Sometimes I know my fire burns low
But as long as you're with me I'll never get cold
'Til day and night, 'til darkness and light
I never worry when you're by my side

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down herе in the ashes, yeah, thеre's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room
Light up the room

You and me forever, we're free
We're cool under pressure, and that's all we need
So take my hand, and forget the past
We're in this together, there's no looking back

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down here in the ashes, yeah, there's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
I am afraid that the :uk: may want to troll the contest next year a la :ie: 2008 with their Dustin the Turkey.

I would love Jack Savoretti to represent :uk: next year, he's a good artist. And it is not outside the realm of possibility like Adel or Dua Lipa etc.

Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
@musicfan But to me it's exactly what makes Italian entries in esc interesting: they represent the popular music in the country. In France outside of Bilal Hasani (who already had a teenagers fanbase) contestants of Destination Eurovision and the 2021 selection were no-names, former the voice contestants or people who were famous decades ago (Chimene Badi, Emmanuel Moire). So even if we individually may like or not our entries, it doesn't really represent what is aired on French radio stations or Spotify.
It is not easy to win San Remo, you have to get through multiple stages, there is a lot of artists competing, you need to have the support of musical critics. It is very different than how Germany, Spain or UK select their entries even if they have a NF.

Last edited:

musicfan

I am afraid that the :uk: may want to troll the contest next year a la :ie: 2008 with their Dustin the Turkey.
You mean the BBC. I know people love flags on Eurovision forums but it really isn't as political as people think/want. It makes as much sense having the logos of broadcasters. They will enter whatever they want, or give whatever choice they want to whoever views a selection show and that's it. Songs only represent the broadcasters who pick them, the performers/composers/team behind it and those who like the song.

I haven't decided which particular song most represents me this year yet, I like to let the songs sink in for a while and see what lasts for me.

GWTW1939

I've been following events without posting for a number of years but I feel like I have to break that so I can express how shocked I am by how horribly the UK entry was staged. The whole thing looked like a middle school talent show performance created in someone's garage/backyard.

1. Those stupid trumpets. The most worthless and pointless props in ESC history?
2.. Why was the stage so dark? The colors should have been bright and vibrant. The lights should have been far more active too.
3. James clothes. Even the Ferrero Rocher costume he wore in a rehearsal was better xscared
4. James wrote a pretty nice song and seems to be a nice guy but he is not a good performer. But those who saw any performance of his ballad (entry from last year) would have known this. Too bad they couldn't get SuRie to do it she would have knocked it out of the park :lol:
5. Those "backing dancers"....good god they were terrible (not their fault though). James is not the most charismatic or active performer so they should have been picking up the slack but their moves were low in energy and total cringe. Their interaction with him was non-existent, why? Why were they all dressed conservative and in white and not in something fun and colorful? Why no girls? The less said about those stupid instruments and their fake playing the better. If they weren't doing complicated dance moves why weren't they doing backing vocals to give the song more punch?

True the song wasn't all that, but it wasn't D.O.A. and there was a strong potential there to uplift it to become more with some creative staging and a committed performance by James and crew. A number of entries were saved by the staging and "Embers" could have been one of them. If they had done that they could have easily finished mid-table and match Lucie's 15th. Honestly, in my personal opinion, all the songs that finished after Russia (9th) were in play for the UK to beat if they had truly committed and that's what really sucks about it. The lack of energy at all levels was appalling.

GWTW1939

What world do you live in
that was a small joke because I always see people elsewhere online saying the BBC should ask SuRie back and that she was one of the best performers the UK had in recent years. Or maybe they just confuse her performing ability with her great off stage UK ESC ambassador persona.

But either way James was just not a good performer. He was too stiff and self conscious looking (but I would too if dressed in those clothes) and never connected. The interesting thing was if you look at all the acts in the top 9 they were all kind of theatrical in one way or another. The UK's best two results (Jade and Lucie) were pretty theatrical as well. Maybe that's some kind of hint I don't know.

