7 5.0%

6 4.3%

7 5.0%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
United-Kingdom-scaled.jpg

AliceEsc

Ok, so.. UK won the battle with Germany for me!
I think I was a little harsh at first, but I find it warmy and cosy and sweet and I'm upgrading to 7.

Uto

Veteran
I'm not impressed. It's a somewhat entertaining song, but it doesn't go places. Highly unoriginal and melodically it's not particularly strong. Don't see this ending well for the UK. Who will vote for this? Still miles above France though.

Ianp16

So. The verdict you've all been waiting for, luvvies!!! Here we go...

1. Middle of the road.
  2. Nice voice.
  3. Sounds something that would have been fresh 10 years ago.
  4. Sounds like a rehashed, more authentic version of last year's entry.
  5. Another bland entry.
  6. Another mid-tempo "anthem". (How many times do British media say that a successful Eurovision song needs to be an "anthem"? :sick:
  7. Another song that is cool, nice to listen to but you'll forget in an instant.
  8. I understand this is a 'step in the right direction', but it's ended with a similar result.
  9. This will place bottom 5 UNLESS there's some groovy, charismatic, gravity-defying, skin tingling moment on stage.
  10. It's "Okay". And we all know "Okay" for the UK in Eurovision does not and will not get votes.

Chrisiam

Yeah it was trending at number 1 a couple hours ago. And since the time I saw and posted about that it has gained 150k views. There is a good chance that by it reaches 24 hours after its release it will gain almost half as many views as last years entry's reveal video got in a year in only 24 hours. Not saying this means it will do gang busters at the finals but its heartening to see it getting a healthy amount of views at this point.

Also, I do hope BMG are in it for the long term, I'd hate for them to get the boot after only one entry because this one doesn't win it on their first time out with us.

Alaska49

"Can James Newman beat her? No. Shaj is an early favourite amongst Eurovision-watchers, and looks set for a top five finish. "
What.
shaj fans being such unbearable pests that they successfully hoodwinked this poor intern who probably perused the fandom for a few minutes and went "well, these gays can't shut up about this one, there's no way it flops, right?" xheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
shaj fans being such unbearable pests that they successfully hoodwinked this poor intern who probably perused the fandom for a few minutes and went "well, these gays can't shut up about this one, there's no way it flops, right?" xheart

As one of those fans, my only comment is xheat xheat xheat xheat

DanielLuis

Seems BMG is in this for the long term and not for the short term.

I really hope that's true, even if James flops in Rotterdam. They can't expect to get everything right on the "1st try", that doesn't always happen.
I think this entry is definitely a step in the right direction. It's more current and professional that the last few entries combined (bar 2017). Nevertheless it's still too safe, too middle ofthe road and by the numbers of what BBC (and the British media in general) seem to think is an ideal Eurovision entry. I think a bottom 6 result is pretty possible if the staging isn't done right.

By the way I don't get why the British media has that idea that Eurovision entries must be anthemic middle of the road ballads. It's like these people haven't watched a single ESC in the last 20 years.

musicfan

Noah fence but that is very Brexit-minded of you, as if Eurovision is just something you should gain by from your own country competing. If you don't care about other entries other than your own, Eurovision isn't really the competition for you to watch. A true Eurovision fan should be able to watch a show in which their own country isn't competing and still be nearly as enthusiastic

Most Eurovision fans all over Eurovision area are concerned more about their own broadcaster's entry than other songs. You see that in threads here too, often people from particular places reside largely in threads of their own country. I'm not like that at all, but it does irk when people throw in political remarks in the thread, it simply justifies what many people already think the contest is about.

Chrisiam

I really hope that's true, even if James flops in Rotterdam. They can't expect to get everything right on the "1st try", that doesn't always happen.
I think this entry is definitely a step in the right direction. It's more current and professional that the last few entries combined (bar 2017). Nevertheless it's still too safe, too middle of the road and by the numbers of what BBC (and the British media in general) seem to think is an ideal Eurovision entry. I think a bottom 6 result is pretty possible if the staging isn't done right.

