7 4.1%

14 8.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

AndroZeus

According to the betting odds, this is predicted to be a top-3-finish entry? Well, you're in for some delusion and disappointment.
That bookie prediction is not about the quality of the song, it's about the war.

Brandt

That bookie prediction is not about the quality of the song, it's about the war.
i wish people could have understood that the position ukraine is in since last year has been more about the politic situation than the song themselves. and when you say these things you are suddenly accused of being a ukrainephobic, russia-lover, ruble-owner or what nonsense ever. Given the circumstances I would not be surprised if Ukraine wins again out of all the pity votes.

AndroZeus

i wish people could have understood that the position ukraine is in since last year has been more about the politic situation than the song themselves. and when you say these things you are suddenly accused of being a ukrainephobic, russia-lover, ruble-owner or what nonsense ever. Given the circumstances I would not be surprised if Ukraine wins again out of all the pity votes.
I also don't think it was necessarily wrong for Ukraine to win last year even though it wasn't the best song. Voting has always to some degree been political - like, Azerbaijan and Armenia always put each other last place, Cyprus gives Greece 12 points, so on. It's never been a simple "best song wins".

Brandt

I also don't think it was necessarily wrong for Ukraine to win last year even though it wasn't the best song. Voting has always to some degree been political - like, Azerbaijan and Armenia always put each other last place, Cyprus gives Greece 12 points, so on. It's never been a simple "best song wins".
Despite of the politics, it wouldn't 100% affect the winning song, to be honest. Despite of all the friendly votes and enemy non votes, the winning song is often the favorite song that would have won either way. Last year that wasn't the case, though. The crazy amount of vote margin between the winner and the runner-up shows it quite well.

hijirio

Veteran
Despite of the politics, it wouldn't 100% affect the winning song, to be honest. Despite of all the friendly votes and enemy non votes, the winning song is often the favorite song that would have won either way. Last year that wasn't the case, though. The crazy amount of vote margin between the winner and the runner-up shows it quite well.
Yeah who are we kidding lmao Ukraine won both 2016 and 2022 because of politics.
I would have much preferred if they had won instead in 2007, 2008, 2009 and in 2019 with Maruv xcheer xcheer

Brandt

Yeah who are we kidding lmao Ukraine won both 2016 and 2022 because of politics.
I would have much preferred if they had won instead in 2007, 2008, 2009 and in 2019 with Maruv xcheer xcheer
2009 was truly iconic tbh. Everything about it is excellent - song, performance, the energy, Svetlana's dancers :p

hijirio

Veteran

hijirio

Veteran
Lads, It's April 2023 how many times do we need to have this discourse
On the other hand it's been 10 years but people still accuse Azerbaijan of buying SIM cards while there has been no credible concrete proof presented to back the claim.
Oddly enough I haven't seen anyone get tired of those accusations after 10 years.

AndroZeus

On the other hand it's been 10 years but people still accuse Azerbaijan of buying SIM cards while there has been no credible concrete proof presented to back the claim.
Oddly enough I haven't seen anyone get tired of those accusations after 10 years.
That has literally nothing to do with this.

simori95

Can we agree to disagree maybe? Either way, there is no proof for either claim, there will never be and therefore it’s unlikely that anyone‘s set opinions will change.

Especially, it bothers me when this discourse is projected onto this year, because, apart from Ukraine being third (not first, mind you) in the betting odds although it’s received less well by the fandom, there is absolutely no indicator that the solidarity for ukraine will influence the vote this year (which does not mean that I think Ukraine won solely based on solidarity voting last year, just means I am specifically focussing on 2023) whatsoever. At large in society, I have seen more and more people actually get tired of the situation resulting in almost animosity against Ukraine sometimes, and for most people, the situation turned into the „new normal“ so that they don’t even pay too much mind anymore.

Sure, this (luckily) doesn’t include everyone, but A this doesn’t mean that those will vote for Ukraine because they sympathise with them in a war event and B even if one is dead set on thinking that there is a positive bias towards ukraine, it’s really impossible to claim that there is a pull towards Ukraine large enough to make that much of a difference if the song were bad.

Taste is different, as always, and the song surely won’t appeal to everyone, as can be seen by the reactions in the bubble, but it is a song that could very much appeal to the mainstream and is arguably pretty well produced. I could see it be very well received in may regardless of any politics, so there is no proof that even the betting odds are expecting a good placement just because of the war.

Ockay, this remix and the video are insanely goooood!

I also see some references to current or last year situation and the song's message, but won't get into it bc trolls would then flourish here again.

Also both of these guys are so well dressed and so good looking in every occasion.

Fierro

Yes, :ua: 2009 should have won. I remember it was my first Eurovision I ever watched live as a 14 y.o. kid and i was hugely disappointed after Grand Final because of our result. It was like my fav Ukrainian ESC entry at the time and Svetlana was robbed

In general, I would like to relive 2009 all over again from the beginning. Such a great year.

Bmbriga

Ockay, this remix and the video are insanely goooood!

I also see some references to current or last year situation and the song's message, but won't get into it bc trolls would then flourish here again.

Also both of these guys are so well dressed and so good looking in every occasion.
That remix all in Ukrainian would probably be my No.1 song this year xexcuseme

Brandt

So apparently Ruslana was the only Ukrainian winner who wasn't invited to perform in this year's edition as she posted online. Sorry Ruslana you needed to win with a politic song to be seen by the Ukrainian broadcaster. I guess they invited her later after the social media reactions. And of course it is not a politic act at all, Ukraine is like the least politic country in the competition, folks. Let's keep defending all the politic acts Ukraine takes with the motto it is not politic at all. 🤡

AlekS

Veteran
So apparently Ruslana was the only Ukrainian winner who wasn't invited to perform in this year's edition as she posted online. Sorry Ruslana you needed to win with a politic song to be seen by the Ukrainian broadcaster. I guess they invited her later after the social media reactions. And of course it is not a politic act at all, Ukraine is like the least politic country in the competition, folks. Let's keep defending all the politic acts Ukraine takes with the motto it is not politic at all. 🤡
raw

Top Bottom