Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Some pretty strange activity going on at the BBC's Eurovision Twitter account. They have unfollowed almost everybody they are following. Has it been hacked or something?

They followed so many random accounts from fans etc. It seems they just cleaned it up because now they're only following some eurovision singers, BBC Stuff and Eurovision accounts from other broadcasters.

ESCConor

seeing rumours that it might be Chloe Adams, she is signed with TaP music and she liked a post about her doing it this year...

hijirio

Veteran

theditz83

Veteran
.net rumours is that it could be Claudia Valentina, she had a photoshoot last week and is in the process of filming a new video. The other name is Sam Ryder because the founders of Tap recently followed him and Sam himself followed Lucie Jones, John Newman and Chelcee Grimes in the last quarter.
Sam Ryder would be nice, his song More is an anthem (and the :uk: FSC February 2022 entry *shameless plug*)

When did James debut Embers last year again, was it around mid-Feb?

ESCConor

Chelcee Grimes just liked a comment on a instagram post saying its not her.

Yep, pretty much confirms that then.

My sense is that TaP might be going for someone who is a rising star, perhaps with it written by an established artist.

ESCConor

Chelcee Grimes just liked a comment on a instagram post saying its not her.

Yep, pretty much confirms that then.

My sense is that TaP might be going for someone who is a rising star, perhaps with it written by an established artist.

Chrisiam

To be fair she had said much the same about an hour after that radio station said it was her. Of course that didn't stop people further speculating when a new track (or at least part of a new track) of her's leaked online with people then saying about they've heard the song for this year's contest and didn't elaborate further but when you do even a little bit of digging its some random Twitter page with no further context being given.

I mean, I enjoy a good fake leak as much as the next person, but for goodness sake, can we get them artists who haven't said they aren't doing it? And it being full versions of the track and not a twenty second snippet which may well just be a B-Side from a few years back?

In any case the Chelcee Grimes thing always felt weird to me. Not due to her as an artist or a person. No, its more that, well, its a great amount of song and dance on behalf of the BBC and TaP to just end up with someone who already, for want of a better phrase, on the books with the BBC. Like, it almost feels like a "Why bother?" when so many other artists have tried to do it this year to just end up with someone who works at the Beeb as a presenter.

theditz83

Veteran
Are you suggesting that the BBC wouldn't just opt for a lazy choice? Cos that sounds more BBC than a day of Bargain Hunt specials being hosted by the presenters from the One Show xthink

Chrisiam

To be fair though whilst it is the more 'on brand' and lazy choice the issue is the optics of it from the point of view of TaG.

Lets be blunt. The only reason why they are doing this is the money; they want to promote an artist on their books, make as much money off they can in single sales from the act's song and use the promo that come from doing the event as a means of launching the act globally. And from there that they get to do this with the BBC next year, and possibly with other broadcasters across Europe and beyond. That is the reason why BMG did it (even if they'd never admit it), and it is the reason they'll be doing it.

As such if we find out in two or three weeks time that, despite all the 'new and established acts' that put music forwards for this, that the act that we get is someone who is largely known as a TV Presenter it isn't going to look good for them. The acts that put their material forwards or missed out on the deadline this time are going to be reluctant to do so next time.

It just feels too much of a gamble, more so than doing this in the first place in my opinion.

grazy2266

I always worry at this time of year because I know the UK will announce their song and artist soon lol I keep saying to myself each year I could be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not haha.

Mainshow

Veteran
If Cheryl Cole-Tweedy-Fernandez-Versini-Payne gets bored of selling vitamines to the entire population of the British Isles, she might want to revive her career?

I mean, she´s been on my wishlist for years and after seeing her last two singles (undesevedly) "flop" her status as a recording artist might be low/desperate enough to finally make a deal with BBC, no?

theditz83

Veteran
If Cheryl Cole-Tweedy-Fernandez-Versini-Payne gets bored of selling vitamines to the entire population of the British Isles, she might want to revive her career?

I mean, she´s been on my wishlist for years and after seeing her last two singles (undesevedly) "flop" her status as a recording artist might be low/desperate enough to finally make a deal with BBC, no?
Problem is, she's pretty pants live in a lot of live vocal performances unless she has crazy levels of backing support and a really loud track to hide her flaws.

I reckon it'll be another "next big thing" billed as the future of British music on the European stage, who will do little to no promotion and end in the 20s ending their career before it's even begun...

Bitter Gary just cannot bring himself to be optimistic for the BBC's choice sadly.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Problem is, she's pretty pants live in a lot of live vocal performances unless she has crazy levels of backing support and a really loud track to hide her flaws.

I reckon it'll be another "next big thing" billed as the future of British music on the European stage, who will do little to no promotion and end in the 20s ending their career before it's even begun...

Bitter Gary just cannot bring himself to be optimistic for the BBC's choice sadly.
Reminding me of this

crashworld

Veteran
Considering the reputation of ESC in UK, I doubt Cheryl will even bother contemplating the thought of being the UK representative. She can just keep doing more L'oreal adverts or whatever she wants.

To me, I think Steps or Sugababes 1.0 would have been a great choice. Heck, Atomic Kitten would be nice too.
It's been a while since UK send in a group (more than 2 people). The last time was Blue and it's like the best UK result in the 2010s.

theditz83

Veteran
Considering the reputation of ESC in UK, I doubt Cheryl will even bother contemplating the thought of being the UK representative. She can just keep doing more L'oreal adverts or whatever she wants.

To me, I think Steps or Sugababes 1.0 would have been a great choice. Heck, Atomic Kitten would be nice too.
It's been a while since UK send in a group (more than 2 people). The last time was Blue and it's like the best UK result in the 2010s.
Steps are a firm no. They are doing well enough with their new tours and material and their loyal fan base keeps them busy enough. Sugababes are also touring more I think this summer (they are headlining a festival in Glasgow in June) so I reckon they'd be too busy as well.

We'd be more likely to get a re-union of a group that no-one asked for again who scored two #27 hits back in the late 90s and then dissolved into the manufactured pop wasteland.

But I do agree that a group would be good, but only if they were relevant and in the current decade/century and not pulling out all the cliché 90s dance moves and even worse, cliché 90s styling and disposable music. *shudder*

Also why did I think we had a reveal last year around the middle of February? Just checked back on the 2021 thread and it was 11th March that it premiered - so we're within 4 weeks of one of the biggest annual disappointments of the year. Get hyped people 🙌🏻

Top Bottom