By the way I don't get why the British media has that idea that Eurovision entries must be anthemic middle of the road ballads. It's like these people haven't watched a single ESC in the last 20 years.

Well the BBC seems to have the feeling that only ballads can win/are suitable because they are A) Easier to digest and package for casual listeners and if it is done for a national finals it helps with whatever storyline for the singer they are trying to cook B) They have less chance to be 'embarrassing' as whenever they try something more upbeat ("Cry Cry Baby", "Even if", "That Sounds Good to Me" and "Still in Love with You") It goes down like a lead balloon both at home and at the contest (though those songs being crap might have something to do with it) and C) They seem to be and have been operating under the mindset that the only way to win is with a song that pleases the Juries which a ballad can do certainly for a technical level and those technically acquired points will be easier to comprehend than say trying to make an up tempo pop song or GASP a song with dancing and staging!

Which, you know, as we all know by now the only way to win is to please both the Televote and the Juries, you can't win without decent support from both, so even if this song was universally loved by everyone here and out there on the night, if the Juries don't dig it, it an't going nowhere and would likely end up like Lake Malawi only with the scores for each reversed.

In other news; Youtube update! 24 hours after the song went live it has broke 467k views and is still trending #2 on Youtube from last night. If it keeps up at this current rate then it could beat the reveal video from last year in only a matter of days verses seemingly the year it took the last one to break 800k. Which sure, may not amount to much in the end (and I am sure that Russia and Sweden will break that figure in about 12 hours or fewer the moment their songs are revealed) but I'd like to think at the very least it shows that, contrary to popular belief, it has someone backing it, even if it is just Newman pressing refresh every 2 minuets to get the figures up.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm starting to fall for this kind of hard. I guess I've never really known just what it's like as a Eurovision fan to feel a sense of pride. Perhaps that has something to do with it, as for the first time in I don't know how many years I'm not embarrassed by the song we're sending. I'm not frustrated this time by what always felt like intentional incompetence.

I'm getting the warm and fuzzies whenever I go back to My Last Breath, amplified if I experience the music video with it. The production is so lovely. I can't fault it. My soft spot keeps getting softer and softer. This song wasn't meant for me but somehow I'm letting it in so easily.

Chrisiam

I'm starting to fall for this kind of hard. I guess I've never really known just what it's like as a Eurovision fan to feel a sense of pride. Perhaps that has something to do with it, as for the first time in I don't know how many years I'm not embarrassed by the song we're sending. I'm not frustrated this time by what always felt like intentional incompetence.

I'm getting the warm and fuzzies whenever I go back to My Last Breath, amplified if I experience the music video with it. The production is so lovely. I can't fault it. My soft spot keeps getting softer and softer. This song wasn't meant for me but somehow I'm letting it in so easily.

A think at this point its like a form a Stockholm syndrome; so long as it doesn't sound terrible and so long as we don't end up in the bottom 5 its a win for us! Winning? Coming in the top 5? Top 10? Top 15? Nope! Highest we can get is 20 baby! Just be glad it isn't Gemma Collins or whoever!

We have to temper our expectations so much that we have to have our fingers crossed that we don't get another stage invader!

Thats how low the bar has been set for us, that anything that resembles an actual song and not Simon Cowell's most recent musical bowl movement gives us a spark of hope that we'll actually make it to the lofty heights of 21st!

Last edited:

wtf

People are too harsh on it. Yes it's nothing innovative for ESC fans but general public does not care about what UK sent before. The song is catchy, beautiful and stands out. Probably the strongest entry after 2011 and will likely score high with the juries and do decently with televoters as well. Good job!

Charly

When you listen to this more and more over the time, especially the chorus part

''If we were deep-sea divers
And no one came to find us
If you had nothing left
''

It actually get stuck in the head which makes me wanting to enjoy the song more and more and easily to rmemeber.

Not sure others gets the similar feelings but it is certainly in the right step to start rejuvenating UK.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I keep hearing "if we were Dixie divers" xrollinglol

Yeah didn't you know the BBC is aiming to win that American Deep South vote come May.

Top Bottom