Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Chrisiam

Well, back to having live selection shows with whoever they found off the reality TV circuit it is then if that is the case.

StephenMuckle

Judging from what I've been reading here and other rumours I've been hearing today, I'm pretty worried that the signs are pointing to a UK withdrawal. Dropping the BMG deal and apparently dismissing the HOD. I'd like to think they are maybe changing things up but I think they are either going back to the same tired old approach from before or withdrawing. Would not surprise me given the changes going on at the BBC and the government's obsession with culture wars and "anti wokeness".

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Is it actually confirmed though? or is this just some random nothing being stirred up?

tbh until there is fundamental changes in our delegation and how the BBC does things I don't see things ever improving no matter who we collab with. People from record label or not, they still have a warped sense of what is good for Eurovision.

ESCConor

Judging from what I've been reading here and other rumours I've been hearing today, I'm pretty worried that the signs are pointing to a UK withdrawal. Dropping the BMG deal and apparently dismissing the HOD. I'd like to think they are maybe changing things up but I think they are either going back to the same tired old approach from before or withdrawing. Would not surprise me given the changes going on at the BBC and the government's obsession with culture wars and "anti wokeness".

The BBC are facing massive cuts due to COVID and they have lost a lot of rights to major shows, they even didnt have full rights to the Olympic Games this year, they only got them because they sublicensed the rights from discovery.

I remember they had GBBO which was a massive hit for the BBC, they lost out on the rights to broadcast to Channel 4.

I also heard a rumour that Channel 4 was seriously considering taking over doing Eurovision from the BBC, which does add to the rumours of BMG pulling out and the HoD being dismissed.

Chrisiam

As with any of these rumours there is always the element of "Wait and see" with regards to them. Maybe the rumours are true. Either because the BBC is clearing house to make some radical changes or just go back to what kind of stuff we were doing before 2020 again.

I honestly can't see the BBC giving up the broadcasting rights to Eurovision easily and if they did I could see the UK possibly taking a year out as the new broadcaster figures things out; I mean the last thing they want is to do it once and get a less than stellar result and people just turn around and wonder if it was worth the money they would be spending on it.

Regardless of who is doing it next year there needs to be big changes in how the BBC deal with Eurovision. Which is something we end up saying pretty much every year so its kind of hard to see them doing it at this point sadly.

Vondenburg

I just want to add that our Head of Delegation had the power to give a wild card to S!sters even AFTER all national final participants have been chosen + he made them to perform last in our NF.

Some of these heads of delegation deserve hell, tbh.
Eh. No. It wasn't the Head of Delegation (Christoph Pellander at that time). It was the chief of NDR (Thomas Schreiber at that time)
Both are gone for good.

Mainshow

Veteran
My bad. Schreiber still was part of the delegation and messed up big time and he was the driving force for all the shitty entries we got in recent years.

Hopefully, we will get better entries from now on since they are gone.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It’s Jessie J ft. Steps singing a song by Adele, coreographed by Scootch and backing vocal by Foxes with a Jedward and Lady Gaga cameo. xheat

and it's still probably gonna come bottom 3 because the BBC plotting hard a strategy to sabotage it. They'll probably walk on stage in tracksuits and crocs with nothing but an oil lamp to light up the entire stage. With that line up no doubt it will be party song, so they'll be all stood on the spot like blocks of ice.

Chrisiam

Now now, you forgot them walking to the left, walking to the right, needlessly sustained note because judges, air grab, and finally golden shower.

Its a tale as old as time!

DanielLuis

The UK is never withdrawing though, no matter what happens, not with the ratings Eurovision consistently still pulls
If anything C4 or ITV would jump straight away to get the Eurovision rights

Chrisiam

Oh for sure, the UK will be in the contest for the long haul. I personally think though that in the event that it goes to some other broadcaster they might skip out on their first year so they can better arrange their plans and schedules for it. I mean, for the sake of the argument we get it revealed next week that the BBC is dropping coverage for the contest. That gives the remaining EBU affiliated broadcasters in the UK maybe a couple months to secure broadcasting rights which takes us to around November time.

And from there they'd be cutting it fine to try and plot out their selection processes and how they are going to manage their coverage. I mean, it wouldn't be impossible to do it, but I'd imagine whoever would take it on after the BBC would want to make a good first impression.

ESC94

Maybe I´m not in the right position as a German, but I say it anyway: You have reached rock bottom when it comes to points this year, so the only way to go is UP!! ;)

Grinch

There is no way UK is withdrawing but another channel getting the ESC rights would be best thing that ever happened to them in at least 2 decades probably. BBC thinks they are still living in the 80's.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
The UK is never withdrawing though, no matter what happens, not with the ratings Eurovision consistently still pulls
If anything C4 or ITV would jump straight away to get the Eurovision rights

This is why the BBC will never give it up. Why would they hand over an easy several million viewers on a Saturday night to another channel? and on the cheap. It just wont happen. If there was a bidding process to the rights i'm sure C4 or ITV would have taken it long ago, like C4 did with the Great British Bake Off & ITV with The Voice.

Top Bottom