Contact us

UNITED KINGDOM 2010 - Josh Dubovie - That Sounds Good to Me

how do you rate the entry?

• Total voters

PoppySnuggleGlass

As you’ve already admitted, the artist with the best voice, ‘scientifically’ usually never wins, as people tend to focus more on the quality of the song writing and the arrangement. Unfortunately for Josh, both were pants.

Although I will add, that Josh has sung a lot better in the past, and is particularly adept at singing in a swing/rat pack style. Unfortunately he’s still young and inexperienced, and his nervousness showed through on the night. But even if the song was pitch perfect; it was still utter tripe, and stood no chance of coming in the top twenty anyway.

What are we trying to prove here again?

Blimey, it’s only a song contest!

Samb

^This.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
The BBC's ESC coverage was watched by only 5.5 viewers on Saturday...which means more than 2 million down from the prior year. :(

uk....winner

Think that this is mainly due to the song. If people knew we had a good song with a decent chance of success, I think the viewing figures would be higher.

hawadharma

What a bad song choice. :?

bashers

The song was dire, had no chance of even getting above 25th place and that is why people don't bother to tune in.

His voice ON the night was not great, I agree. But if you listen to his voice previously, he is definately a better singer than some others. His inexperience just couldnt match his enthusiasm which is a shame. Either way, even if he sang out of his skin, he would never have won with a song like that!

We don't need Pete Waterman but the format one of you suggested about weeks of showcasing songs sounds great. We dont need well known composers but decent singers with a decent song!

FallenAngelII

Samb said:
Okay, if you're going to quote me in a response you should better read yourself and not lump people in. You'll notice most of this thread I haven't really referred to Josh at all - more often the way we select our song, that we have a poor song etc. And heck, I even say in a post that Josh has very little personality! Sure, really sounds that i'm heaping praise on the man!
What, again you reply to a post of mine without reading what I wrote?

You: This is the point about relevance in a nutshell. Eurovision watchers and voters don't care about the scientific level of pitch accuracy. Unless you're one of these gifted people with a perfect set of ears and pitch recollection?
Me: Have you, you know, read some of the posts in this thread. A whole a bajillion Brits have come in here praising his vocals as if he's some kind of prodigy, as if his voice is great as it stands, as if he was one of the best singers in the contest this year. [Which is why I pulled the scientifically verifiable argument.

I never said you said anything about his voice. You were ranting about how people don't care if he was scientifically speaking 4th worst in the final vocally speaking. I pointed out that that's neither here nor there, the argument was used to prove a point, to disprove the claims of some people (and never once did I refer to you).

The "You"s was a generic you, which you (that is you, Samb) would've realized had you not read everything I write as if it's some kind of personal attack on you.

Samb said:
My point was more that Euroision fans and enthusiasts that watch the show couldn't give a toss about 'scientific facts' and when it comes to something like a song contest don't need scientific research to tell them what acts they can and cannot like.
Which has nothing to do with the argument you just stumbled into the middle of without bothering to read up on the entire argument.

Seriously, you just saw one of my countless posts in this thread and decided to "refute" it despite it being a part of a whole. And I just told you why your argument has nothing to do with my argument, yet you repeat it!

Samb said:
In something by its very nature is goin to be about personal tastes and to an extent national and regional tastes, a pitch study does not matter because something like singing is notm purely formulaic. You should probably get off your high horse.
Vocal ability is not subjective. Vocal preference is subjective, as in "I prefer his/her voice over his/her voice". Vocal ability is not. My argument is that vocally speaking, Josh is mediocre at best. Stick to the subject or butt out of an argument that didn't even involve you to begin with.

Also, clearly Europe has spoken. Out of all 25 entries in the final, Josh was he least liked entry, even among the Western European countries. That should tell you something.

PoppySnuggleGlass said:
What are we trying to prove here again?
Don't send inexperienced singers whose nerves will get the best of them and make them perform at a noticeably lower level than they are usually capable, and pay special care not to send inexperienced singers with songs which are pants?

Seriously, I predicted Sweden and the UK to do badly (UK to be Bottom 5, Sweden to miss the final or be Bottom 5 in the final had we qualified) months in advance because both countries make the same mistakes:
Send "fresh", young, inexperienced artists whose nerves got the best of them singing songs which were clearly pants.

