Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Chrisiam

As is always the case, the ball is in the BBC's court. They could easily do a show like NeonProject (and myself earlier in the thread) suggested and do a selection show with different acts from across the British Isles and other territories; One act from the initial seven regions suggested by Neon would easily do for a hour and a half long show, then have a voting system similar to Eurovision where each region can only vote for other regions and not themselves and you eliminate a lot of the tribalism like Ashley suggested.

They have used similar voting systems in past NF shows but dropped it after what happened with Gemini and just did a general nation wide vote. So there is a precedent for them doing it. All the BBC would need to do as far as the acts themselves is concerned is to be open minded with who they pick for each region.

Hell they could even draw it out a little if they have the numbers and do a series of regional heats on TV or Radio to select the act to represent them. It would do wonders for their local radio stations if they did, both in terms of listening figures at the time and their social media profiles.

And beyond anything else all of this would help to build up hype for the act going into the main contest. Whilst Internal Selections can avoid some getting lumbered with something that sounds too X Factorish it doesn't help build interest and investment in the acts the same way as had they been in a selection of live shows. Which whilst it might not be the deciding factor on if an act wins the contest it'd help.

But again, this is all a matter of what the BBC wants to do and what acts are willing to do it.

Huwchie

As is always the case, the ball is in the BBC's court. They could easily do a show like NeonProject (and myself earlier in the thread) suggested and do a selection show with different acts from across the British Isles and other territories; One act from the initial seven regions suggested by Neon would easily do for a hour and a half long show, then have a voting system similar to Eurovision where each region can only vote for other regions and not themselves and you eliminate a lot of the tribalism like Ashley suggested.

They have used similar voting systems in past NF shows but dropped it after what happened with Gemini and just did a general nation wide vote. So there is a precedent for them doing it. All the BBC would need to do as far as the acts themselves is concerned is to be open minded with who they pick for each region.

Hell they could even draw it out a little if they have the numbers and do a series of regional heats on TV or Radio to select the act to represent them. It would do wonders for their local radio stations if they did, both in terms of listening figures at the time and their social media profiles.

yes , I totally agree with the listening figures , views etc. We cannot trust a small audience vote on a Friday night watching BBC2 with sub par songs performed by karaoke singers to be an effective way of choosing our entry or for that, the right one !

Chrisiam

Well, she said she'd do it for years. Even after a presenter at the BBC referred to her as the "Poundland Pixie Lott" on air at the suggestion a few years back on the BBC pop-up Eurovision radio station. And she did say that she'd write one like the day after the finals. So I don't doubt that she is writing stuff, its a matter of if the BBC want her or not.

ESCConor

I was just thinking, if the BBC did decide to give another broadcaster a chance then I wonder what would change.

Could artists be given more if not full creative freedom?

Chrisiam

I really think it depends on the channel that takes it on.

ITV would likely either use The Voice as the source of their act or some original show that would run in the slot the X Factor held. As such I imagine their NFs would be much the same as the BBCs but mixed with The Voice/X Factor with similar results. Acts would have about as much creative freedom as with those shows. Granted I might be wrong but I can't see ITV throwing the kind of time and money into a national selection that they really could do.

Channel 4 has never really done a show like the NFs. So it might well be internal by them, likely with the acts being unknown but with a fair bit of creative freedom. They might not have a big enough budget though for staging and such.

Channel 5 just wouldn't have the money to do it at all.

Sky is just such a non-entity, and they might give an act creative freedom not out of a conscious decision but because they have no clue what to do.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I dont think Channel 5 or Sky could do it anyway?. They're not part of that UKIB group iirc. Sky especially would be a no no as it's a 100% private channel behind a pay wall. I dont think they would be interested anyway, I don't see how it would fit their model. Channel 4 and ITV would fight for it.

BBC is restricted heavily by its neutrality. It can't make serious political statements, it cannot do any advertising AT ALL, so much so that even songs with brand reference in them have been banned from BBC Radio channels in the past. They're strictly controlled by a budget coming from tax payer money. Not to mention their audiences are older and less diverse.

ITV and Channel 4 are the opposite of all that. ITV makes big money from advertising on prime time slots. They would have more movement, money and connections to find the right song and artist. When they did JESC they even did a NF. Their audiences are younger and more diverse. When BBC3 shut down they took thay entire demographic to ITV 2. The downside with them is their love affair with Simon Cowell, and I can see him becoming a dominant feature in our selections. Channel 4 idk enough really.

theditz83

Veteran
Channel 4 would be the best option for an edgy, independent entry but I don't see the BBC ever giving up control.

And the Little Boots post was so disheartening because she said "actually writing a Eurovision song" - that's the whole issue with the UKs approach to Eurovision, they think that a song needs to be written in a certain way for Eurovision, satisfying certain clichés or fabled old-fashioned "norms" that actually don't exist anywhere but in the general UK population's stereotypes.

If you want to write a song to submit to the BBC for Eurovision, the focus should be on writing a killer song that you'd be proud to release and fight for chart success across the continent - only then will you be along the right lines.

Chrisiam

To be fair I think with Little Boots and her history with wanting to do the contest she just means it as "I'm writing a song for Eurovision" rather than "A Eurovision song". I.E. She is writing a song that she hopes she will sing/an act will sing at the contest and not the oven ready Eurovision songs that the BBC still, STILL thinks will do well at the contest despite never having done so for the UK.

Chrisiam

Well they are as much a bunch of hasbeens as Steps are and given however is selecting acts for the UK seemingly hasn't updated their music collection since 2000 they are probably on the list as a fresh new talent.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I never wanted Steps at ESC from the UK, not in this time with how we treat it. If we took the contest super serious then i'd support it. I want them even less now given the constant rubbish they say about Eurovision.

Vengaboys has Darude 2.0 written all over it. They have their nostalgic hits, but they're literally nothing now. :'D

Mimmon

Veteran
I never wanted Steps at ESC from the UK, not in this time with how we treat it. If we took the contest super serious then i'd support it. I want them even less now given the constant rubbish they say about Eurovision.

Vengaboys has Darude 2.0 written all over it. They have their nostalgic hits, but they're literally nothing now. :'D
Aren't that purpose of returnee acts just have another nostalgic hit in Eurovision fandom ?
But yeah I see the point of yours.... I know they won't do it just I prefer them over Steps lol....

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Yearly Foxes request with her new song out 20 minutes ago:

Last edited:
Top Bottom