• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

Стефанія мамо мамо Стефанія
Розквітає поле, а вона сивіє
Заспівай мені мамо колискову
Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово

Вона мене колисала дала мені ритм і напевне силу волі не забрати в мене, бо дала вона
Напевне знала може більше і від Соломона
Ламаними дорогами прийду я завжди до тебе
Вона не розбудить, не будить, мене в сильні бурі
Забере в бабулі дві дулі, ніби вони кулі
Дуже добре знала мене не була обманута, як була дуже втомлена, гойдала мене в такт
Люлі люлі люлі...

Я не в пеленах но ма но ма, хватить, як би я не виріс на виріст за речі платить
Я не мала дитина, вона далі нерви тратить, я гуляв, шляк би тебе трафив
Ти все молода о мамо на піку, якщо не ціню опіку на піку слави мені в тупику
Забивайте піку цю піку, я би попік спік, своєю любов'ю
Люлі люлі люлі...

Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово​

Last edited by a moderator:

cegs5

Thinking Ukraine will win or is favourite in the bookies just because of the war is the ultimate shade. Every year people find some kind of ridiculous explanation to justify why a song they might not be a big fan is topping the predictions… but using a tragical situation like a war is absolutely disdainful. Kind of remind me when people couldn’t accept Salvador won by landslide and atributed his slaying success to the fact that he had a serious heart disease... absurd.

Last edited:

Bmbriga

Btw, does anyone have an idea why the breakdancer in Kalush is wrapped fully in what seems to be the Ukrainian fabric motif? Correct me if I'm wrong, however.
He's always like that, not just for ESC. It's a carpet pattern and his name is MC Killimen with "kilim" meaning carpet in Ukrainan. He's a carpet.
I also can't help but feel sad that Alina Pash is not taking part, it would've absolutely crushed this year's competition xcry
Alina Pash's song basically consisted of annoying screeching with random English words and one of the worst English pronunciation ESC stage ever saw.... And not to forget ridicoulous squeezed in extra syllables when trying to sing English translation of the titlexshock1:

timmy121

Thinking Ukraine will win or is favourite in the bookies just because of the war is the ultimate shade. Every year people find some kind of ridiculous explanation to justify why a song they might not be a big fan is topping the predictions… but using a tragical situation like a war is absolutely disfainful. Kind of remind me when people couldn’t accept Salvador won by landslide and atributed his slaying success to the fact that he had a serious heart disease... absurd.
It would have done well in the televote regardless, but there's no doubting it's favorite due to what's going on. People are saying "Ukraine is free money", so piling on the bets. They were 15/1 and now they are 1/2. Do you really think this is a 1/2 shot any other year?

Hamsterwheel

I have yet to see a song win that can't be explained by either the song or it's stage show. I don't see Ukraine (if it does win) as any different...

In truth the top 3 can generally be explained by the staging or the song and most likely a combination of both, that people want to add more elaborate reasons beyond that just seems as making excuses why their favourites didn't win and akin to all those lazy excuses given to why all the winners won except for the obvious one - you personally didn't get the song (or you hated it enough not to understand why others would)...

spinachpie

Thinking Ukraine will win or is favourite in the bookies just because of the war is the ultimate shade. Every year people find some kind of ridiculous explanation to justify why a song they might not be a big fan is topping the predictions… but using a tragical situation like a war is absolutely disfainful. Kind of remind me when people couldn’t accept Salvador won by landslide and atributed his slaying success to the fact that he had a serious heart disease... absurd.
I don't think anyone has ever said just because of the war.

Day before the war it was 12/1. Then it shot up to 2/1 and evens. Those are just the facts of the odds and what people are placing their bets on.

Thinking Ukraine will win or is favourite in the bookies just because of the war is the ultimate shade. Every year people find some kind of ridiculous explanation to justify why a song they might not be a big fan is topping the predictions… but using a tragical situation like a war is absolutely disdainful. Kind of remind me when people couldn’t accept Salvador won by landslide and atributed his slaying success to the fact that he had a serious heart disease... absurd.

Ehh.. its not only 'just' the bookies favourite. The market gave this a winning chance of about 60% which makes this the lowest odds there has ever been for an entry before the live shows.
You can go on a site called tellystats.com and see how Ukraine's odds changed over the course of time. You will see how much it drifted when Alina Pash withdrew and how the odds barely cared when Kalush Orchestra was confirmed to be the replacement. But suddenly, a few days later (coincidentally on the 24th of February) the price crashed and since then the money just keeps piling on Ukraine.

You have to be delusional to think the war has nothing to do with the odds. Suddenly an entry that - while being popular - isnt dominating the polls, a music style which has never been greatly rewarded by the juries is the biggest favourite in history?

Dont get me wrong, I think the song is great (its in my top 5), but to a certain degree this situation reminds of Italy 2017. Back then there were doubts if the entry is even so jury friendly, but the money just kept going on Italy backing him down to a 54% winning chance during rehearsals because everyone was so sure he would set up a new televoting record. It was very hard to argue against that entry until suddenly both Portugal and Bulgaria emerged after the semis. But even if those two had not participated, someone out of the trio Belgium, Moldova or Sweden would have more likely won.
Maybe Ukraine is indeed going to set a new points record with televoters, but I am 100% sure it wouldnt happen without the war narrative.

lacrymea

Ehh.. its not only 'just' the bookies favourite. The market gave this a winning chance of about 60% which makes this the lowest odds there has ever been for an entry before the live shows.
You can go on a site called tellystats.com and see how Ukraine's odds changed over the course of time. You will see how much it drifted when Alina Pash withdrew and how the odds barely cared when Kalush Orchestra was confirmed to be the replacement. But suddenly, a few days later (coincidentally on the 24th of February) the price crashed and since then the money just keeps piling on Ukraine.