Lance Esgard

Yeah her own entry was bad. I see her having potential in her for what she could deliver in future, but I wouldn't want her to be internally selected. If she took part in a national selection that I support because if her entry wasn't good then she shouldn't be picked (and if she is anyway due to a weak pool of candidates that isn't on her and would be part of broader issues regarding Eurovision where the UK is concerned).

hawadharma

Too many people are rewriting history on SuRie she was bland and wasnt good on her own either, she was great as a backing singer for belgium though have to give her that
Hi, can I know on what basis UK chose the ESC entries

MopManMoss

Veteran
2011 - 2015 was internal selection
2016 - 2019 was national finals not open to anyone and people are given songs rather than be able to perform their own song
2019 - present has been internal selection again

Its a mess

spinachpie

BBC finally admitting what we all know. That they don’t take the competition seriously.
E2aVnf0WEAoCI-G

That's a member of the audience asking, not the BBC.

In any case, the question makes no sense. The first part of the question intimates that the voting was the reason for UK doing so badly, yet the second part suggests the entry was just bad.

Chrisiam

Apparently we will not be getting their Live-On-Tape because they "want the live performance they delivered in Rotterdam to be the version that people remember". 💀💀

The Live-On-Tape has to be really bad if they want people to remember the GF performance 😬😁
Or the Live-On-Tape didn't have the trumpets, and the only way anyone gets any enjoyment from the performance is the trumpets, that is why the UK didn't get negative points. So next year, more trumpets. Regardless of if there are trumpets in the song or not, trumpets.

Its the only logical take away that the BBC will take from this, MORE TRUMPETS!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
BBC finally admitting what we all know. That they don’t take the competition seriously.
E2aVnf0WEAoCI-G

My god I saw that last night on TV, i heard Eurovision and stopped to watch. I so wish I was on it last night so I could tell it how it is or rather not watched it at all because it was painful as hell. Audience members saying we always come last with 0 so why bother, Iceland should have won, might as well send Cliff Richard again, its all just crazy fun entertainment. Your typical run of the mill nonsense.

GWTW1939

I suppose they don't want to show the Live-on-Tape cause it will just give people another reason to criticize how awful the staging ended up being. They want people to move on and forget it. It's already dead so why revive it all.

Instert Simpsons "Stop it, he's already dead!" gif

GWTW1939

I still can't believe it couldn't even muster a single jury point.

Even Germany got 3 with their joke act. And even worse they wanted to put allround car crash Romania in the final but the UK, 0.

Chrisiam

Joking aside, the only reasons I can think of for them not using the Live-On-Tape is if there is a marked difference in the quality of James's performance (Its better or worse than at the finals) or that the staging was different to what we got at the finals and they don't want anyone saying what they had at the Live-On-Tape was better.

The BBC's response to a bad Eurovision result is always the same; deflect from their errors and blame someone else, ideally the other nations or slag off the contest itself by proxy (putting forwards segments like the one above in Question Time as well as get commentators on air to support the company's aim without knowing it.

The problem they have however is that strategy is working less and less. More people are watching the contest and seeing the quality of the acts there in; gone are the days of people dressed like garden gnomes and rapping space men, now are songs and acts with a sound on par with what they listen to at home and what the BBC broadcasts on their Radio stations.

And increasingly we see less people, broadcasters, journalists doing the whole "They hate us bit" and more so blaming the BBC.

So sooner or later something has to give because if it doesn't then the BBC could find themselves having their results in the contest being used against them in the future. Its only damaging their own reputation. And it is plainly obvious the ITV are chomping at the bit to take over the contest. So the BBC needs to stop acting like they know best and that they can just continue to screw around with this forever, because the way things are going they are only going to end up handing one of their biggest shows off to another broadcaster and it will be no one else's fault but their own.

Top Bottom