• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
gb.png

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Re: UNITED KINGDOM 2019

Adele ft. Ed Sheeran or riot. Expecting the world and more because it's the UK and we are always firing hits at esc. :rolleyes:

EscGeek

Veteran

I'm all for a big name, but please, let it be someone i'm a fan of for example (random order)

Anne-Marie
Dua Lipa
Tinie Tempah
Calvin Harris
Marina and the Diamonds
John Newman
Coldplay
Muse
Rita Ora
Charli XCX
Hurts
Jessie J
Lily Allen
Jess Glynne

but most importantly...
:cool:

Fluke

I assume you will have a public selection again, but why are the entries all so old-fashioned? What's keeping them from trying anything more contemporary?

Sean

Admin
Staff member

I think the EYD format has had a few solid years now, enough to kick on with the next step of the progression plan. Time to get BBC Introducing/Radio 1 to select a few of the participants. How about this?

2 songs = BBC Introducing / Radio 1
2 songs = Record labels
2 songs = Maybe internet voting/online portal?

0 songs = OGAE, let's reduce any chances of bland trash winning in 2019 xrose

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

I think the EYD format has had a few solid years now, enough to kick on with the next step of the progression plan. Time to get BBC Introducing/Radio 1 to select a few of the participants. How about this?

2 songs = Record labels

It's always makes me wonder how a radio 1 DJ can be so deeply involved in eurovision yet there is absolutely 0 involvement of Radio 1 in picking songs or even promoting our entry or the contest at all. That needs desperately rectifying. Also with BBC Introducing, they used that in 2014 with Molly if i'm not wrong? Why stop? and why does the delegation completely ignore their very own platform of talented musicians? or something like 'Sounds Like Friday Night' even, another BBC product.

Quality has increased since our 2016 NF but it's increasing at such a small rate that it is almost not noticeable at all. If countries like Latvia and France can flip a switch in a year and change things, then there is no reason we can't. I agree with what you say, OGAE UK and their bland generic taste needs to go and I'd prefer none of these song writing camps with Danish songwriters and flop esc musicians. Record Labels and Radio 1 need a lot more involvement in the selection, and that is proper record labels not a label that's produced 0 success or is now defunct. Also, they really need to reveal the split voting.

Jeansy

Obligatory send Adele/Ed Sheeran/Liam Gallagher/Other Famous Person post.

theditz83

Veteran

2 songs = Record labels

I love this suggestion! Echo every single suggestion that you've put forward here, this year's EYD selection was far better than the first year, but we need to keep pushing for that killer song that really instantly hook casual viewers. Something with impact, that maybe pushes some boundaries without being too out there, and most importantly something that isn't cheesy as heck! xpray

BernadetteCydonia

Oh holy hell I'd DIE for it to happen - but since they're more of a pro-live-playing band, I'd think they'd never ever set their foot on it. Not even if they get to know that the vocals can at least be done live. Well yeah but otherwise we'd be getting something like this:

(on an unrelated note, AWS acknowledged the fact Muse did this kind of trick once when being asked about if they themselves would do something like that since Eurovision is a playback show save for vocals. I cannot remember the interview anymore but yeah, it was somewhere out there)

So maybe actually I'd love for Matt to try out WRITING a Eurovision-like song instead of having to perform one himself. Something à la "Soaked" perhaps? Or if they're allowed to, do a live interval act if UK ever gets to host Eurovision again... that'd be fun. :D The song doesn't necessarily need to be Eurovision-interval-act tailored just like their song for the 2012 Olympics though, so yeah :]

Also, you mentioned Hurts. How many years is this rumour and wishing going on for them to go to Eurovision? And imo their songs have gotten more and more likeable so I'd also die for them in Eurovision xheart

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

My main request is that all songs and decisions are kept at least 100 miles from OGAE at all times. Our OGAE has just awful taste.

BernadetteCydonia

I'm shocked that you didn't mention "Knights Of Cydonia":mrgreen:

is it cuz of my nick xd

I mentioned Soaked cuz that is the only song of Muse that was passed on to someone else to officially sing it (Adam Lambert).

grazy2266

My main request is that all songs and decisions are kept at least 100 miles from OGAE at all times. Our OGAE has just awful taste.

Oh i second this totally...........

dcs34

If she's up for it, I reckon there's more than a decent chance we'll be sending SuRie again, so she can have her 'proper' Eurovision moment.

This also gives the BBC a great excuse to shake the format up a bit and make the NF about song selection rather than picking the artist. Cos let's face it, the performers for the last 3/4 years haven't been the problem, it's the songs they've been lumbered with.

NeonProject

If she's up for it, I reckon there's more than a decent chance we'll be sending SuRie again, so she can have her 'proper' Eurovision moment.

This also gives the BBC a great excuse to shake the format up a bit and make the NF about song selection rather than picking the artist. Cos let's face it, the performers for the last 3/4 years haven't been the problem, it's the songs they've been lumbered with.

I completely agree.

The HUGE issue with our selection format now is the poor songs great artists keep being lumbered with.

I was really hoping (before YD) that we'd go for something similar to 'The Hit' in Ireland. Giving a bit more focus on the songwriter as well as the performer.

MyHeartIsYours

Let's be honest it's going to be Rylan at some point in time. I have a feeling that this year might have been all about preparing him...

Although I guess it is worth remembering that he is more tv presenter than singer these days.

sea78

Sam Smith would be ideal I think and Adele would win simply by turning up.

But we have to be realistic, these are mega names in global music, as much as we love Eurovision these guys have no need for Eurovision.

Imagine if Sam Smith represented us in 2019 and didnt win. It would be a humiliation for him to lose to someone who may have never had a single hit when he has won grammys and I understand that.

More realistically I think we need to be more daring and do something different next year. Its not about the artist so much but the song. We have consistently been sending boring "safe" songs for the past 10 years or so (exception being 2017 & 2014). We need a risk next year. Something uniqe like what Israel and Estonia did this year.

What ever the genre it will be..... it will have to be very different for us to start scoring big again.

Top Bottom