Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

ESC94

Well, it´s seems after a veeery long time there´s some kind of a "hype" around an :uk: entry. Sadly I have to be the party crasher and say that I can´t share the general excitement. :(

With the exception of the chorus which is indeed a bit catchy the whole rest of the song is rather uneventful and boring for me. What bothers me the most though is his voice. I´m really not opposed to higher male voices but there´s a tone in his voice I really don´t like and he sings the WHOLE SONG in this high note and that makes it very exhausting for my ears. xwall

All in all I´m very sceptical that this song can break the ESC curse of the country. The jurors could reward them with some points since they like this vocal gymnastics, but I have a hard time seeing viewers liking this song enough to pick up their phone and vote for it. xthink

Since it´s not the worst song in the line up and because I can at least enjoy the chorus I give :4: for :uk: this year.

Last edited:

Preuss

lmao I've heard "this feels authentic", "this is different", "this will be on the left side of the scoreboard" every year for years now. This is like their other songs, and staging will make it or break it

i do like the song, but it's a 7 from me for now

Iker

Veteran
lmao I've heard "this feels authentic", "this is different", "this will be on the left side of the scoreboard" every year for years now. This is like their other songs, and staging will make it or break it

Has anyone in the right mind really called previous British entries like this save for the most delusional Brits? Certainly I don't recall such opinions appearing often, and none from people who are not from :uk: Especially in the case of Surie and Michael Rice I remember a lot of very negative reactions.

ayzelto

Ok, I have to upgrade this to a 12. I have to figure out where it goes in my ranking, but I can't see that outside of my top 10 this year. Well done UK!

mauve

Veteran
I am sorry. I am just not listening what some of you are raving about. Is it because it's not your usual bland shite that UK has sent that you guys are overcompensating much? If this is coming from Sweden, I am sure you guys will rip this into shreds.

In studio form, is it better than "Embers"? I don't even think so. There is really nothing much to latch on for this song after one or two listens. And I don't even see the desire to reach out listening to it.

He could be a great vocalist, but if the song is just not there, I doubt people will vote for it. Fortunately, we are in an extremely uneventful year, so this song could possibly have its fans. I am giving this a generous :5:. Can't see this troubling my top 10 (if I even have one at this point).
Thank you for saying it clearly! Excactly my opinion. The song as a whole is not better than "Embers". So I really don't understand the hype around this entry. It's way too beige and non eventful.

EscGeek

Veteran
"kinda average, but still on my good side"

This is what i wrote in the belgian thread. It applies here as well.

uk goes: "space mAAAAAAAAAAAn"
belgium goes "nOOOOOOOOOOOOOw"

Twinsies! If one grows on me, it takes the other one with it. :lol:

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)

My point. But if done well, it can be a 10. First time I'm seeing a potential in the UK entry since... Javine?

Mainshow

Veteran
It´s rising in the betting odds again. #5 and keeps on rising (green updates).

I know it´s a big improvement and probably the most "competitive" British entry since Blue or Jade but still, I don´t think it will perform that well in May.

I also wondered about a few comments I saw online (FB). Some fans even think this may win???

ESC94

Thank you for saying it clearly! Excactly my opinion. The song as a whole is not better than "Embers". So I really don't understand the hype around this entry. It's way too beige and non eventful.

The only explanation I have for this is that after so many disappointing songs and results in the past some fans have lowered their expectations so much and now celebrate everything that doesn´t automatically scream "last place" from the beginning. xshrug

mauve

Veteran
I also wondered about a few comments I saw online (FB). Some fans even think this may win???
That's quite over-ambitious. :sneaky:

The only explanation I have for this is that after so many disappointing songs and results in the past some fans have lowered their expectations so much and now celebrate everything that doesn´t automatically scream "last place" from the beginning. xshrug
I remember that last year people were quite hyped about "Embers" in the beginning - or does my memory deceive me? I think that "Space Man" might get some points from The Juries IF performed well, but I am not sure about televotes actually.

ESC94

That's quite over-ambitious. :sneaky:

I remember that last year people were quite hyped about "Embers" in the beginning - or does my memory deceive me? I think that "Space Man" might get some points from The Juries IF performed well, but I am not sure about televotes actually.

As I said I can see the juries voting for it because of vocal gymnastics, but in the televote this could be a song no one really minds listening to it but doesn´t care enough to vote. In the end this could end in many national televotes in places 11-15, which results in :0:, too much middle -of-the-road isn´t a winning formula. xbored

Last edited:

simori95

I am sorry. I am just not listening what some of you are raving about. Is it because it's not your usual bland shite that UK has sent that you guys are overcompensating much? If this is coming from Sweden, I am sure you guys will rip this into shreds.

In studio form, is it better than "Embers"? I don't even think so. There is really nothing much to latch on for this song after one or two listens. And I don't even see the desire to reach out listening to it.

He could be a great vocalist, but if the song is just not there, I doubt people will vote for it. Fortunately, we are in an extremely uneventful year, so this song could possibly have its fans. I am giving this a generous :5:. Can't see this troubling my top 10 (if I even have one at this point).
I enjoy this much more than Embers or anything Sweden has to offer (yes, Cornelia included) this year. I latch onto a bunch of things during the listen and while it’s absolutely fair that not everybody gets this out of the song, will you please stop writing countless comments? We get it, it’s bland to you. Fine. Move on.

crashworld

Veteran
As I said I can see the juries voting for it because of vocal gymnastics, but in the televote this could be a song no one really minds listening to it but doesn´t care enough to vote. In the end this could end in many national televotes in places 11-15, which results in :0:, too much middle-of-the-road isn´t a winning formula. xbored

But the thing is, this year, we have an influx of uneventful entries. So there is a possibility this song could be very well be in people's top 10. I wouldn't write off its chances, but I can also see why this may not be on everyone's radar and flop again.

crashworld

Veteran
I enjoy this much more than Embers or anything Sweden has to offer (yes, Cornelia included) this year. I latch onto a bunch of things during the listen and while it’s absolutely fair that not everybody gets this out of the song, will you please stop writing countless comments? We get it, it’s bland to you. Fine. Move on.

You can always put me on ignore list, you know.
And also, I can say back the same thing to you. Yes, I get it, you like it. Fine. Move on.

ESC94

Well, this is a forum, he can write as much comments as he wants to. xshrug

If you´re a fan of this song, no one forces you to read the comments. ;)

Hamsterwheel

As I said I can see the juries voting for it because of vocal gymnastics, but in the televote this could be a song no one really minds listening to it but doesn´t care enough to vote. In the end this could end in many national televotes in places 11-15, which results in :0:, too much middle-of-the-road isn´t a winning formula. xbored
And don't the common linnets know that more than anyone...:cry:

InaneLemming

This is probably a really weird thing to like this song for, but I write for a living, and what really stands out for me is that the lyrics actually make some sense!

I sometimes think a lot of Eurovision songs are lyrically lazy, they're repetitive, tangential and often all over the place - but Space, Man feels like there's actually a story and meaning to the lyrics. It's all about being somewhere else and lost and wanting to be back on earth. Simples!

0scar

This song drags on a little too long haha, I do enjoy it but after a certain amount of time into the song I get annoyed that it drags on

However, huge step up for :uk: comparing to last year, it's cool to see. I guess it will be up there around my top 10-15, hope to see it doing that well in Turin as well!

Top Bottom