Sometimes I know my fire burns low
But as long as you're with me I'll never get cold
'Til day and night, 'til darkness and light
I never worry when you're by my side

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down herе in the ashes, yeah, thеre's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room
Light up the room

You and me forever, we're free
We're cool under pressure, and that's all we need
So take my hand, and forget the past
We're in this together, there's no looking back

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down here in the ashes, yeah, there's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianp16

I've been holding my fingers back each time I see a 'FROCK DESTROYERS 4 EUROVISION 2021' post online. I mean, I adored their appearance in UK Drag Race but at Eurovision it wouldn't translate. Maybe 15 years ago it might have been an option, but still. No. No, no, no. Just goes to show how people STILL think of Eurovision as a silly, camp, lighthearted pantomime - even the homosexuals! I can't even. Ugh.

Rant over.

tenor.gif

A-lister

Veteran
As much as I like RuPaul's Drag Race for what it is in the context of the show, the UK would so miss the mark (again) if they send this act to Eurovision... it would obviously come across as yet another mockery of the contest and feeding all the prejudices instead of actually taking the contest seriously for a change. Also drag acts in Eurovision are hardly anything exciting or forward-thinking at this stage, heck a drag act already won in 2014 (with the only difference that there was actual proper talent there... not that I liked the song but that's a different matter).

There is a slight chance that they would come up with something fun and catchy, but I'm pretty sure it would be cringe and just come off as just another joke act. Drag acts can be entertaining in the right environment, but the whole thing is just novelty.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
The good thing is, UK queens can actually sing. The problem is the way to pack them seriously.

I'd rather have Divina alone with a jazz-opera fusion song. No offense to the other Frock Destroyers, but the FD branding doesn't work for Eurovision IMO.

A-lister

Veteran
The good thing is, UK queens can actually sing. The problem is the way to pack them seriously.

Actually? I didn't find an actual live vocal performance by them, but in studio version it sounds like your average Drag Race vocals and it's far stretched to call it good vocals, but each to their own.

But yeah let's say their live singing is decent at least, because it doesn't need to be top-notch, it's the full package and the song that matters, but just like you point out the problem is that it's hard to take them seriously and the only thing saving would be a proper banger, but I'm afraid the entry could sound like their Drag Race songs and let's be honest, it's not good.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Its a stereotype that doesn't need reinforcing to any degree. I remember when James Newman song got played for the first time last year on the radio and the phone in listeners (1 a self proclaimed esc super fan) said it waa good but for Eurovision it needs to be a cheesy pop song. 🙄

rasmuslights

Veteran
Its a stereotype that doesn't need reinforcing to any degree. I remember when James Newman song got played for the first time last year on the radio and the phone in listeners (1 a self proclaimed esc super fan) said it waa good but for Eurovision it needs to be a cheesy pop song. 🙄

jesus UK really needs to see Eurovision for what it is.

AlekS

Veteran
yeah rise like a phoenix was that 1 % I was talking about haha, name another one? :D
Just 1% for the winner? o_O

Marie N - not a draq queen, but it's a drag performance.
DQ - she wasn't a joke entry. Just a disco pop with carnival/cabaret visuals. Certain Netta Loboda female performers were way more camp & joke than that.

This leaves us with Sestre and Verka. If somebody gives me Verka's level of fun, I would gladly give them 12.
How many drag entries have we had, btw? Much less than joke entries coming from non-drag performers.

As for Frock Destroyers. I like them a lot, but only Divina can sing live. The jury will rightfully tear them to shreds. The BBC should work on destroying that "ESC is camp & cheese" stereotype they created themselves with the help from British media and even politicians.

Loindici

Veteran
Actually? I didn't find an actual live vocal performance by them, but in studio version it sounds like your average Drag Race vocals and it's far stretched to call it good vocals, but each to their own.

But yeah let's say their live singing is decent at least, because it doesn't need to be top-notch, it's the full package and the song that matters, but just like you point out the problem is that it's hard to take them seriously and the only thing saving would be a proper banger, but I'm afraid the entry could sound like their Drag Race songs and let's be honest, it's not good.

Well, not everyone is a good singer unfortunately :lol: but for some of them their pipes are impeccable, like Divina's. It's just that FD's type of music is just your usual drag music and for me personally it didn't fit Divina nor Eurovision.

A-lister

Veteran
Just 1% for the winner? o_O

Marie N - not a draq queen, but it's a drag performance.
DQ - she wasn't a joke entry. Just a disco pop with carnival/cabaret visuals. Certain Netta Loboda female performers were way more camp & joke than that.

This leaves us with Sestre and Verka. If somebody gives me Verka's level of fun, I would gladly give them 12.
How many drag entries have we had, btw? Much less than joke entries coming from non-drag performers.

As for Frock Destroyers. I like them a lot, but only Divina can sing live. The jury will rightfully tear them to shreds. The BBC should work on destroying that "ESC is camp & cheese" stereotype they created themselves with the help from British media and even politicians.

Marie N a drag performance? I think that's pretty far stretched tbh... anyways one of the most bland and forgettable winners of the past 20 years which hardly helps the case :lol:

DQ was basically your average washed up mediocre drag act one could expect to find in some local gay bar in the late 90's/early 00's, which might not have been intentionally meant as a joke act but unintentionally came across as such (but for all the wrong reasons since it wasn't fun at all).. Netta and Loboda were over the top and camp sure, but that alone is not the same as being a "joke act" and the same goes for Verka, and Verka differs so much from your average drag act that while it is a drag act, the act does come across as something different, like a pure character and a full package with personality wheres Fruck Destroyers are just a drag act as you expect it to be, it works in Drag Race and gay bars/clubs but hard to take seriously outside of that context tbh.

