Сію-вію, сію-вію зеленесеньки

Гей розплетися, Шуме, розплетися,
Зеленим барвінком та й застелися
Сію-вію, сію-вію конопелечки
Сію-вію, сію-вію зеленесеньки​

Last edited by a moderator:

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
It reminds me of all those psytrance songs which use traditional indian music but this time with traditional ukrainian music. xcheer
Exactly, me too. Which is why I can't help but think there's a link between the name "Go_A" and goa trance (Goa being the place in India where goa trance originated from)

marty

For me it is hard to listen to this song. It brings some diversity though which is a good thing. 3 points.

Mrm

Veteran
I still cant get used to her way of singing... and I still find her voice a bit disturbing to listen to. But I like this way better than last year's Solovey. The soung and the beat and the way the beat is picking up is quite intriguing.
But still - no love from me. But it's cool to have songs like this in the ESC - and I can really appreciate that!
This will not be one of my favourites, but certainly not in my bottom list either.
5 - I guess...

Hmmmm... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Should I wait for somebody else to react and tell him what he obviously ISN'T? xpunish

A-lister

Veteran
Another year with comments like "we applaud ethnic elements in Eurovision, we want cultural diversity yay!.... but why is she singing like this ... yuck!" ... :lol:

I mean, yeah I get it that the "white voice" isn't everyone's cup of tea, but either one is genuinely open to different cultural elements in Eurovision or ... I guess not... there are alot of mixed signals...

Don't get me wrong here, everyone are entitled to their own taste of course, but this singing style is very integrated into Slavic music heritage (like half of Europe) so if someone wants to have an open mind to cultural diversity, in particular European (being Eurovision after all), I think a good start is to give this a chance and "train one's ear" to other singing styles other than standard (americanized) Pop vocals...

So far in Eurovision history we had some entries with more prominent "white voice" singing, I'm referring to Bulgaria 2007, 2013, Poland 2019 and now Ukraine 2020-21. Then we had some entries which incorporated some minor parts in "white voice" like Moldova 2009, Poland 2010, Bulgaria 2018 and Serbia 2018. I'd also add Croatia 2006, 2016, Russia 2009, 2012 and Bulgaria 2012 to the list of entries which at least had singing parts that were "inspired" by that heritage. Maybe there were some more entries which I can't think of now, but I applaud Ukraine for not compromising here to "please" some delicate ears, but also manage to combine modern with very traditional, it's truly unique and this is at least to me what Eurovision should be all about.

ayzelto

I like it more than Solovey, but I can’t with all this yelling, it’s just too much. Also I don’t think the juries will like this, but let’s see...

soulm8

My last place confirmed! Even though it sounds at times like Voda(Water), it’s just plain attempt to be original when it turns as repetitive mess. Big no, hope it fails to qualify!

Sammy

Veteran
So as promised, I gave this a couple of listenings to see if my impression would change. And of course it did. The elements I like:

- The flute! Don't cut that out in the final version!
- The beat. That is really something. It has a hypnotizing quality.
- The video: love the energy
- The fact that it's getting faster and faster as the song progresses. That builds up a tension I like.

I also kind of get used to the singing, and I compared it to Solovey. I find it less shrieky this time. Purists maybe would call this a bit polished for western ears, but I can't judge that.

So I think until may this may gain some more points in my ranking. For the moment I change from :1: to :5:

@A-lister
So: Did I understand you correctly: Saying you appreciate ethnic elements but don‘t like this kind of singing is a proof of not being open minded?

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
My last place confirmed! Even though it sounds at times like Voda(Water), it’s just plain attempt to be original when it turns as repetitive mess. Big no, hope it fails to qualify!

Hello, everyone, MalagaToledo's husband is here!

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
This is what I was afraid of, that their 2021 entry wouldn't be that good. :( I LOVED Solovey. It was my 12 pointer last year. Shum is terribly mediocre in comparison. Too electronic-heavy, not enough folk and a bland melody to boot. Maybe it will grow on me, but it's going to have to be a disappointing 5 points for now. Such a shame.

ZoboCamel

I'm on the fence for now regarding this song. I've gotta see how this grows on me, and what the revamp does.

For now, I know that I kinda like it, but also that I slightly preferred Solovey for its extra folk/rock elements. This is on the border of a 6 and a 7; I think I'll give it a 6 for now. Definitely has potential to rise though!

Sammy

Veteran
@VikingTiger
You know, I thought being open minded means to try to understand why people like things you yourself don‘t and not having a quick and final judgment on something or somebody. I didn‘t know that denying your taste or feelings respectively change them to the taste or feelings of others were part of that concept.
Maybe I should be more openminded to that definition of „open-minded“ :lol: :mrgreen:

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister
So: Did I understand you correctly: Saying you appreciate ethnic elements but don‘t like this kind of singing is a proof of not being open minded?
I have exactly the same question..... 🤔

Haha I knew some would come for me with my comment, and that's ok ;)

As I wrote, I completely understand if that style isn't everyone's cup of tea, and people have the taste they have and that's fine (although I believe that we can learn to appreciate different things if we just expose ourselves to it more).

What I meant was more the type of people who are like "oh I love Eurovision because of cultural diversity" and then quickly jump to "yuck, disgusting, what is this ? awful!" , automatically dismissing something because it doesn't conform to what they're already used to. I didn't really mean you guys (yes I did read your comments), more a general reaction since I've seen many comments in that vein when someone claims to like Eurovision for its cultural diversity and then quickly dismisses the same diversity they claim to appreciate.

With that said, I don't think any amount of listening to Mongolese throat singing would make me a fan of the singing style so I'm also guilty to this :lol: To my defense though, Mongolia isn't part of the contest or make up half of a continent's music heritage ;)

WhoKnows

@A-lister

I don't think that personally and I don't think that's what A-lister was saying. In general, fans always complain about all the songs in ESC being mainstream, similar and in English. You always hear how they want songs that are original, ethnic, non-English, etc. But whenever we do get a song like that, the response is usually, "I love THOSE songs, but not THIS one." The only non-English language songs that fans actually respond to are French, Italian and maybe Spanish. The rest in the fan voting are usually radio songs in English.

Mrm

Veteran
Okay ... I constantly keep listening to this song. Last year, I didn't like Solovey so much (I think I gave it a 6 or 7), and now will upgrade from :10: to :12:. Welcome at my top next to France! xlove
You becomes a TRUE SLAVIC SOUL!! xlove xheart

AlekS

Veteran
*Says it sounds like Voda. Closes his eyes at dozens of other pop songs (sometimes from the same producer)*
Different vocals, different folk regions, different folk instruments, different song structure, our choreo is more static to underline the contrast with music etc.
According to such "logic" I can say that Elitsa (voted for her btw) tried to copy Ruslana ;)

Like how many times did we have techno/folktronica/trance on Eurovision?
Less than we've had Fuego wannabees or MF rejects or pop songs, rock songs, Balkan ballads etc (I like Balkan ballads btw xlove).
Similar? Only that they both are women and the genre.

ps. If people who sent Youtube bots (700 dislikes in 5 minutes, saw that with my own eyes) read this. Honey, dislikes also push them into trends. Try harder, hon. I dare you xbeach:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Top Bottom