If either of our countries wish to do better in the future, people need to learn to vote forth better entries (in your case, the selection process has to change so that you have better choices seeing as how you had no choice when it came to the song this year and Josh was simply the lesser of all evils, in our case, the Swedish people need a swift kick in the seat of their pants).

Olli

when you have a low standard song, and you sell it like saturday, than you finish last in eurovision.....

maybe a better performance and better backings (they were so awful) had save the UK from being last, but also with the best performance it was a bottom 5 song.....

sorry for my favorite eurovision country, but the 2010 waterman project was dead from the very first beginning :-(

and i feel sorry for josh. he was by far the best in this project, and did not deserve this composer and song!

Samb

I don't think you understand in the slightest.

You: This is the point about relevance in a nutshell. Eurovision watchers and voters don't care about the scientific level of pitch accuracy. Unless you're one of these gifted people with a perfect set of ears and pitch recollection?
Me: Have you, you know, read some of the posts in this thread. A whole a bajillion Brits have come in here praising his vocals as if he's some kind of prodigy, as if his voice is great as it stands, as if he was one of the best singers in the contest this year. [Which is why I pulled the scientifically verifiable argument.

I never said you said anything about his voice. You were ranting about how people don't care if he was scientifically speaking 4th worst in the final vocally speaking. I pointed out that that's neither here nor there, the argument was used to prove a point, to disprove the claims of some people (and never once did I refer to you).

Scientifically verifyiable investigations on pitch do not invalidate someone's objective opinion about whether a singer is good or not.

Seriously, you just saw one of my countless posts in this thread and decided to "refute" it despite it being a part of a whole. And I just told you why your argument has nothing to do with my argument, yet you repeat it!

Scientifically verifyiable investigations on pitch do not invalidate someone's objective opinion about whether a singer is good or not.

Vocal ability is not subjective

I wonder if you'd be saying this if there wasn't a handy investigation on the subject. Just because you say that it is not subjective doesn't make it so. In fact, I would argue semantics on this one. I think the entire definition is up or debate.

If either of our countries wish to do better in the future, people need to learn to vote forth better entries (in your case, the selection process has to change so that you have better choices seeing as how you had no choice when it came to the song this year and Josh was simply the lesser of all evils, in our case, the Swedish people need a swift kick in the seat of their pants).

In the British case, I absolutely agree.

thms

i thought our song last year was dire.. but i still tuned in
i think the winning song.. including this year's.. has been dire for years.. but i still tuned in
i am not exclusively a supporter of uk song.. i listen to all the songs then pick my favourite..
so if the uk sent 'a winner' next year.. chances are i will prefer another country's song..

Sim

The final of the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest drew disappointing viewing figures for the public broadcaster BBC One. A total of 5.54 million Britons (24.4% market share) tuned in to watch the competition, 2.3 million down on the 2009 results, thus marking an all-time low for the contest in the UK. Eurovision then became the second most-watched option of the night, far behind ITV's Britain's got talent, with 9.35 million viewers and a market share of 38,7%.

MrJadeEwen

well three reasons for that

1) BBC never promoted it, last year their were adverts, newspaper reports, magazine articles all about eurovision, ALW made lots of promotion through chat shows amongst other things.

2) When people hate the song they don't tune it... Crappy song = No Viewers

3) Britain's Got Talent was on the other side so ITV had a lot of the viewing audience

MrJadeEwen

and everyone goes mad for Britain's Got Talent .. Doctor Who had viewing figures lower than usual. I'm sure last year BGT and Eurovision didn't run at the same time which obviously helped the figures last year.

MrJadeEwen

If BBC want more viewers in 2011 they need a good song written by a good songwriter, that has the song promoted on radio 1 and using Ross + Norton chat shows to promote the singer.

NeilPoints

Mmm....I don't think you can have Ross, Norton and Britains Got Talent in the same sentence. :lol:

The BBC continue to fling our licence fee at these useless 'celebrities' who are nothing but irritating mouthpieces.
Jonathan Woss has no talent what so ever. And should have been given the sack last year.
And Graham Norton should be replaced on the Eurovision commentary by Ken Bruce...whose dry humour is hilarious
plus he knows what's going on. ;)

Samb

Alan Carr is the most irritating person known to man :lol:

Well, maybe Russell Brand as well.

Top Bottom