How can BBC work on that and send Frock Destroyers? If anything that would just enforce the stereotype xshrug

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran
Marie N a drag performance? I think that's pretty far stretched tbh... anyways one of the most bland and forgettable winners of the past 20 years which hardly helps the case :lol:
She performed as a lazy attempt at drag king/cabaret with Victor Victoria teas, not stretched imho. Whether it was bland or not enough camp, not remarkable etc. is another subject.

DQ was basically your average washed up mediocre drag act one could expect to find in some local gay bar in the late 90's/early 00's, which might not have been intentionally meant as a joke act but unintentionally came across as such (but for all the wrong reasons since it wasn't fun at all).
DQ doesn't come across as a joke entry to me. Not intentionally nor unintentionally xthink Just mediocre.
Netta's chicken noises together with the staging. Balagan (and I loved it) xbow Loboda was a joke entry mainly because of the failed production, the team's delusional demands were so laughable that they predictably scrapped everything few weeks before the rehearsals and ended with a well-deserved place. Still trying to figure out the reason behind half-naked Romans, gymnastics, her costume, industrial props and how it goes with the lyrics. Everything looked like a joke to me, like a talent show went wrong :lol:
Verka's song is a joke (not in offensive way). Certain part of the lyrics even borrows few famous (here) lines from a Soviet comedy. Drag is just a part of her multi-talented persona. She's bigger than that. Frock Destroyers aren't even comparable, even combined :ROFLMAO:

How can BBC work on that and send Frock Destroyers? If anything that would just enforce the stereotype xshrug
Send any talented drag or non-drag performers. But not Frock Destroyers. The main issue with the BBC is how they see the contest. It shows how they shape public opinion and how they select the songs/performers. Get in touch with the public.

A-lister

Veteran
She performed as a lazy attempt at drag king/cabaret with Victor Victoria teas, not stretched imho. Whether it was bland or not enough camp, not remarkable etc. is another subject.

I would still say it's far stretched to call it a drag show, more like a middle school performance if anything :lol:. Not irrelevant considering the topic of the discussion wasn't just if there has been any previous drag acts but whether or not they were joke acts/came across as joke acts and whether or not they enforced stereotypes or helped the Eurovision brand.

DQ doesn't come across as a joke entry to me. Not intentionally nor unintentionally xthink Just mediocre.

I never said DQ was a joke act, more that it unintentionally came across as such, but it's of course in the eye of the beholder and subjective in the end of the day, at least it did enforce stereotypes and hardly helped Eurovision in any sense.

Netta's chicken noises together with the staging. Balagan (and I loved it) xbow Loboda was a joke entry mainly because of the failed production, the team's delusional demands were so laughable that they predictably scrapped everything few weeks before the rehearsals and ended with a well-deserved place. Still trying to figure out the reason behind half-naked Romans, gymnastics, her costume, industrial props and how it goes with the lyrics. Everything looked like a joke to me, like a talent show went wrong :lol:
Verka's song is a joke (not in offensive way). Certain part of the lyrics even borrows few famous (here) lines from a Soviet comedy. Drag is just a part of her multi-talented persona. She's bigger than that. Frock Destroyers aren't even comparable, even combined :ROFLMAO:

And that's the thing, there isn't really a "right or wrong" here since what one consider a joke another might not and vice versa. Just like you consider DQ not to be, I don't consider these to be either. For me having a camp or over the top performance is not the same as being a joke act, it's rather the intent of the entry, the concept and how it's packaged and the general perception by the public that ultimately can be used to define it as such and I think none of the above, even Verka which easily could have been perceived as a joke if the package was something different, are joke acts by such factors.

Send any talented drag or non-drag performers. But not Frock Destroyers. The main issue with the BBC is how they see the contest. It shows how they shape public opinion and how they select the songs/performers. Get in touch with the public.

I understand, I thought you argued in favor of Frock Destroyers but now I see it was more a general opinion on drag acts, although Frock Destroyers is pretty much your average drag act and such acts as Verka, that has a unique character and package, is hard to find even in the world of drag which is all technically supposed to be characters.

Mrm

Veteran
@Romeo

And standard anual question! :D

Did you apply for the UK, for Rotterdam 2021? :p

Romeo

@Romeo

And standard anual question! :D

Did you apply for the UK, for Rotterdam 2021? :p

haha no. I'm a fulltime carer now so I cannot commit to travelling anywhere until the vaccine is fully available :cry:

Mrm

Veteran
haha no. I'm a fulltime carer now so I cannot commit to travelling anywhere until the vaccine is fully available :cry:
Oh, do not mention even to me..what will we do, I dunno really, as non EU member, our government will have hard task to provide us vaccines.. :cry:

And at least you have a job, I don't have one, I lost it.. :cry:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
On a less positive note. The London Eurovision Party venue has understandably closed:

EpuDxOEXIAEywR-

That is such a shame that they've had to close. Sadly its the case for many small businesses up and down the country atm... one shop in my town has been around for over a 100 years and is famous in my area and Covid has forced them to shut down. Peoples lives are being ruined in more ways than one.

Romeo

Oh, do not mention even to me..what will we do, I dunno really, as non EU member, our government will have hard task to provide us vaccines.. :cry:

And at least you have a job, I don't have one, I lost it.. :cry:

from what I hear the EU have messed up the vaccine order. So you should be more likely to get it.

I don’t have a job. I care for my mum and Nan on a full time basis

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

Huwchie

If the quality of the song, vocal and staging is up to par with the rest of superior entries over the last 10 years I don’t care if we have drag queens dressed like turkeys.

However Divina is the only frock destroyer who is even worthy of consideration. The other two will be a crash and burn

Top Bottom