31 10.3%

17 5.6%

8 2.6%

14 4.6%

7 2.3%

17 5.6%

• Total voters

evija87

I think the biggest problem with X-factor, Star Academy, The Voice is that in most of those shows there are talented people, but they sing covers all the time, then win and there is no concept for future, no musical style. They're like karaoke contests, with few exceptions. Reproducing, not creating. In Poland we had few years ago Kamil Bednarek phenomenon, but he went to "Poland Got Talent" with clear goal: to promote himself and his reggae band, not just to show up randomly. They already had their own material and thanks to the fact he was finalst (2nd place if I remember well, lost to 12yo.... :|) made real career and benefit from participation in such show. There is point in participating when one has their each own style, reggae, opera, rock doesn't matter and they already have their goals set. Many people who don't know what they want go to such show and then after that are forgotten after "5 minutes of fame".

Of course UK can pick someone from talent show, but they must remember to take care of GREAT: composer, producers!!! and lyrycist too so we don't get another What if, My time and Shine(2010) "masterpieces". It would be good if they can look for someone that has their own repertoir, don't have to be a winner, but someone great with their own style that could be helped by top proffesionals. I'm afraid no current star will compete for same reasons as in Poland, the ESC reputation is really screwed.

Terry

Of course UK can pick someone from talent show, but they must remember to take care of GREAT: composer, producers!!! and lyrycist too so we don't get another What if, My time and Shine(2010) "masterpieces". It would be good if they can look for someone that has their own repertoir, don't have to be a winner, but someone great with their own style that could be helped by top proffesionals. I'm afraid no current star will compete for same reasons as in Poland, the ESC reputation is really screwed.

Nothing wrong with those type of songs, evija. All three of those songs ended up in the top five so these style of songs seem to do well. it seems. People like these kind of songs and its these kind of songs what pick up votes.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I think the biggest problem with X-factor, Star Academy, The Voice is that in most of those shows there are talented people, but they sing covers all the time, then win and there is no concept for future, no musical style. They're like karaoke contests, with few exceptions. Reproducing, not creating. In Poland we had few years ago Kamil Bednarek phenomenon, but he went to "Poland Got Talent" with clear goal: to promote himself and his reggae band, not just to show up randomly. They already had their own material and thanks to the fact he was finalst (2nd place if I remember well, lost to 12yo.... :|) made real career and benefit from participation in such show. There is point in participating when one has their each own style, reggae, opera, rock doesn't matter and they already have their goals set. Many people who don't know what they want go to such show and then after that are forgotten after "5 minutes of fame".

You're right, these shows are basically glorified karaoke. I imagine a lot of people that go on these shows as well are naive as to what actually happens to them which is another problem.. The programmes (at least over here) are utter manipulation. The contestants are the puppets. The puppeteer does as he pleases and then disposes of the puppets at any given moment.

Will Young was someone over here who got away lightly from his experience. He won the first ever Pop Idol when the concept was rather new and exciting. Over the years he's managed to distance himself from the show. Anyone serious about themselves today though should know better. The shows are just everything music shouldn't be about. If we ever did get someone from one of these contests i'd rather they not be just fresh off it. Someone who's at least had a few years as an artist would be preferable if they must send a talent show contestant.

evija87

Nothing wrong with those type of songs, evija. All three of those songs ended up in the top five so these style of songs seem to do well. it seems. People like these kind of songs and its these kind of songs what pick up votes.

Don't get my wrong, I like or very much like those songs, I'm writing about the lyrics which are so Eurovision-ish that it hurts (me :p ). If those songs had better message or at least their message would be expressed in more metaphorical way, I'd have loved them, but when you hear for a x1000 time those well-worn cliches it just makes me less enthusiastic about the song and instead of loving I just like or accept them.

HarryUK

Veteran
I actually loved Believe In Me so much it was one of my favourites
then she performed it live................ :oops:

Hunter

She did good on that night, but her voice was raspy. But the backup singers save it.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

This would have been a much better song to choose from her album. :?

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: UNITED KINGDOM 2013

And the majority of the people on here have absolutely no clue whatsoever. It is like listening to children talking about Jane McDonald being a legend and calling "Love will set you free" the worst song in Eurovision 2012. Some people don't actually think before they speak utter drivel on these forums. Some of you are so used to hearing the crap that you don't even react when someone is talking complete bollocks.

I just wandered in here, and I hate to necropost (lol no I don't), but...

xheat xheat xheat xheat xheat

ESC94

Well, I really like some of the older songs by Bonnie Tyler like "Total Eclipse of the Heart", but with her participation in 2013 she really didn´t do herself any favour. :(

She sang this really dull ballad which could also have been written in the 90s, and sadly you could really hear that her voice was in a terrible shape, especially at the beginning. She reminded me of someone who already had too many drinks trying to sing karaoke, it was really painful!!

So even with all my sympathy for her, I could give this trainwreck only :2:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom