Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Loindici

Veteran
I think BBC really needs a delegation reform. With the current one we have I don't think we'll be going anywhere.

tomos2019

I'm sorry but I don't want anyone too close to the UK X Factor or BGT, I've never been a fan of Simon Cowell regardless of the odd artist I like that might have come out of those shows around the world! :mad: For that type of talent show I've only ever really liked the original Popstars and casual viewing of the Voice, for my taste in terms of since 1998 you can't beat the original run of Stars in their Eyes though but I'd probably rather they not try and bring it back if that apparent reboot is going to be like I'm fearing!

Ekholmia

I honestly don't know what you should do, but you need to do something because good music from the UK is needed in ESC. If anyone potentially could deliver really good music it's the UK.

celestialsoothsayer

I kind of want the BBC to send a UK drill artist because rappers all across Europe (and even the globe) are trying to imitate the British sound, and it would also reflect what British people listen to.

This is one UK drill song that I can't get out of my head at the moment.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I kind of want the BBC to send a UK drill artist because rappers all across Europe (and even the globe) are trying to imitate the British sound, and it would also reflect what British people listen to.

This is one UK drill song that I can't get out of my head at the moment.

Drill would crash and burn at eurovision

Teaisloveable

I was thinking earlier, wouldn't it be intriguing if the UK split (for Eurovision!) and participated as 4 separate entrants?
It would certainly add a lot of culture to the competition. I mean, of course the four countries are similar in many ways, but they do all have their own identities too.
Scottish/ Welsh culture and music for example? The UK really only sends 'English' songs after all, I don't remember a full on Scottish or Welsh entry, especially recently. I don't know how well that would be recieved by a European audience, but imagine Gaelic at Eurovision!
Also it would be another excuse for the UK to argue amongst itself every year :lol:
The rivalries between Scotland and England... Might push the respective broadcasters to try a bit harder*

*Ignoring the logistics of UK broadcasting haha.

:en: England
:sc: Scotland
:wale: Wales
Northern Ireland

Ianp16

I was thinking earlier, wouldn't it be intriguing if the UK split (for Eurovision!) and participated as 4 separate entrants?
It would certainly add a lot of culture to the competition. I mean, of course the four countries are similar in many ways, but they do all have their own identities too.
Scottish/ Welsh culture and music for example? The UK really only sends 'English' songs after all, I don't remember a full on Scottish or Welsh entry, especially recently. I don't know how well that would be recieved by a European audience, but imagine Gaelic at Eurovision!
Also it would be another excuse for the UK to argue amongst itself every year :lol:
The rivalries between Scotland and England... Might push the respective broadcasters to try a bit harder*

*Ignoring the logistics of UK broadcasting haha.

:en: England
:sc: Scotland
:wale: Wales
Northern Ireland

For me this is the only interesting option for the UK to continue in ESC. It would really spice things up, add some new culture into the contest and also fire up some competition between England and Scotland which might make the BBC pull a finger out of their ass and get some talent in.

theditz83

Veteran
Omg, this popped up in my YouTube recommendations today and I honestly thought for a second that I'd been transported 7 months into the future and the BBC had just unveiled our 2022 entry... If this doesn't scream something that the Beeb would offer us, I don't know what does!

As a side note, I don't actually hate this - it's pleasant, but I can just imagine Europe going "umm, what decade are we in UK, step outta the time machine sis!" :lol:

Chrisiam

Don't worry, there is still plenty of time for the Beeb to put forwards a song/act just as bad or worse than that.

Chrisiam

I'd hate to do a double post, but a neat story I just found. Ed Sheeran saying he'd like to do Eurovision "One Day". I kind of feel that this is one of those being diplomatic kind of deals, and the day in question might never come, but its at least nice to see there are legit big artists out there who, hypothetically speaking, wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

ESCConor

Dont know how true this is, but there are rumours that Lee Smithurst has been sacked as the Head of Delegation, if that is true then I would be pleased to see him go.

We need to go back to the drawing board for next year, Why cant we get 24 of the most upcoming artists from BBC introducing doing a week long national selection on tv or something, I think that is the best solution.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Dont know how true this is, but there are rumours that Lee Smithurst has been sacked as the Head of Delegation, if that is true then I would be pleased to see him go.

He was the head of delegation? I thought it was some woman. I knew he was in the team, but idk about HoD. No matter, a good decision to sack him, although the entire team gets changed (or rather, the problem voices perhaps). I'd more worried if there were no changes at all to the delegation.

rasmuslights

Veteran
He was the head of delegation? I thought it was some woman. I knew he was in the team, but idk about HoD. No matter, a good decision to sack him, although the entire team gets changed (or rather, the problem voices perhaps). I'd more worried if there were no changes at all to the delegation.

I think it's fake though... he's still probably there.

Chrisiam

Please forgive my ignorance, but how would a change in the HoD impact upon the UK at the contest?

I mean, lets be honest, if it is true it might not change much (this is the BBC we are talking about after all) but how could it change things?

rasmuslights

Veteran
Please forgive my ignorance, but how would a change in the HoD impact upon the UK at the contest?

I mean, lets be honest, if it is true it might not change much (this is the BBC we are talking about after all) but how could it change things?

I don't get how you don't get it hahaha... it's like having for example a hotel with all the potential to be great but the manager of the hotel keeps it from being great, we get rid of him and replace him with someone else (who may or may not be great). :)

Chrisiam

Ah right fair enough. I just didn't know what the role really did. When I saw "Head of Delegation" I thought that just meant the person in change of the group they send over to the contest (the logistics of it, booking interviews for the act, getting the behind the scenes people where they need to be, meeting with the event organises etc) and not the person who was in charge of/in control of how the selection stuff was done.

Mainshow

Veteran
Ah right fair enough. I just didn't know what the role really did. When I saw "Head of Delegation" I thought that just meant the person in change of the group they send over to the contest (the logistics of it, booking interviews for the act, getting the behind the scenes people where they need to be, meeting with the event organises etc) and not the person who was in charge of/in control of how the selection stuff was done.
I just want to add that our Head of Delegation had the power to give a wild card to S!sters even AFTER all national final participants have been chosen + he made them to perform last in our NF.

Some of these heads of delegation deserve hell, tbh.

Lance Esgard

I expect they might point to Verka Serduchka as an example of a novelty drag act that was, and remains, popular with Eurovision fandom. But I would honestly struggle to explain exactly how that worked where other novelty acts didn't, and I think any attempt to replicate that in the same way would be bound to end in crashing disaster.
I would say it was a mix of fortuitous timing (you can't control what other entries are sent) together with personal charisma and one heck of a musical hook. Plus it was the year after Lordi won, so maybe In-character performances by artists in unusual costumes was able to hit a good spot at the time.

Top Bottom