You have to be delusional to think the war has nothing to do with the odds. Suddenly an entry that - while being popular - isnt dominating the polls, a music style which has never been greatly rewarded by the juries is the biggest favourite in history?

Dont get me wrong, I think the song is great (its in my top 5), but to a certain degree this situation reminds of Italy 2017. Back then there were doubts if the entry is even so jury friendly, but the money just kept going on Italy backing him down to a 54% winning chance during rehearsals because everyone was so sure he would set up a new televoting record. It was very hard to argue against that entry until suddenly both Portugal and Bulgaria emerged after the semis. But even if those two had not participated, someone out of the trio Belgium, Moldova or Sweden would have more likely won.
Maybe Ukraine is indeed going to set a new points record with televoters, but I am 100% sure it wouldnt happen without the war narrative.
I think it's obvious their chances skyrocketed because of the war context.

What really bothers me (being a fan of the song from the get go) is the narrative that Ukraine is only going to win due to war. As if they'd sent a middle of the road entry that's not worthy of a victory and it's all due to pity votes.

I believe Ukraine has a top5/6 entry regardless of the situation. So if they win, what's the major problem?

You can arguee that it deserves top5 but not 1st place. But that's just a matter of opinion. I think Duncan was top5, not winning material. Netta, same thing. Again, that's just an opinion.

Mainshow

Veteran
Feel free to have a look at Reddit/Facebook ESC fangroups. One or two minutes should be sufficient ;)

(I am pretty sure I cound find the "just because of the war" even here if I wanted to spend enough time)

I just had a minor argument with a friend of mine who posted on our official page (public broadcaster) - apparently, "Ukraine would only win because of the war - musically speaking, there were 5 or more better entries last night - and songs like Spain would be more deserving as a winner".

I gave up. I really enjoy the Spanish entry and I want Chanel to do well but "musically speaking" (he tried to make his arguments sound objective).. I fail to see how "SloMo" should be the most impressive composition in the whole contest - it´s basically just amazing background music for a dance routine :D

hijirio

Veteran
i just saw them on turkish tv: "ukraine takes eurovision by storm"

they are sooooo winnning, bye

HayashiM

Veteran
I just had a minor argument with a friend of mine who posted on our official page (public broadcaster) - apparently, "Ukraine would only win because of the war - musically speaking, there were 5 or more better entries last night - and songs like Spain would be more deserving as a winner".

I gave up. I really enjoy the Spanish entry and I want Chanel to do well but "musically speaking" (he tried to make his arguments sound objective).. I fail to see how "SloMo" should be the most impressive composition in the whole contest - it´s basically just amazing background music for a dance routine :D

I mostly gave up as well - it's mostly just a fight with the windmills around the war argument :)

I actually wouldn't mind a :es: victory - or a :uk: / :se: / :it:'s one, it's just the "we are the only ones deserving of a victory and if we don't get it, it is because of the war / Europe definitely hating us" mentality that's often present in similar cases and which I find truly tiresome...

midnightsun

Veteran
C‘mon even if your siblings are not interested in ESC they have a subconscious mind and know about the situation in the Ukraine.

That doesn’t change the fact it would have been their favourite in any other year. I just wanted to say they are not influenced by "they will win anyway" and therefore choose them. It wasn’t pity votes either because why should they if they don’t care in ESC usually.

lilka

You're right (y)
I love being able to at least partly understand it. In Polish it's the same: "szlag by cię trafił" :D
It may not be my favourite, but I can appreciate the fact that the song has a deeply Ukrainian identity of its own.

Chrisiam

Ukraine's performance from last night is currently trending number 1 on Youtube in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen that for a Eurovision song before outside maybe last year's winner. Hell the UK's act this year barely made it into the top 30 trending for the whole of two days so it isn't just the Eurovision fans giving it a listen it seems.

AlekS

Veteran
Stefania trending on Youtube:

#1 :de: Germany o_O
#1 :uk: UK o_O
#1 :ua: Ukraine
#2 :at: Austria
#3 :ee: Estonia
#3 :lt: Lithuania
#4 :lv: Latvia
#6 :pl: Poland
#9 :fi: Finland
#12 :by: Belarus
#15 :no: Norway
#15 :ru: Russia
#16 :ie: Ireland
#18 :ca: Canada xbow
#19 :cz: Czech Republic
#19 :nl: The Netherlands
#24 :se: Sweden
#25 :be: Belgium
#26 :dk: Denmark
#28 :sk: Slovakia
#37 :il: Israel
#42 :bg: Bulgaria
#49 :ge: Georgia

They have already outperformed Go_A. UK (no diaspora) and Germany are shocking. Some countries are surprising for me too. Like... Finland? 2nd semi, no diaspora xhug

Last edited:
Top Bottom