Sometimes I know my fire burns low
But as long as you're with me I'll never get cold
'Til day and night, 'til darkness and light
I never worry when you're by my side

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down herе in the ashes, yeah, thеre's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room
Light up the room

You and me forever, we're free
We're cool under pressure, and that's all we need
So take my hand, and forget the past
We're in this together, there's no looking back

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down here in the ashes, yeah, there's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianp16

No offence, this is not an attack on you, but this is literally what I have read every single year since I started viewing these forums, just with a slight variation each time. Nothing will change. All we can do is moan and fantasize.

Edit, this was a responce to ESCConor but I am terribly inept with technology and can't seem to quote his post properly. Sorry, dears. :alien:

Mimmon

Veteran
I am only one who wants James Newman.... He grew on me so much that I consider that I want him back to represent United Kingdom in 2021...
Also I know its impossible but both Newman brothers would be amazing...

Chrisiam

I am only one who wants James Newman.... He grew on me so much that I consider that I want him back to represent United Kingdom in 2021...
Also I know its impossible but both Newman brothers would be amazing...

I'd be totally fine with him doing it next year if he had a better song. If we got both of them with a great song (or at least a better more uptempo one that we know them both for) then sure, bring them back.

Though to be fair at this point I just want a bigger and more uptempo track from the UK almost regardless of act.

Mimmon

Veteran
I'd be totally fine with him doing it next year if he had a better song. If we got both of them with a great song (or at least a better more uptempo one that we know them both for) then sure, bring them back.

Though to be fair at this point I just want a bigger and more uptempo track from the UK almost regardless of act.
Im fine if its is Melfest reject tbh.... But yes I agree even tho My Last Breath was good but needs Modern touch next time... So my dream act for UK 2021 is Newman Brothers...

Chrisiam

I feel that Newman's song sounded modern enough (it at least didn't sound like an X Factor winner's song from the mid-late 2000's which has been a problem with a few of the UK's acts) but my issue with it in hindsight is, well, where do you take it?

As I've said previously I think the song was too complete; it isn't a song you can really rearrange or add an instrumental to or an extra verse or chorus without harming the quality of the song and its not really one that lends itself to the kind of live performance that Eurovision is known for. The vocals can't be made bolder as the song doesn't allow them to, the song cannot be made more stripped back and personal as it makes the song sound more bare and anaemic which would make it get forgotten the moment a more exiting song comes along, and whilst I am sure it would have had interesting staging I have yet to see a single act win or do well off the strength of their staging alone save for Ireland a couple years back but we all know what happened there.

I don't want to sound too negative to Newman or his song as I think its a fine one and in all honesty it at best would likely have done as well as Molly's from a few years back give or take a few places. But I feel that sounding good on the radio, which is what I feel 'Last Breath' did feels like its only a third of the battle. We need something that will also sound great live and be supported by some inspired staging.

And to be honest again, I think that next year we might get the good song both live and recorded but I worry the staging will be as flat as ever.

But hell, we don't even know if the plans are yet so no good to get too disheartened too soon. We can do that next February. Or September if the BBC and BMG go their separate ways.

ESCConor

I feel that Newman's song sounded modern enough (it at least didn't sound like an X Factor winner's song from the mid-late 2000's which has been a problem with a few of the UK's acts) but my issue with it in hindsight is, well, where do you take it?

As I've said previously I think the song was too complete; it isn't a song you can really rearrange or add an instrumental to or an extra verse or chorus without harming the quality of the song and its not really one that lends itself to the kind of live performance that Eurovision is known for. The vocals can't be made bolder as the song doesn't allow them to, the song cannot be made more stripped back and personal as it makes the song sound more bare and anaemic which would make it get forgotten the moment a more exiting song comes along, and whilst I am sure it would have had interesting staging I have yet to see a single act win or do well off the strength of their staging alone save for Ireland a couple years back but we all know what happened there.

I don't want to sound too negative to Newman or his song as I think its a fine one and in all honesty it at best would likely have done as well as Molly's from a few years back give or take a few places. But I feel that sounding good on the radio, which is what I feel 'Last Breath' did feels like its only a third of the battle. We need something that will also sound great live and be supported by some inspired staging.

