Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Jonkonfui

Didn't you just make a post on the general thread criticizing people for listening to the songs for the first time with the sole intent of rating them instead of actually properly hearing them for what they are? :lol:
This is why i only listen to 30 seconds.. Because I know it is losing my time listening to the whole song focused on checking if I like it or not... I listen only to a few seconds to check if my mind 'clicks' to the song.
And i am not criticizing i am just telling that listening to a song to see whther you like it or not is not the right way to do it and the reason why usually what people predict in here does not happen at Esc... And the reason why people say things as 'this song is growing on me' or lower their initial voting.

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
This is why i only listen to 30 seconds.. Because I know it is losing my time listening to the whole song focused on checking if I like it or not... I listen only to a few seconds to check if my mind 'clicks' to the song.
And i am not criticizing i am just telling that listening to a song to see whther you like it or not is not the right way to do it and the reason why usually what people predict in here does not happen at Esc... And the reason why people say things as 'this song is growing on me' or lower their initial voting.
How do you judge a song by listening to 1/6th of it

Kitakaze

So pleased to suddenly see so much widespread positivity! Where was all this 24 hours ago? I’m curious if anyone else is now seeing this as an actual contender rather than top 15, left-hand side, etc.? I am but very possibly getting carried away.

Jonkonfui

How do you judge a song by listening to 1/6th of it
How do you judge a song focusing in whether you like it or not?.
I dont judge the song I only know the song is not telling me anything. I dont even listen to the song. I only try to 'stir' my unconscious mind with what i am hearing to see if my conscious mind reacts... Wooow i sound very mystical. Hahahaha.

Phoenix

This is great for the usual UK standard, pretty decent for the usual Eurovision standard. However, this isn't the greatest year ever, so pretty decent can secure you a top 10 placement in my ranking. :8:

Lindon

Chalk squeaking on a blackboard.

Loindici

Veteran

Etanna

This is not going to be in my top 3 this year but I do enjoy it. Most importantly though: Thank you UK for not sending the same song you've been sending the past decade xclapThis + the overall enjoyability of the song = :10: from me

Edit: Oh wow, when is the last time the UK had such good results in the poll? xshock90 % of the votes are evenly spread out across the 6-12 points

Iker

Veteran
United Kingdom finally sending a decent entry and one that I personally like (those two things do not exactly overlap) this time around? What went wrong? xD

Imho their best since Children Of The Universe. And speaking of their earlier entries that brought some nice result for the :uk: ... I disliked them, I mean songs from 2009 & 2011. Actually it is the first time where I fully enjoy British Eurovision song since I closely follow the contest (2004), albeit Electro Velvet was my guilty pleasure. I liked Jake & Joe too but it was more unremarkable.

"Spaceman" is a very uplifting song.

Last edited:

hpp0

The song didn't left an impression to me at all, I got bored of it after the first 30 seconds and I can barely remember it.

But unrelated to how I feel about it, if they want to avoid bottom 3 again they should go with a gimmicky performance, something like Iceland last year lets say, but not exactly. Imo UK's low places are somewhat related to the country, not in the sense that people won't vote for UK even if they like the song, but in the sense that an average entry sent by UK would do a lot worse, compared to the result it would get if it was send by Sweden or Italy for example, which are in general more liked as countries and successful within ESC.

ChiversLookDivine

Space Man is up to #1 on the UK iTunes Chart.

I can't actually remember the last time a British entry ever bothered our Top 40 charts, apart from Molly and Blue. If Sam Ryder gets anywhere close to Top 10 next week I'm going to take it as a good sign.

LoveHate

Exceeded my very low expectations. Jeff Lynne/ELO comes to mind, but this is more 40 years into your career album filler than a hit song.

This is far from bad or close to the bottom of the list when I rank all the songs. But then again I have a hard time seeing someone would think this is the best one and vote for it. Should get more than 0 from the juries though.

SarahM

This is not my cup of tea, but Space Man is a strong entry in my opinion - it's the type of song that would grab the viewers attention at home. Where it will fall on the scoreboard will come down to the execution of staging and live vocals (I'm not familiar with Sam so cannot comment on his singing ability).
It's not a winner IMO but I think it could potentially do well - I gave it a 6

bstream

Portugal 2021 vibes? Yes, no? I felt little for that entry until the night of the semi, where the vocals elevated the song just enough to qualify, but this song as a whole feels ever slightly more immediate. His vocals are among the best this year, almost giving the Andreas Kummert-type voice I have needed at ESC since 2015.

I really hope he can deliver night-of. He knocks it out of the park in all of these YouTube vids at these smaller venues, he’ll probably bring down the house at the pre-parties, but it’s May and its 200M-person audience that counts.

The package itself also reminds me of Bigger Than Us in that he is a very competent vocalist, but I just wonder if the song itself will move people to vote for it. I see that it is charting in the UK, but we have been around this block enough times to know that radio friendly does not automatically = competitive.

I don’t know how it could place — it can finish anywhere between 5th and 25th, and there could be a justifiable way to explain each result — but I do know I want it to do well. I’m of course in the camp that the UK doing well would only raise the profile of the contest and lead to better entries across the board in future editions. I strongly believe that Euphoria, Arcade, and Måneskin have helped raise the quality of the contest due to the quality of their entries (the issue this year has isn’t a lack of “quality” per-se, it’s just that a lot of the songs are boring).

This is definitely the best entry since Molly in 2014. But Molly’s song was just way more…lively? What killed the 2014 entry from getting the top 10 it deserved was the stagnant staging, and to a lesser extent, her outfit. This song needs to be staged in a memorable, yet tasteful way in order to do what it should in May.

crashworld

Veteran
I am sorry. I am just not listening what some of you are raving about. Is it because it's not your usual bland shite that UK has sent that you guys are overcompensating much? If this is coming from Sweden, I am sure you guys will rip this into shreds.

In studio form, is it better than "Embers"? I don't even think so. There is really nothing much to latch on for this song after one or two listens. And I don't even see the desire to reach out listening to it.

He could be a great vocalist, but if the song is just not there, I doubt people will vote for it. Fortunately, we are in an extremely uneventful year, so this song could possibly have its fans. I am giving this a generous :5:. Can't see this troubling my top 10 (if I even have one at this point).

Top Bottom