Sometimes I know my fire burns low
But as long as you're with me I'll never get cold
'Til day and night, 'til darkness and light
I never worry when you're by my side

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down herе in the ashes, yeah, thеre's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room
Light up the room

You and me forever, we're free
We're cool under pressure, and that's all we need
So take my hand, and forget the past
We're in this together, there's no looking back

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down here in the ashes, yeah, there's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisiam

Not gonna lie, 'UK is in rehab' I think perfectly summarises where it is with the contest at the moment. Its currently trying to go cold turkey from making Eurovision songs that sound like late 2000's XFactor winner's single.

Ianp16

If there is it will be just like with 'Bigger Than Us' where they added that weird seagull sounding thing that was popular in songs like a year or two earlier to trick the audiance into thinking it was vaguely current. But we'll see.

What on earth is this seagull noise that pops up in everything? I don't get it. :LOL::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Edit: I do know what the seagull noise is, I just don't understand it's popular use in almost every pop song for the last 5 years.

Shadowfuxcs

they did take a risk. see electro velvet. but i do think yes it's safe but it's not going to be bottom. middle table is a great result. and the mentality of 'second place is first last place' is not helpful. the UK is in rehab it need to play it safe but competent.
Electro velvet were 6 years ago and it was not a risk, just a bad song. :p
Of course it would not do well so I don't consider that a risk. Countries that take risks this year are Ukraine, Italy, Iceland, etc sending songs out of the beaten track for esc. Meanwhile Malta and Switzerland are leading in the odds with songs that are much better produced, current and memorable that anything the UK has sent in ages. When microstates with less than a million population like Malta, Cyprus and even San Marino are having more impact than the UK in the contest it means it is time for them to self-reflect and try harder.

Last edited:

Chrisiam

Well it was a risk in the sense that it was a niche music style that tried to be more creative with the staging and create a more typical quirky Eurovision novelty act. All things that the UK doesn't really do and hasn't really done since.

Granted the issue was that it was a little too niche was written by someone who wrote theme tunes for BBC TV shows sung by artists for hire and so didn't really have much personality to it, the staging wasn't as creative at it really should have been, and it was trying so hard to be quirky it felt kind of insincere, and sure, it being a crap song too didn't help either. With the right steps it could have done better but didn't because that was still at a time when the BBC was still just throwing anything out there in the hope that something would (almost inexplicitly) become a big hit at the contest without doing the serious leg work to make it so.

But enough about the failures of the past! We'll have plenty of time to talk about them the day after the finals when this ends up falling flat on its face and into the bottom three.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
ElectroVelvet was more painful than Gemini 2003. Just sayin'.

I'd easily pick off key over a straight through and through disaster of a song. I don't think I felt more embarassed by our entry than I did in 2015.

Ianp16

As a eurovision stan, I often ponder what would have happened had Cry Baby been on-key and (at least) a moderate success. Would things have still gone as disastrously downhill for the UK or would we have slowly nose-dived like Germany (with occasional high places or a win)?

I think the last place and 0 points allowed the UK media to brainwash the (basic) british public into thinking 'europe hates us'. I really do think the media and its constant trashing of eurovision have been the main reason we're in this position now.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
As a eurovision stan, I often ponder what would have happened had Cry Baby been on-key and (at least) a moderate success. Would things have still gone as disastrously downhill for the UK or would we have slowly nose-dived like Germany (with occasional high places or a win)?

I think the last place and 0 points allowed the UK media to brainwash the (basic) british public into thinking 'europe hates us'. I really do think the media and its constant trashing of eurovision have been the main reason we're in this position now.

IRAQ WAR !!!!11!!!!

revallsay

James Newman - Embers
I am really shocked about this song. It is nice, cherful and playful, defenitely better than his song from last year. It would be nice if UK got a decent placing with it, but we'll see :)

10/12

DanielLuis

From an outside perspective that seems to be pretty clearly the case. That and the BBC just gave up as well, when they started not only sendig half-assed entries but also treating and promoting the contest as a joke in every way they could (from the commentary to the public image they promote of the contest).
Hope things will slowly change from now own, but it's been too many years in a row of this treatment for the public perception to shift overnight.

MopManMoss

Veteran
This is the least embarrassed i've been about our entry since 2014 (yes 2017 was ok but she couldnt sing without making some really weird faces and hand movements), hopefully this keeps us out the bottom five

theditz83

Veteran
Stan :uk: in the ranking game - we had an awful day for points yesterday, so need to ramp it up over the coming days! Where's all our :dk: fans at? 😄

MAD20

The UK this year is tied with Iceland in 10th place in my ranking this year. I'm really excited to see what James Newman brings to stage this year, but if once again the UK ends up in bottom 5, even with such a good song this is Embers, there'll be almost nothing to do with this country... For example, here in Spain at least we assume we're diving once again in bottom 5 cause our song isn't good, but the UK one definitely is and that MUST be rewarded! These things just happen once in a lifetime :lol:

mauve

Veteran

Speaking to Greatest Hits Radio, James said that he wanted his 2021 entry to resemble the music that could be found in the UK charts at the moment. He said artists like Joel Corry gave him inspiration for “Embers”.

When I was thinking about what song I wanted to write for now I was thinking that we have been through such a rubbish time. I was listening to the British charts thinking ‘What represents the UK in the charts right now?’, and it was all dance music, like Joel Corry. It made sense to do something like that.
– James Newman, speaking to Greatest Hits Radio

In the interview, he also talked about the UK’s Live-on-Tape performance, which he said was recorded three weeks ago on the same stage as the Comic Relief charity telethon. Following the recording, he said that he was able to move forward towards the Rotterdam performance, knowing what he can improve on.

Well, I can understand James' motivation to look at the charts, but I am wondering: is that really what he wants to? Looking at what others do instead of creating music that stands for him? :unsure:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Well, I can understand James' motivation to look at the charts, but I am wondering: is that really what he wants to? Looking at what others do instead of creating music that stands for him? :unsure:

I think maybe you missed the point, it's not copying others but rather creating something that is reflective of our music charts - something that basically every entry except maybe 2011 has neglected to do for over 2 decades. Considering some of his other songs that hes written, I don't think it's much different from his style.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
This is one of the cheapest songs this year.

Top Bottom