And to be honest again, I think that next year we might get the good song both live and recorded but I worry the staging will be as flat as ever.

But hell, we don't even know if the plans are yet so no good to get too disheartened too soon. We can do that next February. Or September if the BBC and BMG go their separate ways.

I believe BMG said the deal with the BBC is a long term agreement, makes you wonder whether the BBC are looking to give emerging artists who are already with the record label the chance to represent the UK at Eurovision.

Chrisiam

I feel like that was the plan this time around; BMG used/intended to use the contest as a spring board to launch a new talent into the limelight, to boost their profile, get their music known and sell their single/album to the widest possible audience.

Lets be blunt, they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their heart, its a business decision. And as such they are only going to put forwards acts that best represent their label.

The question however is, how much say did/does the BBC have in who is finally selected? Does BMG bring forwards a final five that execs' at the Beeb go through to get an act they want? Or does BMG select the act and the BBC just has to pretend to like it? Or does BMG select the act and a handful of songs for them and then the BBC selects the song the want?

Because I mean, having BMG involved is all well and good but I worry that they may well find a great act for the UK only for the BBC to turn around and go "EWWWW! Thats too... risky. We want somethings safer, someone who is a good singer, with a song that everyone can enjoy! A love song! Everyone loves a love song! Oh! And does the writer have any experience writing for Eurovision?! You can't have us represented by a song that was written by someone who hasn't won before!! How about something like Michael Rice? He is a big talent you know, we discovered him, he'll become a big name, eventually, he'd have won it if Europe didn't hate us, the racists"

ESCConor

I feel like that was the plan this time around; BMG used/intended to use the contest as a spring board to launch a new talent into the limelight, to boost their profile, get their music known and sell their single/album to the widest possible audience.

Lets be blunt, they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their heart, its a business decision. And as such they are only going to put forwards acts that best represent their label.

The question however is, how much say did/does the BBC have in who is finally selected? Does BMG bring forwards a final five that execs' at the Beeb go through to get an act they want? Or does BMG select the act and the BBC just has to pretend to like it? Or does BMG select the act and a handful of songs for them and then the BBC selects the song the want?

Because I mean, having BMG involved is all well and good but I worry that they may well find a great act for the UK only for the BBC to turn around and go "EWWWW! Thats too... risky. We want somethings safer, someone who is a good singer, with a song that everyone can enjoy! A love song! Everyone loves a love song! Oh! And does the writer have any experience writing for Eurovision?! You can't have us represented by a song that was written by someone who hasn't won before!! How about something like Michael Rice? He is a big talent you know, we discovered him, he'll become a big name, eventually, he'd have won it if Europe didn't hate us, the racists"

I believe it was actually BMG who chose James Newman as the entry, not the BBC themselves.

EscUKFan

Tonight I’m feeling like we should send a DANCE ANTHEM o_O

ESCConor

A dance anthem could work, its just about finding a singer who suits the genre and who slays live on stage.

Question is though is whether Europe would support it? With BMG promoting the song it could chart highly in Europe and the UK, thats the litmus test as to how it will fair when it comes to the televote.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran

YES!! The UK has some very successful dance producers that have had great success over recent years (e.g. Jax Jones, Calvin Harris etc.) and they could easily team up with the likes of Foxes or Jess Glynne (both from the BMG stable, and both having previous dance smashes with Zedd and Clean Bandit respectively).

For me, that's a style that the UK does VERY well with in this day and age, and I think it would have good crossover appeal in many other European countries.

But once again, it will always come down to the key question - who has the time and desire to take part in Eurovision if they already have success here? That's why we will mostly always end up with relative unknowns or has-beens looking to relive past glories. Song is key, but the charisma and stage presence of the artist can also work wonders ;)

EscUKFan

YES!! The UK has some very successful dance producers that have had great success over recent years (e.g. Jax Jones, Calvin Harris etc.) and they could easily team up with the likes of Foxes or Jess Glynne (both from the BMG stable, and both having previous dance smashes with Zedd and Clean Bandit respectively).

For me, that's a style that the UK does VERY well with in this day and age, and I think it would have good crossover appeal in many other European countries.

