Contact us

UNITED KINGDOM 2010 - Josh Dubovie - That Sounds Good to Me

how do you rate the entry?

• Total voters

Andalublue

Re: UNITED KINGDOM - United Kingdom 2010

Just a question. When was the last time the UK entered a singer-songwriter? Someone who wrote and performed their own song and not just a singing puppet? ....OK Andy Abrahams and Daz Sampson. That's what I'd like to see, not another ALW (poor man's Simon Cowell act) pretending that we are taking it seriously when we're really just using it to keep our name on the telly, not having written anything successful for 15 years.

MrJadeEwen

Andalublue said:
Just a question. When was the last time the UK entered a singer-songwriter? Someone who wrote and performed their own song and not just a singing puppet? ....OK Andy Abrahams and Daz Sampson. That's what I'd like to see, not another ALW (poor man's Simon Cowell act) pretending that we are taking it seriously when we're really just using it to keep our name on the telly, not having written anything successful for 15 years.

:shock: singing puppet or not. Jade had an amazing voice which was a complete contrast to Andy Abraham who kinda failed in all respects. in contrast, last year was the first time we took it seriously. you can hardly say that the NF in 2008 was serious. it was a lame excuse for John Barrowman to select the entry himself. and talking of ALW not being successful WTF :shock: :shock: :shock: he's the best songwriter the UK have ever sent. To the keeping our name comment the UK hardly needs eurovision to showcase that we are a country, its a bit of musical fun. if you really wanna go back to the MYMU days you may, but it was the worst selection ever. :?

94ayd

I still don't get what was so bad about Andy and his song. Better than Jade's, that's for sure. Of course, Jade's better but as I've already mentioned, not the song...

Milos-BC

Andy's song wasn't that bad, but it was weak for ESC. I think Andy needed a much stronger entry than that.

TF100

Does this mean the past 23609823 weeks of "there might be some news about some news about some news at some point, or maybe not" will finally be over?

MrJadeEwen

according to twitter yeh
bbceurovision: I can feel an announcement coming on... sometime later today!

however i can feel doesn't mean 100% ... :/

TF100

After this it'd be even more pointless if it's just Gary Barlow seeing as we knew about that in October :lol: wouldn't surprise me though!

Kirkland

Latest twitter
"@ChrisKirklandGB @BBCEntsTeam We're just waiting for the final yes or no to publish today from the Press Office..."

TF100

Who wants to bet it'll be a no :roll:

TF100

Nothing in this weeks' press release so it's very unlikely it'll be today. BBC Events Team's twitter is actually more useful than the BBC Eurovision one, they've stated " (unofficially, we've been told it could be tomorrow)" 2 hours ago so it seems certain it won't be today. Interestingly a previous tweet says "There's a rumour we'll find out who's representing the UK at Eurovision this week. Some fans think it'll be "the Barlow". We're not so sure." so perhaps it will be more of a surprise after all...

MrJadeEwen

BBC will announce the composer of the UK's 2010 early on Friday 29th Jan

-.- boring

Andalublue

muffin said:
Andalublue said:

:shock: singing puppet or not. Jade had an amazing voice which was a complete contrast to Andy Abraham who kinda failed in all respects. in contrast, last year was the first time we took it seriously. you can hardly say that the NF in 2008 was serious. it was a lame excuse for John Barrowman to select the entry himself. and talking of ALW not being successful WTF :shock: :shock: :shock: he's the best songwriter the UK have ever sent. To the keeping our name comment the UK hardly needs eurovision to showcase that we are a country, its a bit of musical fun. if you really wanna go back to the MYMU days you may, but it was the worst selection ever. :?

My point about ALW is that he is a former successful composer, he hasn't written a hit musical since Sunset Boulevard in 1993, and even that lost a bucket of money. I thought last year's song, while beautifully performed by Jade, was lazy. It did well perhaps because it was well-hyped, I don't know, but was still well beaten.

Given the enormous musical talent there is in the UK I'd like to see someone represent the UK who writes and performs one of their own songs, a song that is true to their art and not a cynical, commercial 'product'. I know it would never happen, but someone like Kate Rusby, Katie Melua or Joss Stone given a free hand to enter a self-penned song. No national final, they get terrible TV ratings anyway, just "This is our entry, what do you think Europe?"

Kirkland

Given the enormous musical talent there is in the UK I'd like to see someone represent the UK who writes and performs one of their own songs, a song that is true to their art and not a cynical, commercial 'product'. I know it would never happen, but someone like Kate Rusby, Katie Melua or Joss Stone given a free hand to enter a self-penned song. No national final, they get terrible TV ratings anyway, just "This is our entry, what do you think Europe?"
Your country need you was constantly over 5 million which is about the same as what 'So you think you can dance' is getting. So I don't think ratings are that bad.

TF100

Kirkland said:
Your country need you was constantly over 5 million which is about the same as what 'So you think you can dance' is getting. So I don't think ratings are that bad.

To be fair, 5 million for that slot is well below average for BBC1, and "So You Think You Can Dance" is indeed considered a ratings flop.

The smart money this year is on a one-off show on February 20th, incidentally.

TF100

BBC Events team have tweeted "Thing we know: Morrissey offered to go to Eurovision in 2007 - but the BBC wouldn't cancel its Making Your Mind Up show, so he pulled out.". Is this a hint?

Top Bottom