• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

Стефанія мамо мамо Стефанія
Розквітає поле, а вона сивіє
Заспівай мені мамо колискову
Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово

Вона мене колисала дала мені ритм і напевне силу волі не забрати в мене, бо дала вона
Напевне знала може більше і від Соломона
Ламаними дорогами прийду я завжди до тебе
Вона не розбудить, не будить, мене в сильні бурі
Забере в бабулі дві дулі, ніби вони кулі
Дуже добре знала мене не була обманута, як була дуже втомлена, гойдала мене в такт
Люлі люлі люлі...

Я не в пеленах но ма но ма, хватить, як би я не виріс на виріст за речі платить
Я не мала дитина, вона далі нерви тратить, я гуляв, шляк би тебе трафив
Ти все молода о мамо на піку, якщо не ціню опіку на піку слави мені в тупику
Забивайте піку цю піку, я би попік спік, своєю любов'ю
Люлі люлі люлі...

Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово​

Last edited by a moderator:

hijirio

Veteran
Also I'm wondering, what would have happened if Rosa Linn said 'Free Artsakh, help Armenia' after her performance?
Or if Konstrakta said "Help Kosovo i Metoxija'?
I guess Ukraine has immunity from Eurovision's political neutrality principle? Or EBU turned a blind eye to it due to mass public acceptance?
Kalush would have won anyway, but they wanted to make it 100% sure by making a political statement right after their performance.
As if their win was not already political, they blatantly made it obvious.

Datura

The song had nothing to do with the war in the first place. It was about a mother and now they’re baiting for sympathy by diverting the song’s meaning, it’s very unethical in my opinion to take opportunity of the war for their personal interest xshrug
oh cmon they are not "baiting for sympathy" - that is the current situation they have to deal with. they shine a light on it, i think ur comment is very shallow tbh. some things are bigger than a song contest
(and i'm not one of the people who would have chosen ukraine as the winner)

edit: gotta say though that releasing a perfectly produced pop-video set in the war just after winning the esc gives me kind of ambivalent feelings. still.

Last edited:

Kaz

The song had nothing to do with the war in the first place. It was about a mother and now they’re baiting for sympathy by diverting the song’s meaning, it’s very unethical in my opinion to take opportunity of the war for their personal interest xshrug
Wdym unethical? They're literally presenting their direct experiences as a result of what has happened to their country. For something to be 'unethical' by definition requires them to be exploiting something for personal gain, they're not exploiting the war when they're singing about their own personal experiences and suffering.

It would be unethical if Russia was to send a song about how the war in Ukraine.

Yes the song wasn't originally about the war itself but it's taken upon a new context. Any song can shift meaning in different contexts, whether the singer's lives or the audiences lives change, or even just depending on the way it is presented on stage. And that is normal. Prior to the performance, how many people interpreted "Sekret" to be about a bisexual fantasy? Or how many people thought that "Not the Same" was about growing up queer, until Sheldon said that it was actually intended to be about growing up with Asperger's? A song's meaning can change whenever the artist damn well feels like changing it.

hijirio

Veteran
Wdym unethical? They're literally presenting their direct experiences as a result of what has happened to their country. For something to be 'unethical' by definition requires them to be exploiting something for personal gain, they're not exploiting the war when they're singing about their own personal experiences and suffering.

It would be unethical if Russia was to send a song about how the war in Ukraine.

Yes the song wasn't originally about the war itself but it's taken upon a new context. Any song can shift meaning in different contexts, whether the singer's lives or the audiences lives change, or even just depending on the way it is presented on stage. And that is normal. Prior to the performance, how many people interpreted "Sekret" to be about a bisexual fantasy? Or how many people thought that "Not the Same" was about growing up queer, until Sheldon said that it was actually intended to be about growing up with Asperger's? A song's meaning can change whenever the artist damn well feels like changing it.

You're right, but Kalush doesn't have a good history with manipulations. After the drama they created in Vidbir, it makes me believe they could do everything just to win, including taking opportunity of a tragic war. Anywaysssss I have nothing against Ukraine it's one of my favorite ESC countries and they deserved to win each time they came 2nd, I'll count this as a victory they sadly missed out in 2019 with Maruv xqueenbitch I'm only targeting Kalush here as I can't trust them after what they did in Vidbir, but most of Europe didn't know this when they voted for them soooo xshrug

mup

Speaking of toxicity, this nasty comment towards Ukraine is so vile:

56g758d.png

(We won't win Eurovision but you won't win the war either)

And the poster is even proud about it. :sick:

I posted this in the Spanish thread, but I wanted to share it here to show how salty and bitter some fans are.

Ukraine's victory was certainly pushed by current events, but it's also very "Eurovision-y", in the spirit of Eurovision, to promote peace among countries.xhug

Although winning ESC is of no practical help in the war, I hope that this win helps Ukrainians in keeping their spirits high! (y)

midnightsun

Veteran
Funny. I don’t remember the bias here when Jamala won with a much worse song (musicwise at least) CLEARLY due to the political situation. Her lyrics were intense and had me too, I admit, but to date I still don’t like the song (melody). Jamala is praised as one of the best Eurovision winners on Social Media. People were in tears when she sang during the pre-Eurovision time this year (me too).
Now where are your tears for Kalush orchestra now? Because they have an uptempo song? Duh!

