.

So hopefully in '22 we get an act and production that has more effort behind it. If only for the sake of making the investment back and saving face.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

It seems potentially so. It was them who offered to help the BBC, rather than the BBC asking them and then they reluctantly accepted - So they obviously want to do it. They also have more at stake from this failing considering their relatively small size but huge reputation. I listened to the interview they gave and I really like what they were saying about not wanting Eurovision to be a boom or boost moment for a career, but rather a platform for potential growth and exposure which all lean to what you say. They also want to nurture and help the artist chosen grow, which is what they typically do with their pool of singers. They have some HUGE names on their roster, so they obviously know what they're on about when it comes to current popular music. I certainly feel more positive about it now than I did initially, but I refuse to let myself get carried away over it given history.

ESCConor

I think the roster of TaG looks really interesting.

Like people have said, I dont think eurovision should be treated as a boom or bust moment as its been seen in the UK in recent times, but rather a platform to grow, its a bit like a young football player who is going through a youth academy.

I think its high time we went with real talented artists like Grace Carter for example, give them full creative control over the staging etc and lets see where that takes us.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Here's the thing about the UK at Eurovision: they've failed in so many different ways trying so many different things that I don't think it's worth actively avoiding anything just because it's reminiscent of a past failure. If anyone thinks there's a magic bullet solution, chances are they've tried it and managed to eff it up. The closest thing to a magic bullet I could think of was "don't try so hard," and then I heard myself speak and remembered that "nobody involved tried" is the root of not one but many British Eurovision failures. What I guess I mean is that it's not worth using your best judgment to intentionally decide that this year, the UK is going to send an established artist/send an unknown/send something current-sounding/send something dated/send something ordinary/send something weird. The execution is going to be bad. May as well go in with no plan, just keep throwing shit at the wall, and hope you stumble into something you can execute.

Top Bottom