• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

Стефанія мамо мамо Стефанія
Розквітає поле, а вона сивіє
Заспівай мені мамо колискову
Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово

Вона мене колисала дала мені ритм і напевне силу волі не забрати в мене, бо дала вона
Напевне знала може більше і від Соломона
Ламаними дорогами прийду я завжди до тебе
Вона не розбудить, не будить, мене в сильні бурі
Забере в бабулі дві дулі, ніби вони кулі
Дуже добре знала мене не була обманута, як була дуже втомлена, гойдала мене в такт
Люлі люлі люлі...

Я не в пеленах но ма но ма, хватить, як би я не виріс на виріст за речі платить
Я не мала дитина, вона далі нерви тратить, я гуляв, шляк би тебе трафив
Ти все молода о мамо на піку, якщо не ціню опіку на піку слави мені в тупику
Забивайте піку цю піку, я би попік спік, своєю любов'ю
Люлі люлі люлі...

Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
Why do you keep quoting my message about our postcard?

Ehm, I can quote what I want... so... anyways just a second quote from the original comment, what's the issue here?

Reason why is that we can see it's not just the postcard since they recently wore this mess again at Israel Calling (where the photo is taken from), so someone on their team might have really had a plan that this is the way forward.

Hopefully not, I want the entry to be successful and for Ukraine to be taken seriously, it's a good entry plus Ukraine need this platform and all the goodwill they can get, so present it as a joke would be a misstep.

Now, I see where the inspiration is taken from (it's a mixture of some folk tradition and military), so I "get it", it's just not well executed and looks messy and certainly most Europeans will just see it that way.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Oh. I didn't even recognise that it should represent some military elements....I thought they tried to resemble some creatures from the swamps - pretenfing to be some Slavic guys from Lord of the Rings' Mordor or something. Or at least, recreating some sense of being high....

Sorry for my ignorance but I really didn't get their outfit at all.

Zerocalcare

Instead I think that everyone must be and do what he wants (as one can quote whoever he wants) without the fear of being judged. As Emma sings "I Am What I Am" the Eurovision Song Contest must celebrate diversity. No what the public wants.

Aside from the fact that there are people who hope that "Ukraine will do well" when it has been read clearly or under the lines for months that they fear that Ukraine will win by "a vote of mercy", in the world will never be able to please all. Someone will always invent a defect even if it doesn't exist. We should take the example of the Måneskin who have won by making fun of all those who speak but who actually do not know what they are talking about. One of the least politically correct songs of the Eurovision Song Contest.

I like the originality of the Kalush Orchestra and I also think that at Israel Calling they are among the few who sang and made their song sound good compared to others who performed disastrous vocal rehearsals and took a step back.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Oh. I didn't even recognise that it should represent some military elements....I thought they tried to resemble some creatures from the swamps - pretenfing to be some Slavic guys from Lord of the Rings' Mordor or something. Or at least, recreating some sense of being high....

Sorry for my ignorance but I really didn't get their outfit at all.

Now I can't find a picture of it and I am not 100proc sure (someone from Ukraine can confirm), but the whole stripes/drapes inspiration comes from some folk tradition and then with the chosen roughness and color pattern we see in the Kalush version is clearly army inspired (especially those soldiers that are using similar to cover themselves from the enemies), so I do think I "get" the concept but yeah, Europe will only see ugly messy costumes so...

Those are camouflage nets and I guess, as they were spending last days of the invasion in Lviv, that they chose them as Ukrainian women there have organised all women, old and young, to sow the nets from old clothes and rugs. CRO TV aired a story about these women in Lviv a few weeks ago.

It's some type of message - our women / mothers (the song is about a mom) used to make our traditional carpets (that they wore at Vidbir), but now they sow camouflage nets for our soldiers.

sound good compared to others who performed disastrous vocal rehearsals and took a step back.

Yeeees, judging by Israel Calling performance that was vocally impecable, and they even added a second traditional vocal, they've been preparing seriously and professionally for the ESC.

It wasn't easy for them to deliver quality in Israel as now they have 2 distinct rap lines and 2 traditional vocals, meaning they have to practice really hard to make it sound coherent in live performance.

It's obvius that they don't rely on political preferences of the ESC audience / voters, but want to deliver a professional performance and achieve fairly whatever they would achieve in May.

A-lister

Veteran
Of course you can, but you quoted my message about our postcard, so I'm asking again ... wtf? :LOL: His head is not covered there *confused*

Hehe, nah I referred not so much to the postcard but the choice of clothing in general.