AlekS

Veteran
Also I'm wondering, what would have happened if Rosa Linn said 'Free Artsakh, help Armenia' after her performance?
Or if Konstrakta said "Help Kosovo i Metoxija'? I guess Ukraine has immunity from Eurovision's political neutrality principle?

We don't call to break somebody's sovereignty :rolleyes:
Speaking of Serbia, it's not more political than using a COVID/healthcare theme :unsure:
Ok, Armenia... it's just a "coincidence" that June 22 was the day after Snap elections results had been announced in the evening.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
We don't call to break somebody's sovereignty :rolleyes:
Speaking of Serbia, it's not more political than using a COVID/healthcare theme :unsure:
Ok, Armenia... it's just a coincidence that Junne 22 was the day after Snap elections results had been announced.
This. These situations are not even comparable.

When it comes to international law, "Artsakh" is Azerbaijani territory and Armenia occupies the region - wheares Mariupol is undeniably internatonally recognised as Ukrainian territory. Also, there´s no "local war happening at occupied and disuputed region" happening but mass murdering - an attempt to completely expunge a sovereign country - neglecting a whole nation´s history, culture and existence - Russia is not trying to get "occupied areas" back.

ALSO, we´ve had several political statements and songs by Armenian artists over the years and none of the artists got disqualified, including singing about remembering a genocide, using national symbols and metaphors to sing about "renewing the motherland", waving the flag of an occupied region during a live Eurovision event.

Armenia got sanctioned - Iceland also got sanctioned in 2019 (aka having to pay a fee).

If the EBU wants to stay true to their rules, etc, they may want to sanction the Ukrainian delegation (asking them to pay a few hundreds of € to pay as fees) for that "Save Mariupol" comment - but that´s it.

lacrymea

I posted this in the Spanish thread, but I wanted to share it here to show how salty and bitter some fans are.

Ukraine's victory was certainly pushed by current events, but it's also very "Eurovision-y", in the spirit of Eurovision, to promote peace among countries.xhug

Although winning ESC is of no practical help in the war, I hope that this win helps Ukrainians in keeping their spirits high! (y)
That is such a stupid post. Wtf? But I'm not surprised. I saw people wishing they were bombed so that they could receive more points. Talk about being in the bubble.

Anyway, the majority spoke. So I'll try to dismiss stupid arguments. They say more about the people who wrote them than anything else.

In 1990 in ZAGREB, THEN YUGOSLAVIA, Italian Toto Cutugno had won the ESC amidst FALL OF BERLIN WALL, AND DISSOLUTION OF USSR AND YUGOSLAVIA, by a decision of JURIES ONLY, with a song UNITE EUROPE!

How was that not political?

ESC has always been political, deal with it and stop crying.

Kalush at least won with a non-political song from the get-go by a decision of the biggest televote in history of competition. The only ones you can be mad of are the Europeans coming together.

Last edited:

lilka

Funny. I don’t remember the bias here when Jamala won with a much worse song (musicwise at least) CLEARLY due to the political situation. Her lyrics were intense and had me too, I admit, but to date I still don’t like the song (melody). Jamala is praised as one of the best Eurovision winners on Social Media. People were in tears when she sang during the pre-Eurovision time this year (me too).
Now where are your tears for Kalush orchestra now? Because they have an uptempo song? Duh!
Excuse me... WHAT? Worse than "Stefania"? I can't believe I'm reading something like this. xwall

midnightsun

Veteran
Taste differs. I said melody-wise. To me there is hardly any melody in Jamala's song. The only thing which is intense are her voice, performance and lyrics. But I have listend to Kalush 20x times more often now than ever to Jamala‘s song. It‘s something I like to see not to listen to.
Alina Pash would have been one of my favourite entries ever, Kalush not so much. Their song wasn’t in my top 10 but it was very good live, not too bad, I‘d put them around #15.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
? Jamala is still super hated to this day? Whilst there are many people praising her as one of the best winners, there are also lots of comments about how she is one of the worst winners ever/how she won with a political song/how Sergey or Dami should have won

allenakaalan

? Jamala is still super hated to this day? Whilst there are many people praising her as one of the best winners, there are also lots of comments about how she is one of the worst winners ever/how she won with a political song/how Sergey or Dami should have won
Not to mention the fact that even after all that's happened, she is still getting hate for the "Crimea is Ukraine" thing. I've also seen people trashing her for fleeing the country, even though she has been fundraising and advocating for Ukraine basically every single day since then. :confused:

midnightsun

Veteran
Sorry to hear what happened to her!

All I know is she seems to be a super popular winner within the ESC bubble and most comments I ever read about her were not negative.

I stick to my opinion though. People getting all emotional when it comes to Jamala but not when it’s about Kalush? Let the song aside, I cried yesterday during Kalush‘s performance when I said to my husband "imagine you have to perform in front of millions of people, knowing you have to go back to war in your country the next day".

Franzilein

I don't think this would have won in peaceful times (my guess would be 5-10th place) but in this year, it's okay. I'd almost argue that this is the true essence of the ESC, created to bring together a war-torn continent, to unite through music. What a beautiful message from Europe to Ukraine, letting them know that so many people support them. I am totally fine with the result under these circumstances.

Top Bottom