But once again, it will always come down to the key question - who has the time and desire to take part in Eurovision if they already have success here? That's why we will mostly always end up with relative unknowns or has-beens looking to relive past glories. Song is key, but the charisma and stage presence of the artist can also work wonders ;)
I’d have Jess Glyne if they impose a dress code.

ESCConor

Not Adult Eurovision related, but theres rumours of the BBC doing Junior Eurovision this year according to some.

This is what a source from the BBC said.

"The decision has simply not been made quite yet. The best advice I could offer for now would be to keep an eye on the official Junior Eurovision website or our own BBC Media Centre website for updates on this, I assure you once a decision has been reached it will be posted on these sites, first of all"

Heres the Link to the Article

If the UK did participate at JESC and then won, I wonder what impact it would have on the image of the Adult Contest in the UK? Perhaps it could be a gamechanger.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Anything we've had to do with JESC has been through ITV, so from the BBC it would be totally new. That said I don't think people would care tbh. The same year we come last with 0 in ESC we come 3rd in JESC, infact we did really well, just people never watched it. Also If the UK joined then Scotland and Wales would surely have to withdraw. Really if we joined I don't think it would impact on anything with ESC a great deal.

ESCConor

Anything we've had to do with JESC has been through ITV, so from the BBC it would be totally new. That said I don't think people would care tbh. The same year we come last with 0 in ESC we come 3rd in JESC, infact we did really well, just people never watched it. Also If the UK joined then Scotland and Wales would surely have to withdraw. Really if we joined I don't think it would impact on anything with ESC a great deal.

I think it goes back to the Eurovision Brand itself. if we win even if its on the Junior version, it might give some sort of confidence for the BBC to go for it on the adult version.

We know how unpopular ESC is with the British Public, so maybe this is a interesting idea that could help build the brand up more in the UK and perhaps change peoples perceptions of the contest.

I know JESC is growing and the UK could be a good place for it to grow into.

Chrisiam

I honestly wouldn't mind if the UK (or England given that Wales and Scotland are in/looking to join it) returned to Junior Eurovision. Honestly I am kind of surprised that the BBC is looking to do that and not ITV; given how they've increased their own coverage of the adult contest, the fact they do The Voice Kids, and how the Britain's Got Talent The Champions (Or whatever the heck that shower was called) was presented its felt like ITV has been softly introducing its viewership to the idea of bringing back the Junior version or at the very least opening the door to take over the contest in the event the BBC are no longer able to do it for one reason or another.

The main reason why ITV dropped their coverage was due to viewership being too low for them, which kind of makes sense; I watched the first year they did it (It was the first time I saw anything to do with Eurovision), if I remember correctly there wasn't much in the way of promotion for the contest in the lead up to it nor was there much hype either (Not even, adverts during their children's television broadcasting blocks) it was just there one night. I can understand why it might not have gotten as much as a push as it likely otherwise would have done given what else happened to the UK at the adult contest that year, so possibly they were worried about opening any still fresh wounds and opening up the broadcaster to criticism in the event it all went south.

Second year they did it it was moved to ITV 2, again broadcast with no fan fair or promotion, at a time when that station was still new and considerably fewer people had access to it than they do now and the viewing figures were even worse and then after the third year they dropped it.

I feel that there would be more of an appetite to watch it this time around, more people in the UK seem interested in Eurovision as a whole now than they did back then and I can easily see the BBC using its National Selection more like its own version of The Voice Kids.

In the event that the UK/England did well at the contest or, heck, even won it I don't feel as though that in and of itself would change people's perceptions of the main contest (there might be a viewing figure bump), though if anything were to change it would just be people asking "So, why can't we get these kinds of results for the main contest?" And asking questions of the BBC's handling of the kid's version verses the adult version. I can't see the whole nation turning around on Eurovision off the back of a good result at the Junior contest. Might improve things, but it won't be a big change.

Chrisiam

It'll be sung by an artist whose name will be announced/leaked before the song reveal, we'll all get excited because its an act that usually does upbeat and high tempo tracks and we'll all think that this'll be the year that we get a fun and exciting track. Then it'll be revealed and we'll find they are just singing 'Bigger Than Us III'.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Nah, we can do better than a Swedish import. We have enough of our own musicians that we don't need that. Moving on is a great Melfest hit, but no thanks.

Top Bottom