It is not so easy to see him now and I'd rather see him with less clothes than more :lol:

StephenMuckle

I think juries will be in a very difficult position in May. This isn't a typical jury friendly song and in normal circumstances, this could have been a similar situation to Conan Osiris, except it might have qualified. Juries will either feel compelled to mark it down out of fear of being influenced by the current situation, or mark it much higher than it should be because sensationalists and the utterly pig ignorant will accuse juries of being pro Russia if they ignore them. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

b4ld3r

I think juries will be in a very difficult position in May. This isn't a typical jury friendly song and in normal circumstances, this could have been a similar situation to Conan Osiris, except it might have qualified. Juries will either feel compelled to mark it down out of fear of being influenced by the current situation, or mark it much higher than it should be because sensationalists and the utterly pig ignorant will accuse juries of being pro Russia if they ignore them. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.
Not sure that Conan Osiris is the best comparison, I think that they're more like Joci Papai or Go_A, in terms of accessibility at least. But yeah, while it's obvious that Kalush will do very well with the televote (and without a doubt would have been even without the current situation due to the strength of the song and the visual impact) it's going to be interesting to see how the juries react. Go_A managed to come 9th with the juries, so that seems like it should be the minimum, although their song might've been seen as a little more jury friendly.

My biggest hope is that they actually create a performance that's a bit more dynamic, as the camera angles and over all choreography at the moment feels a little bit just "thrown together". Especially during the last minute of instrumental I hope they don't just stick to a bunch of wide shots and get them some more focused choreography to do. However the Vidbir stage is a lot smaller than the one in Turin, so I'm sure they'll fix this come May.

As an aside I'll say that I actually like the "bush-people" costumes quite a lot, but it will be interesting to see what else they come up with for the new ones.

Last edited:

Bmbriga

Those are camouflage nets and I guess, as they were spending last days of the invasion in Lviv, that they chose them as Ukrainian women there have organised all women, old and young, to sow the nets from old clothes and rugs. CRO TV aired a story about these women in Lviv a few weeks ago.

It's some type of message - our women / mothers (the song is about a mom) used to make our traditional carpets (that they wore at Vidbir), but now they sow camouflage nets for our soldiers.
They were wearing those costumes in Shtomber Womber video and also in promotion for Stefania before the escalation of the war. I think you're reading to much into it.
I don't know if it's connected to some old folk tradition, it could be, but it seems they just really like those rags. :D
Cool if rag costumes have some backstory, but I'm not going to lie, I completely hate them, but if they love them... Be my guest. You do you.
Two of them had the same thing in Vidbir in different colour pallet, instrumentalists in the back. It looked much better, imo.

A-lister

Veteran

Or the juries start to actually vote for interesting entries for a change, now that would be the most radical change.

Eurovision needs stuff like Kalush and Go_A, not dated American Idol ballads with zero connection to European cultures or today's music.

StephenMuckle

Or the juries start to actually vote for interesting entries for a change, now that would be the most radical change.

Eurovision needs stuff like Kalush and Go_A, not dated American Idol ballads with zero connection to European cultures or today's music.

Some countries like the UK have no real cultural elements in their music at all. Yet the UK is one of the leaders in global music. But it always seems to me like the fandom only seems to like "ethnic" songs. It seems to particularly hate Scandipop, which was actually the very thing that drew me more and more towards Eurovision in the first place. Especially if Ukraine wins this year, Could we see a potential situation where other countries in Western Europe might try to send songs that they think sound either, let's say Greek, Turkish or Slavic just to please the fandom, but in the end they end up being something they're not. Kind of like Javine in 2005, people were saying the UK were trying to copy Turkey.

They were wearing those costumes in Shtomber Womber video and also in promotion for Stefania before the escalation of the war. I think you're reading to much into it.
I don't know if it's connected to some old folk tradition, it could be, but it seems they just really like those rags. :D
Cool if rag costumes have some backstory, but I'm not going to lie, I completely hate them, but if they love them... Be my guest. You do you.
Two of them had the same thing in Vidbir in different colour pallet, instrumentalists in the back. It looked much better, imo.

You are absolutely right as for WiWis they stated, 2 days ago, that those are some "traditional costumes" of Ukraine.

Though I don't see any traditional elements in that clothes, but I guess they know better 🤣

Bmbriga

You are absolutely right as for WiWis they stated, 2 days ago, that those are some "traditional costumes" of Ukraine.

Though I don't see any traditional elements in that clothes, but I guess they know better 🤣
I guess it's something like our "zvončari". Connected to some specific date celebration.

Edit: Talking about zvončari I just found "Žejanski zvončari" and they wear something similar plus the lollipops on top of their heads :giggle:

ZEJANE-ZVONCAR6389-copy.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom